Surgery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my post of 20th August, when I was very depressed, worn down by the never-ending pain.

Truth to tell, I feel a bit like a fish out of water at times in the Forum, because I don't have scoliosis, but spondylolothesis.

However, I'm grateful to all who have offered reassurance as to the benefits of surgery.

Just to update, then.

I was assessed by the senior consultant surgeon at the Spinal Unit of the local hospital on 26th August.

She advised me to agree to her operating, assuring me that the surgery is nowadays simple and efffective. She promises that I'll be in hospital no more than four days.

Not to have the operation, she says, will most likely result in irreparable damage to the nerves that are being compressed by the displaced vertebra.

I've since spoken to someone who had the same procedure carried out less than a month ago and who says that it's given her complete freedom from pain and has enabled her to resume a normal existence. Her advice to me, then is to grab the opportunity to have the operation as soon as I'm offered the chance.

Apparently, the waiting list isn't too long at present and now that I've accepted that surgery is my only option, I'm eager to get it over and done with.

I'll let you know as soon as I get date through.

Thanks, again

Great news! Once you have a plan in place, it helps you feel like you're pro-actively dealing with the situation. In my case, it pulled me out of feeling hopeless with the pain.
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Hey Ginger,

I just visited your blog site, I have to say I laughed out loud at much of it, humor is great medicine especially during this time. One question, I noted that you said you recently had a massage, I wanted to ask how did you feel afterward, I had one (I'm almost 8 months post-op) and I was sore for 2 days afterward, I tried it again and asked that she not press as hard or go as deep, not after effects. Then (I know backward) I spoke with my surgeon about it and he strongly discouraged me from having the massage and definitely NOT deep tissue at this time. I was just curious if you felt any after effects, I loved the massage and found this young lady at my PT's office. I look forward to being able to return to the massages on a regular basis.

Thanks for any input,

LJ

Comment

Maggie, you sound SO much more hopeful than before. How wonderful you've found more positive influences. Hold tight to them!

Believe me, there are people here who understand chronic pain (scoliosis, spondylolisthesis - or a combination of both) and what it can do to you. It wears you down. It becomes your entire existence.

Please keep us posted, and best wishes to you as you work to regain your quality of life. You've taken the most important steps to make it happen, and as Ginger inferred "made a plan". Whether you feel brave or not, you took a very brave step.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

About Massage

Dear dealornodeal,

My physical therapist does "massage" three times a week. However, he is experienced with our kind of surgery and stays clear of the fusions.

The massage I blogged about was very GENTLE. I think it's important make certain that a body worker (massage, cranial sacral, spinal touch, reiki, etc.) clearly knows your situation. If you feel the practitioner getting into areas that might disrupt your fusions or he/she is going too deep for your comfort, be sure to express it.

I do believe we post-surgery folks can benefit with some therapeutic touch, even if it's a good foot massage . . . professionally called "Reflexology".

Glad you enjoyed the humor in the blogging!
          Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
          May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
          Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Pain.

Hello, Friends!

I haven't had a good weekend at all.

My pain has been intense, to the point at which, last night, I couldn't even get undressed for bed without my husband's help.

On Saturday night, I went to bed, having taken the maximum dose of my current prescribed medication, managed to get into a tolerable position and was reading, drinking my tea, when I developed an itch on my left foot.
            Without thinking, I tried to raise my leg so that I could scratch the itch......BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!
            The resulting pain, shot through my foot, leg, hip and back with such intensity that my breath was literally stopped for a moment.

This was around eleven p.m.

The pain continued without mercy throughout the night, till I eventually fell asleep out of sheer exhaustion around six-thirty a.m.

I was woken at eight by the simple act of trying to change position.

I'm now, on Monday, 8th September, in so MUCH pain, I'm crying as I type.

I feel that I'm in limbo.

I'm still waiting to be given an appointment for an MRI - without which, I can't be put onto the surgeon's waiting list.

I feel totally worn down and really don't know what to do with myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi C-B View Post
              I haven't had a good weekend at all.

My pain has been intense, to the point at which, last night, I couldn't even get undressed for bed without my husband's help.

On Saturday night, I went to bed, having taken the maximum dose of my current prescribed medication, managed to get into a tolerable position and was reading, drinking my tea, when I developed an itch on my left foot.
              Without thinking, I tried to raise my leg so that I could scratch the itch......BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!

The resulting pain, shot through my foot, leg, hip and back with such intensity that my breath was literally stopped for a moment.
              Maggie,

What are you currently taking? Have you asked your doctor if there's something more appropriate to handle the level of pain you're having?

And, yes ... for now, you're going to have to try to be very conscious of any movement that causes pain to flare up. I had to be VERY careful with my neck pre-op when I had cervical disc protrusions, and sometimes it is very difficult to fight instinctual movements .

Maybe something as simple as keeping a tote bag with you at all times (that contains aids like a long handled scratcher, a folding grabber, etc.) could help perform daily tasks, AND serve as a reminder for you (just by being there) to do things in a way that doesn't hurt you.

Just a thought. I know I had to get pretty creative when I recovered solo ... and sometimes little things - and little mind tricks you can play on yourself - can make a huge difference.

I hope you get some relief soon, hon. Hang in there!

Regards,
              Pam

(PS. Regarding, the folding grabber mention above ...

Those "Gopher" grabbers with the suction cups (like $10 at Walgreen's, CVS, etc.) are *awesome*. I don't know what I would have done with mine the first month or two after surgery. I still have all *kinds* of uses for mine.)
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

I had the itching in the toes that would not go away. It was from the nerves being pressed on. Try using a back scratcher so you don't have to bend or stretch. My itching went away when the pressure was taken off the nerves.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Pain.

Hi, txmarinemom!

Thanks for your repsonse to my post of yesterday and for the terrific advice.

Why did I never think of a long-handled scratcher.....? It's a brilliant idea!

Over the last eight months, since the pain became this bad and permanent, I've tried so many medications but, either they have no effect, cease to have an effect after a few weeks, or in the case of two of them, cause a seriously nasty adverse reaction.

Currently, I'm taking Co-codamol 30/500, but when the pain is at its worst - as it was yesterday - it doesn't even take the edge off.
                  My GP says that there really isn't anything else he can prescribe now.

There's good news, though.

Today, I received my MRI appointment in the post. It's on Friday, 26th September at 9a.m.

The not-so good news is that the info leaflet that accompanied the ;letter tells me that it will be a further four to six weeks before I receive an appointment for the final consultation with my surgeon, before being placed on her surgery list.

It's a light at the end of the tunnel, though, so I'm grateful.

Thanks again for your encouragement and advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X