Success with Spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success with Spinecor

Hi. I am a 20 year old figure skater who has been struggling with my scoliosis for several years. Two years ago doctors were really pushing for surgery to correct my 47.5 degree s curve. That would mean 12 metal rods and 24 metal screws. That would also mean the end of my skating career, which just thinking about brings tears to my eyes. See I am internationally and nationally ranked and I have a lot to look forward to with my skating. The surgeons however gave me "false" hope by saying that I could be back on the ice within 3-6 months in about the same form that I was. Now, any sane and intelligent person could tell that that was incorrect. My parents, seeing my distress went into to super parent mode and while I was barricaded in my room with the music playing really loud they happened to stumble upon SPINECOR. My dad email and called Dr. Gary Deutchman at like 10:30pm and that same night at about midnight they received a call from, one of the men who has changed my life. By the time I came out of my room the next morning my mom and I were booked on a redeye flight to Chicago for me to be fitted the back brace. I was not too happy about having to wear a back brace, but my parents said it was that or the surgery. At first I hated the brace because it was too tight, pulled my body in strange directions, bruised my back and made me even more self conscious of how I looked. After I made it through the introduction phase and built up my wearing time to 20 hours a day I began to see, feel and notice the difference. I quickly learned to hide it, so much so that most of my friends still do not know that I wear a brace and that I even forget I am wearing it. I have now been wearing it for two years and have seen dramatic results. I started with a curve of 47.5 and I am now down to 37.6. We are all amazed by my success. This was not supposed to be possible because of my age and the fact that I should have stopped growing, but x-rays can't lie. My back no longer hurts as much, my skating has gotten better, and I am now 5'10 1/2" with prospects of getting taller if my back continues to straighten out. It has not been all fun and games, but I would not change a thing because I can now go an entire day or more without my back hurting so much that all I want to do is sleep. I urge anyone who has been told that they need surgery or have to be put in the hard shell brace to check out SpineCor.

Originally posted by dsicequeen
    Two years ago doctors were really pushing for surgery to correct my 47.5 degree s curve. That would mean 12 metal rods and 24 metal screws. That would also mean the end of my skating career, which just thinking about brings tears to my eyes. See I am internationally and nationally ranked and I have a lot to look forward to with my skating. The surgeons however gave me "false" hope by saying that I could be back on the ice within 3-6 months in about the same form that I was. Now, any sane and intelligent person could tell that that was incorrect. ...
    Sorry, but this all sounds more than a little odd, and a LOT like an ad.

No responsible surgeon should be "pushing for surgery" on a 47.5° curve on a skeletally mature 18 year old. No responsible surgeon should ever push for surgery on an adult with a curve that size, period.

That is NOT an emergency situation. I waited until I was 39 to have surgery, and only then, due to pain.

In 30 years of having x-rays for JIS, I have never seen a curve measured in tenths of degrees. Curves aren't measured that way. When accepted margin of error is at least ±5°, I'm not buying anything that precise. It isn't possble, sweetheart.

Were you progressing? If so, how much per year? How many years after skeletal maturity had it been measured?

And surely you didn't mean to type *12* rods ... right?

Originally posted by dsicequeen
    I started with a curve of 47.5 and I am now down to 37.6. We are all amazed by my success. This was not supposed to be possible because of my age and the fact that I should have stopped growing, but x-rays can't lie.
    I bet you ARE all amazed. Mainly because it's not possible for a brace ... ANY brace ... to correct a curve after skeletal maturity.

X-rays CAN lie - especially in brace x-rays. What's does your curve measure after a 24-48 hour period out of brace?
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

It is possible to skate after scoliosis surgery. I personally know a young woman who had scoliosis surgery in her teen years and is roller skating and doing a very nice job of it. My Dr. has told me that I can go back to roller skating after my fusion is complete. As Pam says, "Fusion is not the end of the world".
      I don't know too many ice skaters or roller skaters who are 5'10 and 1/2" tall. Do you have a partner or do you skate solo freestyle?
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by dsicequeen View Post
        Hi. I am a 20 year old figure skater who has been struggling with my scoliosis for several years. Two years ago doctors were really pushing for surgery to correct my 47.5 degree s curve. That would mean 12 metal rods and 24 metal screws. That would also mean the end of my skating career, which just thinking about brings tears to my eyes. See I am internationally and nationally ranked and I have a lot to look forward to with my skating. The surgeons however gave me "false" hope by saying that I could be back on the ice within 3-6 months in about the same form that I was. Now, any sane and intelligent person could tell that that was incorrect. My parents, seeing my distress went into to super parent mode and while I was barricaded in my room with the music playing really loud they happened to stumble upon SPINECOR. My dad email and called Dr. Gary Deutchman at like 10:30pm and that same night at about midnight they received a call from, one of the men who has changed my life. By the time I came out of my room the next morning my mom and I were booked on a redeye flight to Chicago for me to be fitted the back brace. I was not too happy about having to wear a back brace, but my parents said it was that or the surgery. At first I hated the brace because it was too tight, pulled my body in strange directions, bruised my back and made me even more self conscious of how I looked. After I made it through the introduction phase and built up my wearing time to 20 hours a day I began to see, feel and notice the difference. I quickly learned to hide it, so much so that most of my friends still do not know that I wear a brace and that I even forget I am wearing it. I have now been wearing it for two years and have seen dramatic results. I started with a curve of 47.5 and I am now down to 37.6. We are all amazed by my success. This was not supposed to be possible because of my age and the fact that I should have stopped growing, but x-rays can't lie. My back no longer hurts as much, my skating has gotten better, and I am now 5'10 1/2" with prospects of getting taller if my back continues to straighten out. It has not been all fun and games, but I would not change a thing because I can now go an entire day or more without my back hurting so much that all I want to do is sleep. I urge anyone who has been told that they need surgery or have to be put in the hard shell brace to check out SpineCor.
        If you're a shill for Gary Deutchman, just go away. You're not the first. I agree with Pam, that your post sounds like an advertisement. There is no such thing as spine surgery with 12 rods, so that in and of itself sounds like you made up the story.

The Spinecor brace can help adults get out of pain, but it is not a remedy. Nothing is going to straighten the spine of a skeletally mature individual with a structural scoliosis curve, permanently (with the possible exception of surgery). As soon as you stop wearing your brace for a month, the curve(s) will return to their original shape.

Best of luck.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Spine Core Worked for Me!!!

First of all I take offense being called a shill for anybody. Perhaps you don't know everything about Scoliosis or Dr. Deutchman. As far as I know Dr. Deutchman is the most experienced Spinecore provider in the US. He doesn't fit Spincor as a side business. He does it full time and travels all over the US to do it. I personally have met dozens of patients and their families while waiting for my appointments. I have never met anyone that was unhappy with Dr.
          Deutchman or felt taken advantage of in anyway. As far as my measurements being to the tenth of a degree. Dr. Deutchman uses a digital protractor accurate to 1/10 of a degree. Most other doctors use a $5 plastic protractor that is very hard to read and probably has a 5 degree error. As far as adult spines. Bone deformity is only one component of posture or cobb angle measurement. The muscles, ligaments, and the brains have control over posture and are also components of posture. Like many people with or without scoliosis, slouch at the end of the day from muscle fatigue. If you measured there cobb angle it probably would be worse when tired. The spinecor brace and the exercises they gave me both for my curve and for my nervous system improved my muscle and
          other non bone systems to give me a 10 degree less curve over two years with my life improving from it. I invite you to contact me privately through the forum if you want to talk to me directly.

Danielle
          Last edited by dsicequeen; 09-06-2008, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I am living proof that the Spine Core brace can and does work. I am 20 and have been way more active than most people so my body is different than most peoples. This means that my body has matured slower because of all my activity. I take great offense at anyone who calls me a liar. The back surgeons did in fact suggest surgery and I denied them flat out. I would rather take being in a brace than having 24 metal screws and 12 metal rods placed in my back. I have talked to several people who had the surgery and have had no real results and in fact an increase in their degrees. So don't hound me for putting the word out that something new has come out, that can and has made a change in many people's lives. If you would like top contradict me please don't get nasty.

Danielle
            Last edited by dsicequeen; 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I am solo figure skater who in nationally and internationally ranked. I love skating and I do know one girl who had the back fusion surgery and is back skating, but she had to make some technical sacrifices for it. She can no longer do a real layback spin like she used to and doesn't enjoy falling because of the jarring action.

Danielle

Comment

Oh yeah.

THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISMENT!!!

I am real, the post is real, my results are real, and don't call me a liar!!!

Danielle

Comment

TxMarineMom,

Why are you so incredibly hostile? It's completley uncalled for and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. You need to dial it down a notch and stop insulting everyone that posts.

Thanks

Comment

As far as I know Dr. Deutchman is the most experienced Spinecore provider in the US. He doesn't fit Spincor as a side business.
                    Yes but how does he compare with all other orthopedic surgeons (if he is an orthopedic surgeon)? Isn't that the real issue? Telling us he is the best among a literal handful of folks doesn't inspire confidence with me.

As far as my measurements being to the tenth of a degree. Dr. Deutchman uses a digital protractor accurate to 1/10 of a degree. Most other doctors use a $5 plastic protractor that is very hard to read and probably has a 5 degree error.
                    Even if you could get a measurement on a film down to 0.1 degrees, it's still useless becasue if that person walked around and another film was taken five minutes later, it is almost impossible that the same angle down to the tenth of a degree would be measured.

So Dr. Deutchman is fooling himself AND his patients. If you ask me, I think he knows damn well the Cobb angle measurement is reported as a +/- 5 degrees for a reason and is not telling the patients this (assuming you are reporting it correctly... I don't want to label the guy as idiot based only on something you report because it might be wrong).

If you measured there cobb angle it probably would be worse when tired.
                    Yes exactly. Then why do you think a measurement to the tenth of a degree is meaningful?

The spinecor brace and the exercises they gave me both for my curve and for my nervous system improved my muscle and other non bone systems to give me a 10 degree less curve over two years with my life improving from it.
                    Does the correction hold after being out of the brace for a few days or will you need to wear the brace the rest of your life?
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by SeahawksFan1978 View Post
                      TxMarineMom,

Why are you so incredibly hostile? It's completley uncalled for and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. You need to dial it down a notch and stop insulting everyone that posts.

Thanks
                      Well I see post was deleted but you have to admit the phrase about the 12 rods was damn funny. Made me laugh out loud at least.

Credit where credit is due.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        Yes but how does he compare with all other orthopedic surgeons (if he is an orthopedic surgeon)? Isn't that the real issue? Telling us he is the best among a literal handful of folks doesn't inspire confidence with me.
                        I, too, would like to know if Deutchman is an orthopedic surgeon or a chiro. If memory serves, back when there was discussion about him and the "inner ear" testing, I believe it is the latter.

I could be wrong but if anyone can clarify what type of doctor he is I think we'd all like to know.
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                          I, too, would like to know if Deutchman is an orthopedic surgeon or a chiro. If memory serves, back when there was discussion about him and the "inner ear" testing, I believe it is the latter.

I could be wrong but if anyone can clarify what type of doctor he is I think we'd all like to know.
                          If Deutchman turns out to be a chiro and not a legit doctor at this point, I'm going to feel dirty and used by responding to the posts...

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Get your soap ready, just in case then

OK, I just looked him up - I believe his first name is Gary - there is a Gary Deutchman whose name comes up as a prescriber of Spinecor and he's a CHIRO.
                            Last edited by mariaf; 09-07-2008, 10:04 AM.
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                              Get your soap ready, just in case then

OK, I just looked him up - I believe his first name is Gary - there is a Gary Deutchman whose name comes up as a prescriber of Spinecor and he's a CHIRO.
                              Oh noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Off to the showers...

I guess I should have surmised it from the testimonial about the tenths of a degree and the 12 rods. But again, patients mangle what medical folks tell them and I try not to indict the medical person just on what the patient writes.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X