Just To Introduce Myself. <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just To Introduce Myself. <3

Hii. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm the 'new kid' on the forum for the time, I guess. I'm Eleanor, I'm fifteen and I live in England.
    I was diagnosed with Scoliosis about 7 months ago now. My friend noticed my hip was much larger than the other, and after ignoring it for about a month, she finally persuaded me to go to the doctors!
    When I went, as soon as I showed my doctor, he diagnosed me and booked a hospital X-Ray appointment. He didn't suggest anything I can do to improve it, and ridiculed most methods, such as exercise and a brace.
    About a month later, I had the X-Rays and a consultation. My doctor didn't tell me what degree my Scoliosis is, although I do know it is only quite mild.
    On the 2nd of October, I have another hospital appointment, for another X-Ray. If the degree of my curve has gotten higher, they will suggest for me to have an operation. It's a little nerve-wracking, but I could be in a worse position.

Thank you for reading,
    Eleanor. xo

Hi Eleanor!! Nice to meet you, welcome to the forums! I'm Nicole. =]

That's good that you did go to the doctor pretty soon after noticing that something wasn't quite "right" with your body. I noticed that my body was kind of uneven for a pretty long time but never said anything. Like, right now I'm going into my senior year of high school and I noticed very slight signs sometime in my freshman year. Sometimes I think about this and wish that I said something sooner, and I don't know why I really didn't, but honestly what's done is done. So anyway, lol, sorry for going off on a tangent there.

It's really great to know that your scoli is only mild. Because of your age, you're probably almost done growing so hopefully it will stay that way. I would say the odds are with you right now (as my doctor likes to say, though he kind of said the opposite for me lol), but you never know. But please try not to worry yourself too much about the possibility of needing surgery. Right now, like you said, you're in a pretty decent situation and there's no point in getting yourself nervous for something that may never happen. But I will say, though, that if for some reason you do end up needing the surgery you'll be okay. Even though it was a really tough and painful situation, it wasn't unbearable and totally worth it in the end.I had my surgery back in March and I'm doing really great (all the info is in my siggy). But anyway, like I said, I'm not going to get ahead of myself here.

So anyway, I tend to ramble a bit lol and I apologize, but welcome to the site! And welcome to SpineKids too because I think I saw you joined there? Don't know if you posted at all haha, but I'm on there too (dAnCeR176).
    =]
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Sometimes doctor's talk more to parents than the kids as not to worry them, but you're old enough to hear it. If your doctor doesn't explain things more to you, think about trying to get a second opinion. Some doctors don't have "good bedside manners". Our doctor has always made us feel comfortable, he explains what we need to know without being too medical sounding. On a rare occasiion we have had to deal with a med. student who thinks we all know the medical lingo and doesn't really seem to care as much about the person.
      Good Luck,
      Emily

Comment

Working...
      X