Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• improve your abs/posture

just an unimportant aesthetic question.

we all know that classic abs exercises are more often than not a no-no for us with scoliosis, is there a product on the market you've used to improve your abs which you have objectively found worthwhile? thanks

Why would they be a no-no, unless you've had fusion? I haen't had my surgery yet and I have done regular abs exercises (off and on) for years.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Stuff like situps are a no no, but you can use your legs to strengthen abs. So ab exercises can be done, they are just done in different ways.

Brad
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Brad is correct. I am just fininshing up my PT and have been given many abdominal isometric exercises to do to strengthen my abs., along with exercises using my legs to strengthen my legs and abs. Hand weights, strap on leg weights, elastic bands and an exercise ball are all you need, but I would recommend you see a Physical Therapist so you build up slowly without hurting yourself. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

only shoulders

I think the trick to abs is to just lift your shoulders off the floor. Keep your stomach on the ground, so you don't involve your psoas mm and aggravate your lordosis (which I have)

Comment

Working...
          X