No announcement yet.

best mattresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. Have you decided on a mattress yet? I'm in a similar situation. I had a Tempur on a trial basis and sent it back coz I didn't like it. Yes, it was supportive but I found it cold. As I needed additional help getting in and out of bed, I settled on a profiling bed designed for home use and an orthopedic profiling mattress. It has a reasonable appearance for home use and can be adjusted into nearly any position electrically. It's comfortable, supportive and has the hospital style 'monkey bar' which I can grab to adjust/support myself.
    The price was very competitive with the T range.

Comment

Question about sleeping...

Is there a certain way to sleep ... a certain position to lie in? If my curve goes to the right, should I lie on my left, which would be the opposite way of my curve? Has anybody read or heard anything about that?

Thanks!
      Laura
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I've been a little skeptical about those foam mattresses. Whenever, we go to a furniture store and try one out, i just can't imagine sleeping on it all night. hard mattresses never felt good for me to begin with, made my back really sore. however, after reading what some of you have to say, i may have to reevaluate my decision

Comment

Does anyone else have problems with the foam topper slipping around on the bed? Every night I have to straighten it up so it matches the mattress. I do have a undersheet thingy under the foam topper, and also my sheet holding the two together, but it still slips around. Am I doing something wrong?

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Brad, I have a foam topper but I have it directly on top of the mattress. Mine doesn't move. Maybe you could remove the sheet below it to see if it makes a difference.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              Brad, I have a foam topper but I have it directly on top of the mattress. Mine doesn't move. Maybe you could remove the sheet below it to see if it makes a difference.
              Ok. I will try that. Thank you.

Brad
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

My husband and I bought a Tempurpedic mattress about a year ago, and I'm extremely happy with it! Hubby says any mattress is fine with him, but "hard" mattresses cause me pain on pressure points on my sides around my hip joints, so when I try to sleep on my side, I can't stand the pain after an hour or so and have to turn on my back. The Tempurpedic has completely eliminated that problem for me.

I've heard some people say they've found that the Tempur's hold heat. The newer models have different construction that's supposed to eliminate that. We live in Georgia and found ours to be just fine this past summer.

I think someone in this thread mentioned their Tempur being a bit hard. Each of the models is a little different in feel. I made sure we got the softest that they make, which was the "Rhapsody".

The company does not recommend using an electric blanket because they say it might make it feel too soft. Well, we used one all last winter (it gets cold in north Georgia,too!), and there was no problem at all.

The only problem is that Tempurs are never on sale, and all dealers are required to charge the same price; however, they can offer you other things. Every dealer should give you free Tempur pillows and a 60-day free trial, which is the same as offered on the web-site directly from the factory...usually free shipping too. But if you shop around, in this economy, I suspect there are more deals to be had. For instance, a friend of mine, while shopping at a local furniture store, was offered the mattress, 2 pillows ($99 each), special mattress pad ($100), delivery, plus a curio cabinet she had been wanting, all for the mattress price!

Peachy

Comment

I love my tempurpedic. I think I gained back a half inch because I had been so tensed up and uncomfortable with my previous mattress. I bought a special Tempurpedic made exclusively for "Relax the Back" stores that was supposed to be therapeutic for people with back problems. And it is! But I can't remember the name of the mattress. I tested it many times at the store before I bought. And every time I laid down on it, it felt wonderful, like it was stretching my back back out. It took me a few years to finally decide to buy one because of the expense. One way I saved though was that I didn't need anything but the mattress. My bed frame is solid wood and that is all the support the tempurpedic needs. I sleep better now, don't toss and turn as much and it reduced the aches and pressure points. Heat and cold have not been a problem. I keep my winter temp at 62 degrees and the bed warms up and softens up as soon as get in it. I almost never put the air on in the summer when it can get up into the 90's and excessive heat is not a problem either. Chemical smell was another concern, but not a problem. It is a little harder to get in and out of bed, so you need to be up to that, but if you're in decent shape, it's no problem. I'm a convert.

Comment

I have a Select Comfort bed and it's been wonderful. I've never had a tempurpedic mattress or really a very good mattress before, so I can't compare. I used to sleep on a water bed for 10 years because my husband swore by it and I woke up so sore, I just thought 'too bad for me'. Then I fell asleep on my son's bed one night (of course I bought him a good mattress) and felt much better the next day. The water bed go taken down. It was like night and day how much better I felt after I got the select comfort bed.

I got a laugh out of the lengths some of us have to go through to get comfortable at night. I put the pillow under my knees too when on my back, I pull my left leg in and stretch my right let out when on my left side, and get a little support under my top curve when on my right side.

Good luck bed shopping!
                    Deb
                    Debra
                    Age 45
                    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                    Fused T4-T12
                    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
                    X