best mattresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best mattresses

Hi, I'll have to change my mattress in a while, I've read some threads and some talk about Tempurmedic but there're many types of mattresses on their websites and haven't a clue on what's best. If you don't want to name particular brands, in your view, which characteristics should a good mattress have for people with scoliosis? (personally I've got a 30 degree double curve).

Thanks

Well I just have a regular matress, but with a tempurpedic topper, which works great. One day I hope to have a full memory foam matress. One thing I am finding though is that the topper makes the bed warmer, and in 110 degree heat isn't the best. lol

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Hi Brad, are you saying that foam mattresses are the way to go? As a kid I was always told that hard mattresses were the best solution, I see now that there are so many different types of systems that I'm clueless (e.g. http://www.tempurpedic.com/sleep_systems). I recently bought a lattice pillow which I'm not entirely happy with, but I can change it when I want, wouldn't want to make a similar mistake with the mattress...

Comment

I have this one:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/sleep_sys...edic/overview/

I live in Phoenix where summer temps are often 110+ and the heat isn't an issue.

the mattress is nice and firm. i sleep great on it. it is nice on my back, but a little hard on my shoulders when i sleep on my side. my shoulders give me trouble though. I have had it for five years.

Comment

I have heard this about tempurpedics and other memory foam: if you have a house where the temperature in your bedroom fluctuates dramatically (such as ours in the winter; we heat with wood), it can take quite a while for the mattress to become "flexible" enough to mold to your body, since it (the mattress) is sensitive to heat. In cold weather, they can actually be too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
            Hi Brad, are you saying that foam mattresses are the way to go? As a kid I was always told that hard mattresses were the best solution, I see now that there are so many different types of systems that I'm clueless (e.g. http://www.tempurpedic.com/sleep_systems). I recently bought a lattice pillow which I'm not entirely happy with, but I can change it when I want, wouldn't want to make a similar mistake with the mattress...
            Nothing wrong with just a topper either. Toppers are really cheap to buy in comparison to a full tempurpedic mattress.

A hard mattress is just that, hard, and normal mattresses do not conform to your body. We have odd shaped backs, and a regular mattress just does not cut it. On this forum a lot of people have a memory topper or mattress because they really do help out. Costco or Overstock.com is a good place to look for them.

Brad
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Postop xray

Comment

Tempur-pedic

I have been curious about these Tempurpedic mattresses, too. I read somewhere that there are some hotels that have Tempurpedic mattresses in some of their rooms. On my to-do list: Spend a couple nights on a vacation in a hotel that has these mattresses to test and see if I'd like one of my own. I am always so nervous when I buy a mattress, because in many cases it's impossible to return them if you don't like the one you've chosen.

dsal

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom View Post
                In cold weather, they can actually be too hard.
                lol, i mentioned using mine in Arizona. I actually purchased the mattress in Alaska. I never found cold or hot to be an issue with the mattress.

I had it 3 years up there and 2 years down here.

one extreme to another

Comment

Originally posted by dsal View Post
                  I have been curious about these Tempurpedic mattresses, too. I am always so nervous when I buy a mattress, because in many cases it's impossible to return them if you don't like the one you've chosen. dsal
                  Hiya - not sure if it will be the same where you are, but here in the UK Tempur (http://www.tempur.co.uk/tempurUK/) do a 60 day free trial of their mattresses. You pay the carriage, but can return it if it isn't what you want at the end of the trial period. Might be worth seeing if there is something like that where you are?

I am looking at getting a new mattress or a topper as well to try and help with the pain, but the mattresses are very expensive!

Good luck!

Comment

I must be weird (ok, ok... ) but I really sleep well on a plain, firm good quality mattress, with a pillow under my knees. I don't think I would like one of those foam toppers or temperpedics, but who knows. Just adding my two cents' worth.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                      I must be weird (ok, ok... ) but I really sleep well on a plain, firm good quality mattress, with a pillow under my knees. I don't think I would like one of those foam toppers or temperpedics, but who knows. Just adding my two cents' worth.

Yes, I can confirm your weirdness! (but in a good, wholesome way)

I tried that pillow under the knees, and I just can't do it. If I lay on my back I have a pillow on each side with my arms resting on them, and no pillow under my head. If I go onto a side I have one pillow between my knees, a pillow behind me resting firmly up against my back and a pillow under my head.

Brad
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by aktech23 View Post
                        one extreme to another
                        Just as a side note, my wife says I am trying to kill her because I am taking her back to my home town, (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) in Jan or Feb. My wife is a born and bred Californian girl.

Basically we will be going from +30-40F weather to -30-40F weather. I can't wait.

*insert evil laugh here*

Brad
                        2 Harrington rods
                        Luque method used
                        Dr David Bradford
                        Postop xray

Comment

I've requested a Tempur brochure, I'll let you know if I go for one of these, and which one. I'd really love to personally go to a dealer and try them on though as they don't actually come cheap...

Comment

We invested in a memory foam matress 4 years ago.I still wake with a stiff back but it is incredibly comfortable.
                            I could NEVER go back to a normal matress, I realise this when we go on holiday and I just cant get comfy without that wonderful moulding feeling.
                            I am considering buying a memory foam matress topper for future holidays as I dread sleeping on a normal matress.
                            Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

There are some MUCH more affordable options for a memory foam mattress. I just got a new Novaform mattress from Costco. A lot of reviews rate it very similar to Tempurpedic, at a fraction of the cost. I too would love a Tempurpedic because they were the first on the scene, but their prices are just out of control in my opinion. Check out the very reasonable, more affordable options like Novaform.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X