Would my child inherit my scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would my child inherit my scoliosis?

As scoliosis can be hereditary, and in my case I believe it is, what are the chances of my child inheriting it from me? This is a burden on me and I would really appreciate some answers.

The only thing you can do is keep an eye out for it and have a doctor check out her spine regularly.
    I wish I had caughten mine sooner...mine wasn't noticed until I was 15...and therefore, too old to wear a brace because it would have been useless.
    17 years old - Female - Canada
    Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
    Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

We know it is hereditary, but I don't think it is known exactly who will get it or to what degree. It was noticed in my great-grandmother's imediate family, skipped two generations, I got it, and then passed it right on two my two. I don't think of it as something that would have made me not consider having kids.
      Emily

Comment

Yeah it's definitly been proven to be hereditary...but its really like random..if that makes sense.
        My dad's cousin has scoliosis and so does my 2nd cousin. haha see, pretty random pattern there!
        17 years old - Female - Canada
        Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
        Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Thanks for replying

Thanks to those who replied to my post. I wore a brace for two years before having a spinal fusion in 1995 at the age of 12. It seems to run on one side of my family, in small touches, but I definitely got the brunt of it! I just worry about passing it on.

Comment

My grandmother had it, it skipped my mother's generation, and I have a severe case. My sister has a slight case. Unfortunately, I passed on to all 3 of my kids But my daughter's Dr. told me that the likelyhood of my kids having as severe a case as me is very small. My boys are out of the woods and only needed to be watched, but the jury is still out on my daughter as she is only 9.

For myself, I wish I had known that 1) it is hereditary, and 2) that pregnancies, 3 of them in my case, probably helped my curves progress. Maybe I would have had fewer kids if I had known, who knows.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I read somewhere that if you have scoliosis you have a 1 in 5 chance of passing it onto your child.
              Sarah
              Australian
              15 years old
              Spine Fused - 06/04/10
              Was: 55 degrees
              Now: About 0 degrees

Comment

I was also told growing up it was hereditary. But I am happy to say I have 3 daughters 22, 21 and 16 and they do not have any sign of scoliosis.
                Patty 51 years old
                Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                Posterior T3- L4
                Pre surgery curves
                T-53degrees
                L-38degrees
                and a severe side shift to the right.
                Post surgery curves
                Less than 10 degrees
                Surgery April, 2006
                C4 - C6

Comment

I found I had Scoliosis at age 5. They told me that they thought mind wasn't hereditary but now as an adult I found out my older sister suffered as a teen with a mild case and my mom's 1st cousin had it.

I have two children and it does concern me the more I have found out over the years. But I would still of had children even if I knew they would have Scoliosis.

In fact I am taking them both on the 2nd of October to the Dr. to be checked out. I hope that with today's technology and options that we could catch it soon enough and do other treatments.

I never wore a brace they tried electrodes on my back. I also went to the chiropractor but I have heard that makes things worse for Scoliosis patients??
                  Adrienne
                  1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
                  1993 Rod Removal
                  1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
                  2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
                  Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
                  Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Originally posted by Hannah View Post
                    As scoliosis can be hereditary, and in my case I believe it is, what are the chances of my child inheriting it from me? This is a burden on me and I would really appreciate some answers.

When I had my children I never gave it a second thought that they may inherit my scoliosis.I dont know of anyone in my family that I inherited mine from.
                    Now my 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed-I had started taking notice of her back last year and noticed some changes so im just pleased that its been caught early as its only mild.My 16 year old son is fine.
                    All I can say is keep checking your childrens backs, I noticed my daughters more during the summer-when she had little summer tops on so I didnt have to make a big deal of it and scare her.
                    Best wishes
                    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I did

I have congenital with an S curve. I'm sorry I don't know the degree. My daughter has idiopathic with a 17 degree curve and watching. My grandmother had it also but not my mother or sister.

Comment

Relatives...

We thought my daughter was the ONLY one in our family. Found out that 2 cousins (same family side) have it, one recently was fused at age 20.
                        He grew late and just grew crooked very fast. The other cousin has not been treated and chooses to just complain about it from a pain perspective. It is so entirely unpredictable. My older daughter is completly straight.
                        Haley's Mom
                        Diagnosed June 2007, Age 11 - NO BASELINE (TOLD TO WAIT)
                        Jan 2008 Age 12 - T24 (TOLD TO WAIT UGHH!)
                        Apr 2008 Age 12.5 - T30 Riser 4
                        Apr 2008 SpineCor in brace T19
                        May 2008 in brace T24
                        Oct 2008 Age 13 - T23! Still Riser 4
                        Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

Ive recently found out that an uncle of mine has scoliosis and has had operations.We arent in contact but I may try and get in touch as it would be interesting to know what he has been through with his scoliosis.
                          Ive now got an appointment for my daughter to see a spinal surgeon so im glad I caught hers early.
                          Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Originally posted by Haleysmom View Post
                            We thought my daughter was the ONLY one in our family. Found out that 2 cousins (same family side) have it, one recently was fused at age 20.
                            He grew late and just grew crooked very fast. The other cousin has not been treated and chooses to just complain about it from a pain perspective. It is so entirely unpredictable. My older daughter is completly straight.
                            Haley has a truly amazing mom!!! She is very lucky to have such a strong advocate for her future. Your children may not know it now, but you will have been one of the single biggest influences as far as their health and wellbeing is concerned. They WILL thank you. (Probably when they have kids of their own and know just how often you went to bat for them). I am 55 years old with a pronounced S curve. I was never officially diagnosed as a child, although I remember having difficulty with things like forward tumble rolls in gym class. When I was growing up, there was little awareness of scoliosis, so my parents were not involved in managing my condition. However, I have lead a relatively normal life WITH my scoliosis. I often went camping and boating with my family in the mountains, I rode horses for more than 30 years, lifted bales of hay and worked around the ranch, (lots of bending and lifting, and it didn't make my condition worse.) I had fun with my friends, and never thought that life was unfair, even though I was different. There was no stopping me then, and there is no stopping me now. I can still run circles around my staff. In fact, they often tell me that they wish I would slow down. You, and all the other mothers I have read about in this forum are an inspiration to me! Keep it up! Your kids are so blessed!

Comment

My 13 yo son was fused 5 months ago. Until we discovered his scoli at age 11, the only other person in the family with scoli was my cousin on my mother's side, who had fusion surgery (no instrumentation) in the late 60s and was in a body cast for a year afterward. I never imagined my child would develop it.

After Sidney's diagnosis, we could see that my husband has a mild curve (never diagnosed), and his father told us he has a similar curve. About 6 months before Sidney's surgery, my aunt (on my father's side) told me that both she and her sister had curved spines, and that one of my second cousins on that side had surgery with rods. I also found out that a deceased aunt on my mother's side who had lifelong back pain and fusion with rods in her 60s had scoliosis (I knew about the surgeries, but not the type or the cause). I have 6 siblings. It's amazing none of us had it. Sidney has 21 first cousins, and so far none of them that I know of have developed it.

I think I read somewhere that scoli is hereditary, but it just hangs around in the gene pool and is not necessarily passed along in a linear manner.

Comment

Working...
                              X