Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debbei View Post
    Cheryl,

This is a wonderful list. Thank you so much. I made a few notes for myself to look for--the shampoo camps, flosser, knee length robe & slippers.

I was surprised to read about the insulin shots. Does everyone get these?

Beats me. No one seemed surprised or alarmed and, as predicted, the high readings went away as soon as I got off that milky looking "food substitute" that I got intraveneously.
    Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
    Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
    by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

I didn't have to get insulin shots. I did have my blood sugar tested about 4 times a day after I passed out. It was always normal so I don't know why they kept doing it.

Cheryl- This is an excellent comprehensive list. Thanks for taking the time to write it. It will be extremely helpful to others.

Debbei- I have 5 extra shampoo caps if you would like them. PM me if you're interested.

Shell
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        I don't know if it is an adult vice kid thing or if it is a surgeon protocol as to when to start eating again thing but I can say my daughter's surgeon was ADAMANT about not eating/drinking ANYTHING, even ice chips, until her bowels were awake. To my recollection, this was on day three. Despite the fact that my daughter was very thirsty, I could only wet her lips and mouth with a water-soaked small sponge. She could not have even ice chips until day three when bowel sounds were heard.

The result was no bloating whatsoever. Nor did she lose any noticeable weight as predicted in so many online sources.
        In my case (posterior only), I had no body bloating at all. My face was swollen the evening after surgery (so my friends told me later), but it was completely gone by the next day.

I was supposed to be on a liquid diet until the day after surgery, but was STARVING when I woke up in my room (I only spent an hour or so in recovery).

After 3 or 4 packs of broth, 2 cups of coffee (my head was about to explode from withdrawals), and a LOT of whining, the nurses tossed me 4 packs of crackers and Velveeta spread and ran.

To my recollection, they didn't even come back to check my vitals until I konked out again.

I also didn't lose any weight, never had any nausea, and came home with a normal appetite (thankful I'd spent all that time cooking/freezing ahead for a solo recovery).

You just never know ... until you do.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I barely got into the whole iPod world, just before surgery. A friend downloaded a bunch of movies and my daughter added all of my favorite music. It was a great resource during recovery.

I told my kids to put the earphones on me and play this collection of soothing harp music after I got out of ICU. It was just perfect.

By the second week, I could watch the movies. Shrek 1,2 and 3 were my favorites, because the plots were easy to follow and I needed to laugh.

Anyhow, the iPod came in handy during my recovery. Not necessary, more of a luxury.
          Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
          May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
          Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
          X