Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddd & scoliosis & other back issues

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if any of the older folks in particular have other back issues besides the scoliosis. I have degenerative disk disease and problems with l5-s1 in addition to scoliosis. I had a 3 level fusion to fix leg pain, which it did and at the time I thought it was to help my scoli but it didn't I was just curious to see if most people just have the scoli problem. i think about these things instead of doing the work i should be doing.
    thanks,
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Avis-- I had/have ddd, severe lumbar stenosis, arthritis, etc. besides my scoli.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm only 23 and wasn't told I have ddd per say but that my L5/S1 Discs are degenerative and way more so than they should be at my age.

I have not had surgery to correct my back though as it is now "only" up to 27ish degrees.

Comment

Hi Avis,
        I was diagnosed with DDD and scoliosis of the lumbar spine 4 years ago. Which came first, the DDD or the scoliosis, or whether they are even related to one another, I don't have a clue. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

in my case, i think the ddd made the scoli worse than it needed to be. i was told i had scoli when i was around 40. i went to a doctor for back pain and she said do you know you have scoliosis. i didn't even know what it was so i asked her. what was strange was that i had a laminectomy(sp) a couple of years before and not a peep was mentioned about scoliosis. either it wasn't there or it wasn't bad or i don't no what.
          avis
          1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
          2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
          2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
          Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
          X