Being able to do matial arts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being able to do matial arts!

Its been over a year and was told that i could do whatever i want by the doctor. Was just wondering if there's been anyone who's done any kind of Martial Arts wheather its a good idea for me to start going back to karate again (or anyone else who wants to add in anything.)
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Good idea or not ...

I did American Karate (A.S.K. - pretty similar to TKD) for 7 years, and plan on going back to either MMA or kickboxing in the next 6 months or so.

Personally, I love the sparring (and full contact). It also puts you in the best shape (and ultimate flexibility!) of *anything* I've done .

There are lower contact forms of MA (aikido, for example) and higher forms (and even then, you can probably arrange to substitute katas for fights to belt advance). I wouldn't rule it out completely: Ask your doctor.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Thats what my doctor said to me when i had my appointment. I actually started doing karate before i had the surgery but i had conflicting answers when I asked a few people wheather going back to karate was good or not
      2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Originally posted by Cina2005 View Post
        Thats what my doctor said to me when i had my appointment. I actually started doing karate before i had the surgery but i had conflicting answers when I asked a few people wheather going back to karate was good or not
        Cina,

It's a lot like pregnancy in that you don't *start* a new sport during pregnancy. If you did it before, it's a different story.

You know your body - and whether you should try/stick with an activity you enjoyed before. If your doctor okays it, great.

Conflicting opinions from other patients/parents mean very little to me in that they may not have anywhere near my outlook or competitive nature. Many people would have been shocked by the thought of blocking (and sometimes taking) a kick to the face or gut *pre-op* ... so of course they're going to say "That's a bad idea!".

I went into this surgery hoping is would drive the pain away, but absolutely REFUSING to let it take my life away. I've played through pain for 30 years: This, at worst, was just going to be a different kind of pain. It depends on how much you love your sport .

Best regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
        X