What To Expect AFter Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lisa,

Just to give you a different perspective - I was SO grateful that my Mum (& sometimes my Dad) were able to stay with me at the hospital through my original fusion (1999, age 12 yrs) & revision (2001), and will do so again during my upcoming revision. The nurses and doctors are (usually) fabulous, but they're BUSY. Besides being a great comfort to have family with me, it also meant that I didn't have to wait for a nurse to come to have sips of water, help me cut up food, brush my hair, shift my pillow, find a nurse in a hurry when I was nauseated/vomiting/had pain levels going through the roof, etc. etc..

During the first couple of days after surgery, your daughter will be in & out of consciousness & very doped up on pain meds....but she will still know you're there, and being there will still make a difference to her. I don't want to scare you, but try to be prepared for your daughter's reaction as she wakes up a bit more. Post-op pain from fusion is, to be perfectly honest, quite brutal, especially over the first few days. Helping her keep some semblance of control over her pain will be very important. This may mean anything from ensuring she receives her pain meds on time, to helping her roll or move in her bed, to diverting her attention a little from the pain (e.g., talking to her about things she's looking forward to after getting out, how any pets at home are doing, what you saw on the news - anything...it's great "mother-daughter time", too). The pain will get better each day, and eventually, the rewards for having it done (reduced chronic pain, increased lung capacity, & easier mobility for me) will really start to outweigh how hard the surgery was.

As for your daughter's hospital say, I can only give you my experience from over here in Australia. Both spinal surgeries (from hazy memory) had me in hospital for about 7 or 8 days, then off school for about a month more. One thing to remember with a major surgery like this is the sheer exhaustion that often persists long after the pain levels go down. With your work schedule perhaps it wouldn't be possible, but when I returned to school each time, I started with half days for the first week or 2 because it was Exhausting.

How long you should stay home with your daughter really depends a lot on how fast/well her recovery progresses, but it sounds like you have some pretty good estimates I'd second the suggestion to make sure she's not too hazy with drugs or trying to manage drug administration/timing. Also, it might help her while your gone if she has some basic useful tools like a "grabber" (you know those pincer-like things on the extended arm??), & easy access to anything she might need (e.g., if she might need a cup from a high shelf/cupboard, leave it out for her).

Please make sure you take care of yourself during this time, too - physically and emotionally. Make sure you eat properly (I always feel guilty if my Mum misses lunch or whatever because she's sitting with me). Do you have any family or friends close by who could help you with your daughter's care now & again? Or even just someone you can talk to about things?

Keep posting & let us know how you're doing as well as how your daughter is. Sorry to have rambled so much!

Take care.
    Last edited by discombobulated; 09-14-2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Hi Dis

Thanks for your message. It was very helpful and has given me lots to consider. I am in Australia too, although i live on the west coast - in Perth. You didn't say how old you are, do you mind me asking? I think about my daughter's surgery every day and am concerned about how it will go. In a way, i am counting down the days so this will all be over.

Anyway, thanks for your response and no, you weren't rambling the more people write the better i think.

Take care,

Lisa
      Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Sorry I only just found your message! Nice to meet another Aussie onboard

I'm 22 - had my original fusion (T4-L3??) when I was 12 (nearly 13) & my extension of the rods from L3 to anchor in my pelvis when I was 14. I have a revision coming up (Dec. 11) to redo the latter ones.

I just want to mention - you'll read a LOT of "horror stories" on the boards, but please be assured that most fusions are really successful. I guess it's just that people whose surgery went great don't have a reason to come looking for support!

The agony of waiting / counting-down to surgery is definitely not to be underestimated! Emotionally, I think it's often harder from the "waiting" side of things than the "recovering" side, especially for family! But...once it's all over, I haven't regreted either of my surgeries.

If you don't mind me asking, how is your daughter handling all this? Either of you, please feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk.

Take care of yourself.

Comment

Hi Dis,

I'm sorry but I have neglected to read my posts for some time - just been busy with life i guess. Tahlia is 14 and isn't too fussed at the moment, she's good and doesn't really think too much about the surgery. It's just me that's worried, but I guess I'm a typical mum like the rest here. We have just received her pre-op clinic appts, including the pre-anaesthetic appointment, plus she has a lung function test coming up soon too. It's all getting so much closer now and the emotions are going wild at the moment, but I'll be okay.

As for work, I have spoken with my boss and she is very understanding and flexible as far as my work arrangemnts are concerned, but I still am not sure exactly how much leave I can officially take. But thanks to all your advice and guidance, I am going to apply for about 3 weeks and if I need more, then I can take it.

So I really want to say THANK YOU to everyone, your advice has been invaluable and I am incredibly grateful. I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't found this website and everyone who has offered support and information.

Thanks all,

Lisa
          Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Here is how my parents helped me post op:

- made me meals/snacks
            (i didnt even open my own fridge or cupboards for like 10 days)
            - got me things from my bedroom when i was downstairs or vise versa
            - got me videos/dvds and set them up for me
            (my dvd player was really low)
            - and when i was going out and about, my dad drove me alot to random stores so i could leave my house, but still be able to sit down in a car and come home from the mall or where ever we were whenever i wanted
            - carried stuff for me

but yeah, the most important one was that my mom suppled me with ALL my meals!!!

oh and make sure you have straws lol.
            because i ate lying down on my side on my couch alot and drinking something is hard from that angle!
            17 years old - Female - Canada
            Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
            Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Working...
            X