7 weeks post op and doing great! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 weeks post op and doing great! :)

So I joined this forum a while ago, but I just really started reading posts today.
    I noticed that there are a number of parents or teenagers that are nervous about upcoming surgery.
    I'm 17 and had my surgery just under 7 weeks ago, on June 26th.
    My curve was pretty severe...I dont remember the exact curves, but they were about 60 and 70 degrees.
    I was SO nervous...and was already stressed out enough in May/June because I was working HARD in my final year of highschool.

Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone who is nervous know that the surgery is TOTALLY worth it.
    I have great posture, dont lean to one side, even shoulders/hips, and my right shoulder blade only sticks out a bit more than my left one now.
    Without sounding all cocky/confident, I just feel like I LOOK a million times better.
    I'm no longer unconfortable thinking that people can notice my even back in tshirts, etc.
    And everyone says I look great.

It's only 7 weeks after, and I feel totally fine.
    I go out with friends, go shopping, take public transportation alone, I even did a little summer partying

I'm moving away to school in the fall, and I just feel like having this surgery has taken a HUGE weight off my shoulders.

So I could say a million things about my experience/recovery, but that'll take forever haha.

If anyone wanted to know specific things about my experience, feel free to ask me....I'm a great person to ask since I had it so recently!
    17 years old - Female - Canada
    Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
    Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Hey I'm really glad you are doing well in your recovery and that you are posting and answering some of the questions folks have.

My daughter had fusion surgery in March but she doesn't post. I post what I saw her going through but it will never be the same as if she was posting.

Best regards
    sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

That's just wonderful, I am so glad you are doing so well. It amazes me that in only 7 weeks you are feeling so good. You do have youth on your side though.

If you ever feel like posting those million things about your experience & recovery, I'd love to read them.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Haha I've posted a bit about my experience...but there's just SO much to say about it lol.
        I really wish I came to this forum before my surgery, and I probably wouldn't have been so nervous!
        17 years old - Female - Canada
        Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
        Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Hey tillgirl,

I had my surgery four days after you! I am 20 years old and also am starting to feel really good. I can go out on my own and do things and I don't hurt like I did the first 3-4 weeks after surgery (given I'm still not bending or lifting anything heavy, but I know that will get better with time).

Good luck moving into college! You'll love it. I don't know how big of a school you are going to but be careful when there are a lot of people around or riding the bus standing up, it's probably better to just ask to sit so no one falls on you. I just moved back to school today actually, and am nervous to be back but really happy at the same time that I know I feel better. Let us know how things go,

Abbie
          aBbiE
          22 yr old F,KU college student
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
          Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
          I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
          Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

Working...
          X