No announcement yet.

Hi ho! Hi ho! It's back to work I go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi ho! Hi ho! It's back to work I go...

Hi everyone! Can't believe how quickly the time has zoomed by, but tomorrow is when I start back to work. I am very anxious about it, but think it will probably be ok. Time will tell! It's going to be such a change, working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, after having more than a year off. I am a lot stronger now, but my stamina/endurance still isn't where it should be. And I still get aches and pains at times.

One of my fears is that everyone will expect me to be able to do all the things I've done in the past, and resent it (or not understand why I returned) if I don't-- but I have limitations and restrictions. For those of you who don't know, I'm the media coordinator (essentially the librarian) at an elementary school, so I'm responsible for all the day to day stuff... planning and preparing for K-5th grade classes. I have 4 classes/day for 45 minutes each, plus open times for other students to come and "switch" books, bulletin boards to do, papers to run off, book fairs to plan and run, 300-400 books circulated/day that need to be re-shelved (about 14,000 books in the library), teachers that need help, etc. I do get some help, but from high school students and some are good and some are lazy, so you never know how it will be. I also have lunch and recess duties. I do have a 30 minute lunch, but am afraid that will be my only down time. I think I can do it, but it will really be stretching me physically. I thought of some helps--I have two reachers at school-- and also a garden kneeler so I can get down to lower shelves. Any suggestions for anything else? A new brain, maybe?

This first week back will be pretty much clerical-- adding and changing students in the database and similar work, plus the lunch and recess duties. Next week will be the whole enchilada. I've done about 25 hours worth of work in the last couple weeks trying to get ready, but still have a lot to do before that first class comes. Anyway, at the moment I am feeling like YIKES! (As in feeling OVERWHELMED...)

I think I will make copies of before and after x-rays for "show and tell" and hopefully that will buy me some understanding. There are many teachers and students who have missed me, so that is good... I just hope they will still be glad I'm back after the newness wears off.

I guess I'm just rambling on, sharing my concerns with my friends. BTW, I was working on my scoli scrapbook a little yesterday. I'm glad some of you shared your pics with me-- and of course, would still like some more too. I need to buy some more pages! Anyway, thanks so much for being my friends. After I try this workin' business out for a little bit, I'll let you know how that's going. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Best of luck to you, Susie. I'm sure it will be very challenging at first until your body and mind get used to things. I would think that a lot of trial and error will be involved in terms of getting comfortable with the actual physical labor you have to do.

I think the most challenging thing about this surgery (once the acute recovery phase is over) is finding that balance between pushing yourself and protecting yourself. I'm still working on that one. I started working in an office two days a week and couldn't believe how sore I was, but the second week was better than the first.

Hope you're able to take it easy in the evenings for this first week...(like eating lots of takeout!!). Let us know how it goes.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Susie,
      You'll do fine. Just remember to try to ease back into everything. Boy even without a huge surgery going back to work after a year off would be a big change and hard to get used to. Thanks for being here for all of us now its time to get back to the kids who need you. Good Luck!
      Sharon
      2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
      surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
      Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
      5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
      5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
      6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
      (left open with just clear dressing)
      6/6/08 recleaned and closed
      3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Hi Susie!

Boy, your school goes back early in the summer! I'm a teacher and don't start work again until the day after Labour Day.

I'm sure everyone missed you a lot! I know how much we value our librarian/media coordinator. It's such an important job and there's so much to keep track of - the fact that you've already put in so much time shows how dedicated you are and how well I'm sure your library runs.

I know you're worried about energy level at first, which is totally understandable. Working with kids all day can be exhausting (but in a good way). I had surgery on my tailbone last year, followed by having problems with a herniated disc and I just went back half time at first when I returned to work. Is there anyway you could do that? I did find working half-time at first helped me build up my "endurance" and I was back full-time pretty quickly, and more confident than when I first returned.

Also, grade 5s love to help (that's my grade) and you could probably have the grade 5 teachers help you out by organizing a "library helpers" type of program.

I know how nerve-racking/exciting the first day of school is (have you already had the "back-to-school" dreams? - I always have one where I've completely forgotten to come in the week before school starts and am running around trying to get organized in my dream!) and want to wish you good luck!

- Sarah
        - 39 years old
        - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
        - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
        - Harrington rod
        - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
        - New mommy as of February 2011
        - Second child - September 2013
        - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes and advice! I really appreciate it. I'm sure it's mostly just nerves, but also a little reality check...

Chris-- it's good to know you're back at work and succeeding with it-- and that it gets better with a little more time. I will try to ease back in, but at the same time I think that will be impossible. I will definitely take it easy with the cooking and etc. at home.

Sharon-- yes, it will be nice (part of the time!) to be back with the kids, but as Sarah said, they are also exhausting. It's non-stop activity and interaction (or seems that way) the whole time I'm at school. But most of them are really nice kids. There are always some challenges, but that's life-- and they are usually nice underneath the behavior problems.

Sarah-- I had to laugh when you mentioned the dreams-- they started about a month ago, and with 5th grade at that. All of a sudden there they were-- a huge class of 5th graders-- and I hadn't done a thing to get ready for them. They were feeling their oats and devoured me. That was when I realized even though the date was awhile off still, I needed to start tackling some of the jobs... and yes, I realize 5th graders are helpers too. And other than move-ins and last year, I've had these kids since kindergarten. They wouldn't really devour me... I hope! And it's all or nothing for me going back, so even though it sounds good to go back part-time for a little bit, it won't work. As it is, I'll miss Sept. 4th for seeing my scoli doc, and then 1.5 days in mid Sept. when I'm having a colonoscopy. I feel like people will think I'm a real sicko, when I'm really not. But then I wonder-- I just found out I have osteopoenia too. So I'm a little down at the moment because of all that.

I think this is the earliest ever for going back to school-- it's usually mid August. We get out in late May, so it's a trade-off. 180 days, no matter how you serve it up.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Wow Susie! Thats great that you are getting back to work. I'm sure you'll be fine. Bringing xrays is a good idea to stop those who just don't understand. I'm sure it will shock them and appologies would be coming quickly.

I have to let you know that my elementary school librarian really pushed me to expand my mind and read. She really added a whole lot to my life. By grade 7 I was reading 5 books a week. What you do is amazing, so while I can't thank my librarian, I'd like to thank you. You do amazing work.

Just be sure to not overdo it. Take it easy and lean on your helpers more. If you push yourself everything will get worse, so take your time, relax, and enjoy yourself.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Brad
            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
            Still have 57 degree curve
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
            Preop xray (with brace on)
            Postop xray

Comment

Dear Susie,

My guess is that you'll be posting less and that's okay. You have another important place requiring your energy.

I just have to say that you've been such a support to many of us going through post-surgery hiccups and you WON'T be forgotten here, since your words are historical data on the web!

I am also guessing that your school will be thrilled to have you, even if they only get 50% of what you used to do. I have a strong suspicion that your very presence will be applauded and appreciated. Besides, you now have more WISDOM to share. Our surgeries GROW our characters and help us evolve into better human beings. Kids need to have regular contact with wise elders.

PLEASE do get someone else to shelve books, whenever possible. Okay?!
              Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
              May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
              Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Susie,

I imagine your first day(s) will really wear you out. Rest when you get home!

We'll miss you!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good luck!!!

Let us know how everything goes!!
                  26 year old female
                  wore a brace in junior high
                  fusion of T4-L4 at 15 years old
                  broken hardware at 23 due to failed fusion
                  November 10, 2008 hardware removal and fusion of L3-L4

Comment

Thanks for all the supportive comments! Today went ok-- but I won't have kids till next week. So for right now it's less stressful and I can walk around and stretch and stuff when I want. Right now I'm mostly doing paperwork/computer stuff, so my main problem is really tense upper back muscles (pretty ache-y) and neck pain. But livable. Thanks again!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie*Bee,

Good thing that this week is without the kids. Please don't hesitate to ask for help with the difficult stuff - I'm discovering that being a princess is very, very nice!

Can you take Tylenol for the tight muscles? I've been doing pool therapy for about 8 weeks. 3x per week, building core muscles, and although I am very achey afterwards, and take Tylenol, I do feel better nowadays working at the computer than previously.

As the others have said, don't overdo it and get lots of rest. And if you have any energy left at the end of the week, we'd love to hear from you.
                      As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Hope going back to school will be good for you, Susie. I found that having to think about something other than myself and my home helped me more than just about anything. Hope it's the same for you.

Comment

Janet and Joann-- thanks for the encouragement. If it weren't for the fact that I'm achey and exhausted, I'd say it's going well. I think after awhile it will be ok. Tomorrow starts my lunch and recess duties, so that will be adding a little more stress, but hopefully ok. It will be nice to see the kids. It helps that I really like kids.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I am glad you are going back to work. Take it easy and don't do to much. I bet everyone is happy to have you back !!
                            Jamie Age 29
                            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Hi Susie
                              It's great to hear you are back to work and I hope it is going ok - you will no doubt be tired and achey. Thanks for all your posts over the months - you have been very informative and supportive and most of all (for me) very positive. Now it's time to 'get back to normal'. I hope you still get the time to pop back and post, 'cos your input will be missed.
                              btw great photos you posted.
                              Thanks again for being part of this forum.
                              Take Care
                              Louisse
                              Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
                              X