Swimming Competitively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming Competitively

I have seen others ask about getting back into competitive swimming. My daughter will have her op in 2 weeks. Does anyone know how long before she can get back into water, even to do her own light swimming and how long before she can commence squad training again? Will she be able to swim competively and do tumbles and dives?

her surgeon has said there will be some loss of movement with fly and breast, but I don't know if this means she won't be able to do them.

She is having an anterior construct fromm T11-L3 and then a posterior thoracic fusion

Hi and Welcome!

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll answer what I can. My daughter was in the pool doing water thereapy at about 3 months. I don't remember when she was allowed to start light swimming. Jamie was not allowed to jump or dive into the pool for a full year.

Your daughter should be able to continue competing competitively after her surgery. Jamie has a very long fusion, T3-L2, and she never swam competitively until after her surgery. Because of her long fusion, she was unable to do flip turns properly. She can't do the butterfly at all. I'm not sure what position your daughter takes when on the starting block, but Jamie can't bend over and grab the edge of the starting block which puts her a little higher above the water than everyone else.

You'll be surprised at how much she can still do after surgery. Good luck.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I haven't gotten back in the water yet but I can at three months. Just light swimming though. I can't dive until the 1 year mark though but I've heard of people who could do the splits after this operation so I'm sure your daughter will be able to swim and do whatever strokes she wants after she heals and can work on her flexibility. It's different for every person but to get back to the way you were before is possible it just takes time.
      I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
      3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
      Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

I just posted a similar response on a different section, but, here goes. My daughter was fused T2-T11 almost 1 year ago. At 3 months, she was released to light swimming (she had swam competitively in past), no flip turns or diving though. At 6 months, she was released to do everything she wanted in water. She did not want to do the summer swim team this year, too many other things going on, but is anxiously awaiting the fall swim team once school starts. This summer, she's been practicing flip turns and diving, and has had no problems with either.

It has taken awhile to rebuild her stamina, she wasn't quite up to the hard conditioning that started last Feb (about her 6 month mark), but now seems totally back to normal.

Comment

well, i hope all goes well... i'll be praying for her.
          Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
          I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
          My curves were 30 and 31
          I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
          I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
          I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
          I want to meet some new people on this forum!
          Don't be shy...
          Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

My son was allowed back in the water at about 6 weeks post-op but when he went into a pool that soon after surgery, he really didn't feel comfortable. It wasn't until he was about 3 months postop that he started to enjoy being in the water again. He could do crawl and backstroke right away but it took a few more months until he was comfortable with the breast stroke. Side stroke took a few more months and he's never felt like doing the butterfly since the surgery. Since his fusion goes into his lumbar spine, I don't think that butterfly stroke or flip turns are fully possible for him. Maybe it will be different with your daughter because she swims competitively and has probably been doing butterfly and flip turns already. My son was never great at butterfly and just swam for fun and exercise prior to his surgery. I don't think he ever learned how to do flip turns.

Good luck with everything and I hope your daughter's surgery goes really well.
            Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
            Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
            Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

hi

I had my surgery on Febuary 26, 2008 and at about 5 months my doctor cleared me to get in the pool and do breastroke and kicking. No butterfly, freestyle, backstroke, or flip turns. And no diving. At 6 months i can do everything in the pool. I think I can dive as well...Im fused t4-l1 and i have very litte problems doing anything. flip turns are a piece of cake. but the only thing i do notice is that im just a little stiff doin butterfly and breast. But i think thats just because ive been out of the water soo long . Hope all goes well for you!

-Austin
              17 yr old guy
              swimmer
              55* thoracic curve
              42* lumbar curve
              severe trunk shift to the right
              surgery date: Feb. 26 2008
              Fused T4-L1
              Now Trunk shift is GONE
              CURVES less than 10 degrees!

Comment

Check with your doctor. My daughter is 14 and just started back on the swim team this month. She is 1 year post op. She had a high curve, and high incision, so she is able to have more flexiblilty than others. She started back swimming, leisure only at less than 6 months, around 3 months, after incision healed. She didn't start trying flip turns until now, No problems, and hasn't done diving, or butterfly. Butterfly was never her event, so not worried about it. She was given full clearance to do swim team, and she doesn't do high diving. I have posted and seen other posts where people asked in the past on this forum about swimming competitively. It realy depends on the individual and your doctor's advice. Best wishes.
                Shirley
                Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Originally posted by emma12 View Post
                  ... This summer, she's been practicing flip turns and diving, and has had no problems with either. ...
                  Emma12, I just wanted to comment that one big difference in you daughter and some of the others above is the fact her fusion stops at T11. T2 is certainly a high starting point, but doesn't have nearly the effect on flexibility a fusion down below L1 does.

Mine is T4-L1, and my flexibility/mobility was affected exactly to the extent my surgeon predicted ... really not at all (okay, so I'll probably never be able to do a backbend again ... and I'll probably live ;-). Very little bending is done through the thoracic area (even in an unfused spine) because of the ribcage, and consequently, the ramifications of a fusion in this area are minimal.

That's not to say someone who IS fused into the lumbar won't be able to compensate for any loss of mobility, it's just a little more tough, and like MaryLou wrote, I've seen several people say the butterfly stroke is particularly hard after lumbar fusion. I'll be the first to say, some of my lower fused sisters have surprised me with what they can do after surgery! You just never know until it's you or your kid ...

Regards,
                  Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

My daughter was fused four years ago to L3; she swims and has for the last two years for her high school; she does flipturns, dives. She's got great times. Didn't like the butterfly before, still doesn't. So, she doesn't do IM's or butterfly. Your daughter will be swimming before you know it.
                    p

Comment

Pam,

Yes, I certainly realize that lower fusions can cause more limited mobility, I was simply giving my two cents worth of when my daughter was given the ok to resume swimming...some of my other posts elsewhere have shown my concerns about lower fusions, as she may be faced with that, we are still trying to decide which is the better option for her future spine health.

I didn't mention the butterfly, she was never really able to do it well, it took alot out of her to get her arms and shoulders moving like they do for that stroke, perhaps her high curve caused those issues?? Anyway, I believe she is now going to use her surgery as an excuse to get out of doing it in practices, she never liked it!!!

Ausmum-hope your daughter's surgery went well, and that she is on the road to recovery by now.

Comment

Originally posted by emma12 View Post
                        Pam,

Yes, I certainly realize that lower fusions can cause more limited mobility, I was simply giving my two cents worth of when my daughter was given the ok to resume swimming...some of my other posts elsewhere have shown my concerns about lower fusions, as she may be faced with that, we are still trying to decide which is the better option for her future spine health.

I didn't mention the butterfly, she was never really able to do it well, it took alot out of her to get her arms and shoulders moving like they do for that stroke, perhaps her high curve caused those issues?? Anyway, I believe she is now going to use her surgery as an excuse to get out of doing it in practices, she never liked it!!!

Ausmum-hope your daughter's surgery went well, and that she is on the road to recovery by now.
                        That is what we wondered, that maybe the high curve was the reason she didn't do well with the butterfly. Well take care and best wishes.
                        Shirley
                        Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
                        X