Qustions about HSS & Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qustions about HSS & Rehab

I posted this inder the revision topic also.

I have a few questions for those that have had surgery at HSS and also rehab after surgery:
    1) Will the hospital allow anyone from your family to stay in the room with you overnight?

2) If not where did family stay? Do any Hotels offer a special rate to family members of patients at HSS?

3) Did you have Private Duty Nurses? If so, what are the best hours to have one?

4) What can you tell me about Burke Rehab in White Plains or Helen Hayes Rehab in West Haverstraw? Has anyone been to either?

5) What follow-up visits does Dr. Boachie? (Are they: 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year)? At 1 month would I be able to take the train the NYC (Metro North to Grand Central)? I would take a cab from Grand Cental to his office.

Hss

Sorry, I cannot answer all your questions, but...:

#2: I've always stayed at the Helmsley Medical Tower, on York Avenue literally in front of HSS. Current rate is $225 / night (which IMO is a bargain for Manhattan, esp. for a decent location) for a studio - 1 or 2 beds, small kitchen. Not a 5-star, but perfectly adequate for its purpose. BTW it tends to be very quiet b/c most everyone is recovering or tending to someone recovering.

#3: I didn't have a PDN - what might have been beneficial was a nurse's aide for when family can't be there, such as overnight.

#4: I don't know about the 2 rehabs you named, however, if you decide to stay in Manhattan, DO NOT go to NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases - the nurses aides were flat-out lazy, and the doctors kept contradicting one another re my pain meds. The PTs there seemed to be OK.

#5: Follow-up visits with Dr. B. I beleive are as you mentioned; however there is room for flexibility. I saw Dr. B at 1 month, but didn't even have the exam because I was very sick and weak. Because I live in CA, I didn't attempt a return visit as I had a number of other problems as well and I knew I couldn't handle the travel. BUT ... I do have an appointment with him for Sept. 15, making it my first real exam at 8.5 months post-op. His nurse, Lindy, can provide more info; possibly a lot depends on the degree of surgery.

As far as short-distance travel & cabs, just take a couple of pillows with you and you should be fine (and maybe a pain pill before you start out). However, I recommend getting a limo instead of a cab - the drivers are courteous, the vehicle doesn't smell of nicotine, and you get a large vehicle such as a Lincoln Town Car or a Mercedes, and the fare is only slightly higher than for a taxi.

Hope this helps somewhat. There are quite a few Dr. B graduates on the forum, and perhaps they had different experiences than mine.
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

I left you a detailed reply to this on the Revision forum.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I toured Burke's Rehab. It has an excellent reputation and it seems that they do a good job. BUT, I didn't go to their facility after my surgery. Burkes is geared to help patients get strong through lots of daily exercise, etc. When I told them that I wouldn't be able to participate in much exercise post-surgery and I would actually need a lot of bed rest, they said it wasn't the right place for me. They would probably turn me away.

I ended up staying at that pricey Bel-Aire Guesthouse affiliated with the Hospital for Special Surgeries. The Hemsley Towers are a less expensive option. Truth is, you simply need to rest and the Rehab Centers aren't geared for that. It is best if you have someone who can stay with you during this time.

Best Wishes!
        Ginger
        Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
        May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
        Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
        X