Surgery Scheduled 10/21 & a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Scheduled 10/21 & a few questions

I finally have my surgery scheduled. I had to get PFT before Dr. Boachie would let me schedule it. Has PFT in March and then saw Dr. Boachie on May 19th. The first available date at that time was October 21, 2008, so I took it.

This will be a revision, have first surgery in 1979 at age 27. Current Herrington rod will be removed and replaced with new hardware. My existing Herrington rod goes from T4 to L4. The new may go up to T3 to L4 (I hope). I currently have a 82*/35* curve and hope to get this better and improve the rib hump.

I have a few questions for those that have had surgery at HSS and also rehab after surgery:
    1) Will the hospital allow anyone from your family to stay in the room with you overnight?

2) If not where did family stay? Do any Hotels offer a special rate to family members of patients at HSS?

3) Did you have Private Duty Nurses? If so, what are the best hours to have one?

4) What can you tell me about Burke Rehab in White Plains or Helen Hayes Rehab in West Haverstraw? Has anyone been to either?

5) What follow-up visits does Dr. Boachie? (Are they: 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year)? At 1 month would I be able to take the train the NYC (Metro North to Grand Central)? I would take a cab from Grand Cental to his office.

Thanks
    Arlene (2lucky2)

Arlene-- that's exciting that you have your date set. That always seems like a major step. I went ahead and added you to the thread that we started awhile ago with upcoming surgeries: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7443

There seem to be quite a few people who have had Dr. Boachie, so I'm sure you'll hear answers to your questions. Best wishes as you prepare for your revision surgery!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Arlene,

I can only answer one of those questions. I saw Dr. Boachie in June and discussed surgery dates with his scheduling lady. She said that I would have to go back for a follow up appointment after 2 weeks. I'm guessing that's 2 weeks after discharge.

I'm sure you'll get answers to your other questions. You gave me another good one to think about--where can family stay. I'm scheduled for Oct 15th at Beth Israel, so I think I'll call tomorrow and ask about my husband. I know he doesn't want to leave the city at least the first few days when I'm there, even tho we live in NJ, it can take hours to get in.

Good luck!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Arlene,

Based on my own experience:

1. Family members cannot stay in the room overnight, which is why I arranged for a private duty nurse. I would highly recommend doing that as the nurses in this hospital are extremely busy. The hospital uses a couple of nursing agencies and will contact the agency for you.

2. There is a hotel called the Bel Aire directly across the street from the hospital where family members typically stay. It's a bit pricey but so is everything decent in NYC, really. If you go on the hospital's web site they list a few more hotel options within walking distance of the hospital.

3. Again, "yes" to the private duty nurse question -- for the overnight hours (I think mine came around 7:30 p.m. and left at 6 or 7 the next morning. She was wonderful and made all the difference for me).

4. Don;t know anything about those rehabs -- I went to one closer to my home (near Philadelphia). Do your homework on this one -- you want to be sure you have one picked out before surgery. If it's any distance away you'll be taken by ambulance (that's a good thing!).

5. Generally Boachie wants to see you at one month post-op, but I waited 2 months because I was having trouble with a weak right leg and couldn't travel easily. I went to NY again by car at 6 months, and then took the train and cab easily at one year. Sometimes Dr. B wants to see people more often -- I think it depends on your particular fusion. In my case I don't have to see him again until my 2-year checkup.

Good luck to you!!! You're in good hands.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
        X