No announcement yet.

Harrington Rods - material circa 1990?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrington Rods - material circa 1990?

I did read through the other MRI thread and it sounds like it's fine to have an MRI with a Harrington rod, no matter what the material is. Here's my problem: When I first herniated a disc below my fusion, I had two different doctors tell me there was no way could I have an MRI with my Harrington rod. My GP put in a request for a CT scan...and the hospital moved me to the MRI waiting list instead. When I called, they were unable to tell me if it was safe for me to have an MRI. They asked me to find out the material of the rod from the Children's Hospital where I'd had my surgery 18 years earlier. I called the hospital, but was told I'd need to order my records which could take several weeks. At this point, I just asked to be put back on the CT scan list (mainly because it was only a 2 month wait as opposed to a 9 month wait for an MRI).

Well, I finally ordered my records...and there is no mention of any of the materials. I am back on the MRI list now and I know they are going to ask me again about the materials of the rods, etc. when they call to schedule me.

So...for anyone with better records than me who knows anything about Harrington rods from around 1990, what material were they at that point? I also have 2 distraction hooks, 6 compression hooks and 4 Drummond buttons (and a patridge in a pear tree, lol ) and if you happen to know the materials of those that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

- Sarah
    - 39 years old
    - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
    - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
    - Harrington rod
    - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
    - New mommy as of February 2011
    - Second child - September 2013
    - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Hi Sarah...

As far as I know, Harrington rods have never been manufactured (at least in the U.S.) from anything other than stainless steel. Harrington rods are now being manufactured outside of the U.S., so it's possible that there are some titanium Harrington rods out there.

With that said, it's perfectly safe to have an CT scan with the implants, regardless of what they're made.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks, Linda, that helps a lot. I've actually already had my CT scan and no one was concerned about materials for that one. The reason I'm now researching this, is that I'm hoping to get an MRI and they want to know what materials I have in my back before they schedule it. I would guess that a Harrington rod used in 1990 in Canada was probably manufactured in the U.S., so your answer of stainless steel is most likely what I have. Thanks again.

- Sarah
      - 39 years old
      - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
      - Harrington rod
      - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.

Comment

Sarah...

It's completely safe to have an MRI with stainless steel spinal implants, but the implants may make the the MRI unreadable, at least in the area of the implants.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That's good to know, since the area they need to see is below all of the hardware. Thanks for this information, Linda!

- Sarah
          - 39 years old
          - Harrington rod

Comment

Glad to read this. I am freaking out right now. I have always been told I couldn't have MRI's and my heart dr. has ordered one (they have to give me open heart sugery before they can fix a ruptured disk/fractured vertabrae)

Glad to know they are safe with the harrington rods
            37 yo
            diagnosed at the age of 5. Wore milwaukie brace with boston girdle from 2nd grade until 8th, had first spinal fusion/harrington rod surger upper back, 1983. Brace was taken off after healing.

In 1987 discovered lower back needed surgerie as well, had 1st rod replaced and 2nd put in.

I have a 6 yo son who was diagnosed with infant scoliosis at the age of 1. Seems to have outgrown but we are monitoring.

Comment

Sarah & Pleasemama,
              I just had an MRI about a month ago (requested by Dr. Boachie) and the Harrington Rod has been in my back since 1981. I've noticed, however, that in my report it says at one point "the artifact from metallic hardware limits this evaluation and if there is a clinical concern of this entity, CT might be more diagnostic" (referring to spondylolysis defects). It is perfectly save. LYNN
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
              X