off topic post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off topic post

I was watching the movie Billy Elliott the other night. The one about the young boy who wants to take ballet lessons and becomes a brilliant ballet dancer. They show him at school being checked by the doctor for scoliosis. they found a slight curve but no more mention of it. thought it was neat that they did that. ok, back to trying to work on my final due monday.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Interesting!

Avis-- I didn't think this was "off topic"... it's always interesting to hear about scoli being mentioned in mainstream ways. Besides, it intrigued me enough to google the movie and find that it sounds like one I'd like to see too! Thanks for sharing!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Speaking of scoliosis being mentioned in mainstream ways, I was just watching Forest Gump again and caught a potential reference that I didn't pick up on when seeing it before scoli became a part of my daughter's life...in the beginning when he is wearing those leg braces he says that his legs are fine but he wore them because his back was curved...or something like that, I don't remember exactly. I thought it peculiar, were leg braces ever a treatment for scoli back in the 50s or so?

Also, speaking of off topic Izzy, one of the girls that also took lessons at my daughter's dance studio auditioned and got picked to perform in the Broadway version of Billy Elliot that will be opening in NYC in the fall. She's a really good dancer, but I don't know the details (i.e. whether she will be part of the "dance troupe" or what) Cool, huh?
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

i am glad that this wasn't thought of off track. billy elliot is a wonderful movie which i would suggest to anyone.
        avis
        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

There was something on Greys Anatomy, I think Season 2, where a girl had a scoliosis/kyphosis op. She was bent in half, and then ended up 'fixed' at the end. It was cool, is nice to have references to it on TV. For me it was good because my friends could see something and have a bit of an understanding what it's all about.

There is also a website somewhere that lists celebrities who have Scoli. Sarah Michelle-Gellar is one, Chloe Svegn*$... (sp?) When I've had a look at their photos, I can't tell. There was also in New Zealand a dancer on dancing with the stars who has Scoliosis. She was told to keep dancing because it would help, and then they made some unkind reference to needing rods in her back otherwise, and how yuck that would be. Charming. Like we need to feel any worse about it. It was the magazines comment, not hers though.
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Among "famous people" with scoliosis, my favorite are athletes . I've seen written here several times that golf is out post-op, but these ladies prove differently ...

Kathy Farrer toured (pre-op) with the LPGA from '68-'79 - and went on to coach LPGA players. Shelokov did her surgery (A/P approach) in 2003, and I've read she hopes to get back to Senior Division championship form.

... and THEN ...

23 year old local (The Woodlands is just north of Houston) Stacey Lewis had fusion surgery at 18 - and tied for 3rd in the 2008 US Women's Open.

BTW, there are actually several sites that name celebrities: www.sdscoliosis.com is one ...

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

I actually could tell Sarah Michelle Gellar had scoliosis... I could see her rib hump on Buffy. It's subtle but something about the way she moved made me look harder on couple of episodes
              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
              2005 - T50, L31
              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I believe that Mark Spitz has had severe kyphosis, uncorrected, but it didn't stop him from winning all kinds of swimming competitions.

Isabella Rosselini had scoliosis but was treated as a young teenager via the body cast / stay-in-bed-for-a-year protocol.

Dangnabbit! I wish there were more publicity about this condition, just to raise general awareness....
                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

olympic tennis star James Blake...

I just heard on TV about this olympic athlete having had severe scoliosis-- not sure what his status is now in regards to that, but here's a little blurb on him... although the rest of you may already know this.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/artic...ated-headlines
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                  X