my dr.'s app. can someone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dr.'s app. can someone help?

i went to see an orthopedic surgeon yesturday about the 28degree curve in my spine.well he said he had no doubt that its causing all the problems im having but its not bad enough to do anything about.he said it is something i have to learn to deal with.how the ?@## do i learn to deal with it?this was supposed to be the best dr. where im from so what do i do now? one question i have is what could this be?i have tried to lay on my back when i go to bed but when i lay there for a few mins my neck starts to hurt and my arms and legs will start to tingle like they are going to sleep.what is this?and what can i do?that dr said a chiropractor might could help with the muscle spasms but of course he wouldnt be able to straighten my spine. i just dont know what to do.i have had this pain for over a year and i am very tired of it. thank you for any help and for letteing me vent for a moment.

Many people might not say this but after spending 6 years getting answers on my ankle (I tore ligaments, but no-one believed it, could work out what was going on, and I spent many hours being told its your imagination and all in your head), persist until you can get an answer (or some help to relieve to pain), you sound extremely frustrated and annoyed and just want an answer

:Has the Doctor done an MRI/Cat Scan to rule out any nerve problems etc that might be aggrevating the problem

:Can you get a second opinion (not on straightening the curve) that may be able to give you answers on what can be done to help

:Have you tried massage (my Mum has spurs growing in her neck and she finds this helps)

:And most importantly, stay persistent, don't be afraid to cry and get frustrated, but do whatever you can to find an answer

Alison

Comment

no they have not done an mri,only regular xrays and thats where it showed my curve.i am going to my family dr so i will see if she will send me for an mri. thanks for your reply. i hope and pray some one can get rid of this pain

Comment

My thinking behind an MRI is that it can show nerves and a lot more than an X-Ray can

Comment

don't give up

You said you saw an orthopedic surgeon- I would consider seeing a neurologist next. While the curve may not be bad, it shouldn't be ignored if you have such bad symptoms. My mother took me to a dr when I was 12 because I complained of pain in my "stomach"- something that had begun when I was about 7. His answer was that I was "at that age" (clearly alluding to females beginning menstration) and "probably looking for attention". He took no x-rays or looked any further into the problem. Unfortunately my mother did not take me to another doctor. At age 37 I was diagnosed with 6 esophageal ulcers- one which the dr told me I "probably had for 25 years"! (which he considered pre-cancerous if left untreated). So, I would never ever listen to any doctor who tells you to "live with it"!

Comment

OHHH How I feel your Pain and Furstration!

Originally posted by tammy27530
            i went to see an orthopedic surgeon yesturday about the 28degree curve in my spine.well he said he had no doubt that its causing all the problems im having but its not bad enough to do anything about.he said it is something i have to learn to deal with.how the ?@## do i learn to deal with it?this was supposed to be the best dr. where im from so what do i do now? ....i just dont know what to do.i have had this pain for over a year and i am very tired of it. thank you for any help and for letteing me vent for a moment.
            I know exactly your frustration. In fact a month ago I was exactly where you were… in an insensitive, egotistical, greedy Doctor’s office who did not have the slightest sympathy or care to my lived experience. In fact, my husband who went inside with me, felt like the doctor some how did not take a liking to me because his brash and uncaring way of communicating with me was not only unprofessional but down right rude! Mind you this is a Doctor I have never seen before… after telling him all my pain and concern (nearly choking with tears of frustration and pain) he asked several routine medical history. I was reluctant to tell him my previous diagnosis because I know they prejudge and don’t do the necessary investigation. I am tired of hearing "keep on taking your pills and excersice". Not only that since in my previous diagnosis I did not get the full extent and the severity of my curvature I thought I keep my mouth shut and hear what this Doctor says. I mean to this date I don’t even know what the degree of my curvature is for pit sake! Anyways he must have sensed my resistance and asked me more and I said I prefer not to discuss my previous medical history for such reasons. I don’t think that rubbed him the right way. Anyways he asked me to bend over and with one glance he said ‘you have a scoliosis’. Like I didn’t know that. I asked him to order an MRI test since I am tried of taking snaps of x-ray that obviously is not disclosing enough information. I told him my condition is worse than it has ever been and that I needed an MRI. He quickly and very rudely said “I don’t recommend it”. he had the audacity to give me a leaflet of different routine exercise and discharge me with my tears welled up in my eyes and my hopes crushed at its wake! I didn’t even last 10 minute in his office and few weeks letter I received bill payments of outrageous amount for such treatment. Where is the justice in this? What is the point of taking an oath of such caliber? Where is the compassion? Why is it that in America you have to be an elderly or on a life support for someone to fight for your quality of life? These are the thoughts that hunt my daily life. I mean remember Terry? Remember all the fight to save her life… to keep her even if it mean in the state she was? Are you and I less worthy of such courtesy? Or do they not believe we don’t experience the pain we say we do feel? I mean if you are a 70 some person and felt the slightest pain they would run gametes of tests of all sorts, CT scan, MRI, all types of blood works… I mean the whole nine-yard to see what has gone wrong. I mean I know so since I have been in a hospital setting and witness all of it. So it makes me wonder is being supposed to be synonymous with being healthy therefore not worthy of the fret? I simply don’t get it!
            Last edited by TrappedInBody; 06-12-2005, 05:21 AM.
            NO MORE PAIN!

Comment

Working...
            X