FAO: Laura... Night time bracing for JIS article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO: Laura... Night time bracing for JIS article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18449040?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

Juvenile idiopathic scoliosis: the effectiveness of part-time bracing.
    Jarvis J, Garbedian S, Swamy G.

Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Ottawa, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada. jarvis@cheo.on.ca

STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective review of 34 patients with juvenile idiopathic scoliosis (JIS) treated with a nighttime bending brace. OBJECTIVE: To determine the effectiveness of part-time bracing in JIS. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Although previous bracing studies have focused on adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, no authors have dealt specifically with part-time bracing for JIS. METHODS: Twenty-three patients included in the study met the following criteria: curves greater than 20 degrees and Risser zero at initiation of bracing, brace wear more than 12 months, completion of the bracing program and Risser sign greater than or equal to 4 at final follow-up. Patients were analyzed according to 3 groups: (1) success (progression equal or less than 5 degrees), (2) progression more than 5 degrees (but not requiring surgery and achieving curve stabilization at skeletal maturity), and (3) surgery (curve progressing to greater than 45 degrees ) with failure of bracing treatment during skeletal immaturity. RESULTS: Seven boys and 16 girls with a total of 37 curves were analyzed. The average age at referral and initiation of bracing was 8.3 and 10.3 years, respectively. Average curve magnitude at time of bracing was 30 degrees. Length of bracing averaged 3.7 years with follow-up after brace discontinuation of 2.5 years. Nine patients met the criteria for success, with 7 patients progressing and 7 patients eventually requiring spinal fusion. Of the 37 curves, 19 (51%) were successfully managed in the brace. The magnitude of curvature at initiation of bracing did not relate to a successful outcome, whereas success did correlate with higher radiographic in-brace correction. Given the longer course of treatment for JIS patients, part-time bracing offers potential psychosocial and compliance benefits. CONCLUSION: Part-time bracing in JIS is successful and is better than the natural history.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Thank you for this Sharon.

Only just spotted it - don't know how I missed it before!

Interesting stuff; I only wish we had this option...

Laura
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

I know this is an old thread...

I was just doing some random on-line research and came across the pub med abstract for this (I think). It's interesting but I note that the referral for bracing for girls was after the age of 10, which means they had low curves during the juvenile years. Still it got my attention. I am trying to get the full article. This is the Charleston Brace, yes? I wish there were more JIS studies. I think (for no reason other than that a 15 degree curve is hard to see without an x-ray) a lot of AIS kids are undetected JIS cases...
      mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
      Providence night brace, increased to 35*
      Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
      14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
      11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
      Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
      latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
      currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Originally posted by mamandcrm View Post
        I think (for no reason other than that a 15 degree curve is hard to see without an x-ray) a lot of AIS kids are undetected JIS cases...
        That could be and would be what Ballet Mom suggested for the 1% of Scoliscores >180*. To the extent JIS is a tougher nut to crack, this might make sense.

That said, I would have to say the vast majority of bracing successes in this sandbox are for JIS, not AIS so I don't know what is going on if that is representative of the population at large. Those kids with a Scoliscore >180* are referred to as brace-resistant or something like that I think.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X