Thread: weird rash along my spine?

weird rash along my spine?

Hi everybody,

Here recently I discovered a very strange rash along my spine. It doesn't itch at all, and it's nowhere else on my body. I'm a little worried about it. And I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but right where my rods are, my back has this "popping sensation." I swear, it feels like my back pops constantly. And I've also been dealing with some moderate pain. What's up with that? Has anybody else discovered some type of rash on their back after surgery along with pain? I'm just curious about all this... I hope I don't sound like a hypochondriac

thanks everyone!
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52 Lumbar curve and 25 Thoracic curve

Hi Hailey...

It seems to me that the rash could be an indication of an infection or of an allergy. I think it would be a good idea to contact your doctor's office to see if they want to see you before your next scheduled appointment.

Regards,
    Linda

Hmmm well I had my surgery in June of this year, and I find that my around my scar is just kinda like dry skin and a little itchy.
    So I often ask my mom or dad to put lotion on it.

About a month ago, I noticed that my daughter had some spotted, darker skin right along the side of her scar - her surgery was in December. I've been pretty anal about making sure she slathers with sunscreen whenever she's out in the sun with her back exposed. When I saw the spots, I came to the conclusion that the spots were a result of either being in the sun too much and her skin was damaged or she was developing some sort of a reaction to the rods and was beginning to worry. Well more recently, she noticed that the "spots" actually could come off.. Turns out, it was just dirty skin! She's been so afraid to touch the area of her scar that I don't think she was properly washing her back. So once I gave her a soft sponge and a little bit of baby oil, all those dark spots came right off.

Talking Ha ha ha!

Karen-- your post made my day! I will be laughing for awhile!!! Some of our worries are SOOOOO unfounded! It's so good to read something like this. Thanks for sharing! Susie
    63, and feeling better with each year-- Life is good!
    2007 major curve @ 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shiftt
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15-- and Tickled Pink!!!

Click to view my pics: [url=http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/SusieB1951/pics%20of%20scoli%20x-rays/,[/url] digital x-rays, and pics of me