Doctor in San Antonio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor in San Antonio

My 15 year old son was recently diagnosed with scoliosis. We were referred to a Dr. Jeffrey Warman in San Antonio. Does anyone know anything about him?

My son had his first appointment with him and we liked him and he certainly seemed competent and confident, but since he is recommending surgery I would feel better with feedback from someone who actually has used him or knows about him.

Thanks.

P.S. - I have been lurking here since my son was diagnosed in June. I really appreciate all the information and support.

Bill's Mom...

Although I can't offer any information on Dr. Warman, I can suggest the following: 1) get a second or even third opinion before choosing a doctor; or 2) if you feel completely comfortable with Dr. Warman, you can always ask for a list of patients who've had surgery done by him and try to talk to them; 3) always, no matter which doctor you choose, ask ALOT of questions and do your research (which you've already started doing)

Best of luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

My 5 year old was just diagnosed and we saw Dr. Geck in Austin who seemed to be very knowledgable. I felt comfortable with him. I am also going to Fort worth to Cook's children's hospital and currently filling out an application to Texas Scottish Rites in Dallas.

Comment

Wooried Mom,

So sorry to hear about your 5 year old. That sure must be tough. Is surgery being recommended or is this a watch and wait?

I work with someone whose 14 year old daughter had scoliosis surgery in June. Dr. Geck was her doctor and they really liked him.

We live in New Braunfels, so we planned on using a doctor in San Antonio. Our pediatrician recommended Dr. Warman and we really like him. Since there's no question in our minds that our son needs surgery and we feel he is a very qualified doctor, we feel comfortable sticking with Dr. Warman. I just would like to talk to someone who has used him.

Good luck in your search.

Susan

Comment

Worriedmom...

If you are considering more opinions, please try Dr. Robert Campbell in San Antonio, at Santa Rosa Children's Hospital. He specializes in helping very young children with scoliosis and related problems. I can give you an email and phone number contact, if you are interested. We flew from Utah to San Antonio to have him (and his team) operate on my son three years ago. Fortunately for our pocketbooks, we are now able to stay local for excellent care. I wish you the best.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks so much for you quick responses. I will look into Dr. Campbell in S.A. How old was your son when he had his surgery?

Comment

worriedmom - My son was born with severe congenital scoliosis. At age 11 months, he had anterior/posterior fusion only surgery. This stopped the progression of his curve (75 degrees). He did well for a few years, then his spine began to curve below the fused area. His hips and shoulders were not level, and his neck and pelvis were not aligned anymore. We went to San Antonio when he was 6 to have Dr. Campbell implant two vertical, expandable titanium rods to support his spine and expand the right side of his chest (giving his right lung more volume). At age 6, he only weighed 32 pounds. Since then (3 years ago, he is now 9yrs old) he has gained 13 pounds and his body is thriving, finally. Dr. Campbell and Dr. Smith (the thoracic surgeon) will always have a special place in our hearts, as their devices and designs have literally given my son a new outlook on life. He has no physical restrictions. He loves to ride his bike, climb on the playground equipment at school, dig in the dirt and everything else a 9yr old boy loves to do.

Good luck and let me know how things are going for you.
              Carmell
              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
              X