Funny scoliosis stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny scoliosis stories

I've been reading some of the negative stories about scoliosis and so I thought I'd start a thread about funny scoliosis stories.

I'll start...

My very first day of school going into grade one my oldest brother, who was going into grade 5, would bring his friends over to punch me in the stomach. They were reluctant to until both me and my brother would convince them it was fine. Of course I was wearing a brace at the time, and it hurt them far more than it hurt me. (30 years later my brother & I still laugh about that)

When I was 6 or 7 I used to take my shirt off so my brace was showing, then lie down at the top of the stairs and slide down them. The plastic brace worked great for that. You just have to be careful and not go too fast.

Playing soccer one day the ball was kicked pretty hard, and hit me square in the chest, then flew off pretty far. The play was stopped and the refs ran over to make sure I was ok. The ball knocked me back a step, but because of my brace I was fine. At the time the tv show 'Six Million Dollar Man' was very popular and kids thought I was bionic. The other team gave me a lot of room that day. lol

OK, so what are your humourous stories?

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

We were at my sister's house when a friend of her husband's started playing guitar. At the end of his song the kids did a drum roll, much to his surprise. It took him a few seconds to figure out there was more than skin under the clothes.
    Emily

Comment

Well since no one else is adding any stories, I suppose I will...

In ICU I was on a resperator for 3 days after the first op, and 2 days after the second. I could not speak with the tube going down my throat, so when I needed something I would write it down. (the nurses had given me a clipboard and a pen for me to use) My right arm was strapped to a board with my IV in it, so I could not use my writing hand to write with. I guess I was good enough with my left, the first day I tried writing with my right hand, and how much better the printing was, the nurses were shocked, they thought I was left handed!

When I went into the hospital I brought with me a new stuffed dog my mother had given me, it was this cute beagle that was basically just a big head and had only a small body. I put a watch on it so that when I was in ICU I would know what time it was without having to disturb the nurses. I used to ask (well write) the doctors and nurses if they knew what type of dog it was, they never got the right answer, 'Its a watch dog!'.

C'mon people! I know I'm not the only one with a funny story or 10!

Brad
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Postop xray

Comment

I wore a plastic Boston bucket with the Milwaulkee hardware. One bar up the center, two up the back and the ring around the neck. My older brother would often say lay down on your back I want to carry you like a suitcase. My Dad caught us once and chewed us out, because my "rivets" might pull out.

My head was never in the center of the ring because I has a high thoracic curve so there was a pad attached from the front bar to the back, sort of squishing my boob. It was also built up with a pad on the left inside the bucket part. Because I was never in the center of the ring, very often the right neck hinge would pinch my skin, I had a permant hickey on my neck for a few years.

I could also ride a unicyle with my brace on. I would take off and ride around the block. Each time I peddled my legs would come up high enough(position of pedals) to pumup the bottom edge on the brace, driving the ring under my chin. Flling was am bit rough in the brace. I got very good at riding the unicyle.I know I must have been a sight racing around the neighborhood.

I can only imagine how I looked when I got the headgear with the braces for my teeth, and for a while I had to wer my headgear and my back brace during the day at the same time. Geez, adolescence(sp) was a bit challenging!!
        Mary
        T-64
        L-40
        Wore Milwaulkee brace from 6th grade until 11th grade. Surgery was scheduled Oct. 1983, did not go through with it.

Comment

Abs of Plastic

Once I was teasing a little boy by calling him a cutie-pie (he HATED that). Then he said "If you call me that one more time, I'm gonna punch u in the stomach!" So I continued to call him a cutie-pie. When he came over to punch me he was a bit hesitant because I am a girl, but I said, "Go ahead, I'm tough." So he threw a hard punch right into my stomach not knowing I had my back brace on. He took a step back surprised and confused , then we all started laughing. My mom was in the room at the time and said "She has abs of plastic!!!"

~MONICA~

Comment

A couple month's ago in P.E. a group of my friends were playing Red Rover. After a while, the other team said "Red Rover, Red Rover, send Rachel on over." I told them that I didn't really want to go, but they insisted. So, I sprinted to the other side and plowed two people over. The looks on their faces were PRICELESS. I'm so glad I ran.

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower
              The first day I got my brace my mom treated me to the newly opened Universal Studios. It must have been around Halloween b/c I remember walking through this dark, scary maze with strobe lights. A guy dressed as Frankenstein jumped out at me and grabbed me from behind, what he ended up grabbing were the bars on the back of my Milwaukee brace!!! I still remember the look on his face, it startled the **** out of him!! I was so self-conscious it wasn't funny at the time, but I have to laugh about it now
              I invite to visit www.schrothmethod.com and www.scoliosistreatment-schroth.com for other options.

Comment

Look at the ol' ditz!

OK. I was trying to refrain from older lady funny stories, but since this thread is funny stories "in general" (Brad said it wasn't limited to the younger bunch type ones even though it's in their area), and it seems to have gotten off course a little, I will tell one that happened probably 4 months ago...

It has to do with limitations and challenges, and how we deal with the unexpected ones...

I was at the grocery store and hubby had gone off on his own to who knows where in the store (we shop together) and he usually had been getting the harder to reach items for me. (OK, sometimes I'd circle them if he wasn't right there so he could go back and get them.} Well, this time I got impatient and figured I could manage just fine... I was feeling pretty cocky at the time cuz I was workin' on being able to squat (since I couldn't very well AND keep my balance AND GET BACK UP!)-- plus, of course, I wasn't allowed to BEND! Well, my leg strength and balance would allow me to do a very quick squat, so I did and grabbed at the can I needed. Soooo sad to say that another one fell off the shelf too, and rolled to the center of the aisle. There I was, in a real pickle (reminds me of a different story!) because there was no way I could reach clear down to the floor at that time, even if there had been something for me to hold onto. So, what's a body to do?? I couldn't leave the can in the middle of the aisle because someone might slip or trip or something on it. I was soooo embarrassed! I very furtively looked to see if anyone was watching, and with my fingers crossed, I kicked the can under the lip of the lower shelf, out of the way. Yep, you guessed it-- right then a whole family came around the corner and watched me kick the can! I just smiled my big smile and went on my way... I mean, who wants to listen to an old crazy lady who kicks cans??? So I didn't see any reason to "explain"....

The happy ending of the story is that if it happens now, I think I could probably pick the can up! PROGRESS!

(BTW-- if I truly looked like an old lady, I could get by better... but when you're just in your 50s and dye your hair to boot, you really look like there's no viable excuse for kicking cans...)

Anyone want to hear the dropped keys story? Oh yeah, I guess you can figure that one out...
                Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-20-2008, 02:03 PM. Reason: Adding on...
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
                  Anyone want to hear the dropped keys story? Oh yeah, I guess you can figure that one out...
                  You kicked them under the lip of a lower shelf??

Here is a story that like flowerpower, wasn't funny at the time, in fact it had my mother in fits...

After I left the hopsital and was in the airport heading home, I had to pass through security. Now I was wearing a Milwaulkee brace with one steel rod in front, and two in the back. It was also september and getting cold, so I was wearing a jacket. I was wheeled to security, and here was this 12 year old boy, who weighed 56lbs (down from 88 pre surgery),and who looked like a small breeze could knock him down, so the security guards all turned away. Now I was a bit mischevious when I was young... (ok I still am ) The hospital had also given me a card saying my rods might set off a metal detector at the airport, (they don't) so as I was walking through the detector I had both hands in my pockets, the guards who turned away ran over to me as I walked through with the alarms blaring. Then I pulled my hands out of my pockets and all 3 guards stopped dead in their tracks. Then they saw my hands were empty they rushed forward. I showed one the card I had just gotten, and they used the hand wand on me. Everytime they hit one of the bars for the brace they grabbed it and shook it violently. My poor mother was in fits seeing her son who had just had major surgery being manhandled by security.
                  Looking back at it now it is funny, but at the time it probably would have been wiser had I not done that.

Later that day...

We arrived at my home town (Winnipeg, MB) after a very nice flight where the flight attendants moved some people around so I could lay down and not have to sit through turbulence. We had requested another wheelchair to meet us. My mother carefully explained to the attendant to be very careful with me, he then proceeded to hit every bump and hole in the airport. I swear he doubled back over some of them too.

My poor mother that day.
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Postop xray

Comment

We have a whole topic of these on SK as well...I'm just gonna c&p...

haha this is more funny then pathetic

When I first got my brace like 4 weeks ago, I had a HUGE obsession with using it as a drum...lol (i still do...hehe) and so I would tap it and hit it, especially tap my nails on the collarbone part, so I got nervous and started doing it the (the first day of school) most ppl didnt know yet, and my mom didnt tell my teachers bcuz I didnt want her to. All the sudden I look up cuz I felt this awkwardness. The whole class was staring at me absently tapping my brace and my science teacher XD thot it was my real collarbone! haha and then my social studies teacher the next day kept running to see who was knocking on the door (it was my brace again) half the ppl in my science class are in that class too so aftr a few minutes they all groan and go "its danielle's brace...no ones at the door" and my teacher like got really serious aftr that...haha but hes cool

LAstly, I was talking to my friend ( i forgot what class this has happened in many) and I leaned back over a counter, and fell straight back, my legs flying in the air...haha i got stuck too...:-P lol I'll think of more...if not I'll experience more, thats for sure!

wow...that was after I first joined the site in Decemeber. I have more but I'll save ya reading a whole bunch! Meh...I'll just add the rest...sorry its long.

owch...well like a couple weeks ago we did anne frank for our la class, and we (my group) wer practicing, and we were supposed to b "sleeping" and we have a long term sub who didnt kno about my brace. so i laid down and got stuck and she started like yelling at me XD it was hilarious, im like thrashin like a turtle and shes like yelling and then she was like "ohhh XD"

that was in february. well thats it actually. xD enjoy...
                    Last edited by ElleBelleCurvz; 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM.
                    Danielle
                    14 Freshwoman
                    December 1st got no head the boston brace
                    Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                    In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                    In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                    We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Danielle

Try this...

When I was in elementary school I used to play a trick on my teachers. When they bent down to pick something up, I would release the velcro strap on my shoulder, which made it sound like ripping cloth. It only worked a few times, but was pretty funny.
                      (thats if they still use those velcro straps these days...)

I also know what you mean about getting stuck on your back. The same thing used to happen to me on ice. I'd be playing hockey, (defence) fall on my back, and the ref would have to come along, grab me by the front of my jersey and yank me up.

(and the drumming... I still do that on my chest 25 years after I stopped wearing a brace. Some habits are hard to break...)

Brad
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Postop xray

Comment

Hahaha nice. :-)
                        I'll have to wait and see what teachers that would work for next year. I had the PERFECT one this year (the science teacher i told you about) she was the nicest and most absent minded person in the WORLD
                        and yes, they do still use velcro.
                        Danielle
                        14 Freshwoman

Comment

These are my DD's but we thought they were hilarious.

After she first got her brace (they called it TLSO but basically I think it was a Boston), we were playing a board game and she leaned across to throw the dice. Then promptly said "I'm stuck on the table" -- It took me a minute to realize she really WAS stuck on the table. It had just a little ledge to it and the bottom of her brace somehow got caught on it. I was laughing so hard, I barely could help her. I just pushed her off.

Another time she tripped up the stairs (she's a bit klutzy to start with), she tells me "I fell up the stairs" -- I look at her like she's just being a goofball and say "Well GET UP" and with the reply of "I can't, I'm stuck". She has gotten up before with it on but for some odd reason the way she was that time, she couldn't bend to get back up.

We still get a chuckle out of those.

The rest are just ones I've heard from her at school. She was sort of mean as she liked to play mind games with the kids at school. They were convinced she had abs of steel or something when she first got it. She was in the play and one day had the brace off because she was going to gymnastics straight afterward. She's ticklish, they like to poke her to make her laugh. The next day she was wearing the brace, they went to poke her and BAM hit the brace. She would just leave them hanging when they would guess as to what it was and just answer "maybe" with a wink and wouldn't say anything else. LOL!!!! Just the way she would describe it, I was rolling as I could so seeing her do that.
                          Becky
                          Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
                          Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

i thought this was kinda funny. a few days ago i had a sleepover with my friends and i wore my brace. at like 7 am, i had to go to the bathroom. the velcro straps are really loud, so i didnt want to rip them apart all the sudden and give my friends a heart attack, cuz they were still asleep. i slowly started to rip it open, and it still made a pretty loud noise. one of my friends woke up and yelled, "just rip it off already!!!" all of my friends woke up and were like "wuts going on??" and we were like "ummm....nothing!!" idk i just thought it was kinda funny.

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

xD
                              thats how i always felt in the bathroom at work and at school. Because theres people in there. I start off trying to be quiet...but it's like a bandaid..its just better to rip it off at once. xD
                              Danielle
                              14 Freshwoman

Comment

Working...
                              X