What is revision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jess,

Hopefully rohrer will clarify what she meant. Her signature indicates her lumbar curve ends at L2 which is my I found her comment about L5 confusing.

It's definitely true that we scoli's who also have garden variety problems (stenosis, DDD, etc) have a harder time getting them fixed.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, guys. I haven't been able to get on the computer all day.
      What Jess said is correct.
      I have DDD at L5/S1, not scoliosis at that level.
      A fusion is contraindicated in levels below the scoliosis per my doctors here. They say it will cause the scoliosis to progress more rapidly. The same goes for intrathecal devices being contraindicated, but for a different reason. The intrathecal device could stop working if the spine is not completely stable due to the fact that the tubing may shift or get pinched off. An intrathecal device for delivering pain and muscle relaxant medications is often an alternative to short fusion surgery. So either way, unless the doctors are willing to bend the rules, there are no real treatments for my lower level DDD except steroid shots, oral meds and PT.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Honestly, since my scoliosis is now extended into the lumbar, that would make me a little more wary of the low fusion. My one doctor, who moved away, did offer disc replacement with an artificial disc. Since my DDD is still classified as "mild", I respectfully declined.

As it turns out, it seems as though at least some of my very low back pain (below the L5/S1 level) is coming from my left SI joint.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        Getting older really bites!

That YouTube video totally reminded me of this movie: A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures
        Have fun!
        Rohrer: Watch who you're calling "older"! You're just about the same age as me, I think. And I KNOW I'm not getting older yet! ;-)

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          Rohrer: Watch who you're calling "older"! You're just about the same age as me, I think. And I KNOW I'm not getting older yet! ;-)

Evelyn
          So true! Just my kids and grandkid are getting older, not me. Mathematically speaking, they are catching up to me! LOL
          It's just that sometimes I feel like I'm 80. Heck, I have an 82 year old friend that I think is doing better than me on some days. That's very sad, indeed.
          Yes, we are close to the same age. I'm 44.=) My brain still feels like I'm 16, though!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
          X