X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladare progress report - Lisa's home

Monday, July 07, 2008
    Day 5

Lisa finally got home Monday morning around 10:00 am. We were hoping to have her home on Sunday, but that day was a bit difficult for her. The Doctors said her blood pressure was low and strongly recommended she receive a unit of whole blood. Lisa was also feeling very weak and got dizzy easily. After the blood, the color returned to her face and her energy returned. Of course, once she got the okay to head home, she was even happier. Once home, she got a very pleasant surprise to find the back bedroom was redecorated by Bart and Linda Burquest, friends from the Pearl Church. You should see it…there are lovely curtains on the windows, a new ceiling light, a very creative lighted willow branch hanging from the ceiling, and a very well done floor trim. And that’s just naming a few of the personal touches they did. Thank you Bart & Linda, Lisa loved it.

Today Lisa is resting peacefully in the comfort of her own home. She’s been up and about taking care of a few things, but sleeping mostly. I think this will be the last update you will receive from me; the next one will probably come directly from Lisa. Thank you all for your wonderful support, encouragement, and prayers. Please feel free to call or write. If she’s sleeping, I’ll just ask you to call back a little later.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Thinking of you!

Lisa-- I was just wondering how your first night at home went... I know, even being in your own comfy surroundings, it probably still left a lot to be desired. It's just so hard to sleep and be comfortable when there is no good position and you are experiencing some pain! But it still may have seemed nice in comparison to being in the hospital.

Each day will bring some progress... and soon you'll be looking back at these early days as necessary but no fun, and hopefully you will remember how little you could do. It's actually good to remember that, because it can inspire you if you think your progress is slow... Then you can say, "but look how far I've come!"

Rest up, sleep, do your walking, keep up with your meds, and try to eat healthily. I think those are the basics for now. Enjoy your pleasant new surroundings in that back bedroom. It sounds lovely! We're thinking of you and know that soon you'll be feeling better and better. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Mike and Lisa
      Glad to hear you are home - what a lovely surprise for you to come home to. What great friends you have. Just wanted to wish you well and say that I have been thinking of you - even though I am so far away and wondering how you've been getting on. Take care Lisa and get lots of rest. Ditto everything Suzie says really! Louisse x
      Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Happy homecoming, Lisa. Rest well and enjoy your family, friends, and updated room =)
        Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
        Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
        Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
        www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
        X