Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

Heyy I've been wearing my brace 18 hours a day but my doctor said my brace isn't working and i'm waearing it as tight as i can tolerate it. does this hapen to anyone else? if so what can i do. right now if my curve gets worse its gonna b close to surgety and im a 12 year old and i don't really want that 2 happen. can anybody help me or give me some tips?
    thanks!!!!
    Jodi
    Jodi Lynn
    Milwaukee Brace from age 11-13
    Surgery June 30th (age 14)
    Now 16 and as happy as ever
    *Brace Yourself*

Braces aren't meant to stop the scoliosis from happening. They can slow the pace of curve progression or hold it steady. Some can wear the brace and never need surgery, while others wear it to slow progression to hold off surgery just a little longer to let their bodies grow more.
    It's hard to understand what is all going on when you are young, it's good to ask questions of your parents a day or two after your visits to make sure you understood what was said.
    You gave your curves in and out of the brace, but the real way to see if it's working is before you go in for a visit take off the brace the night before, then get the x-rays done. Your spine has relaxed and will give a more accurate reading of how the progression is coming along.
    Don't be scared, live life to it's fullest, and if surgery is an eventual need for you, there are many people here for support.
    Emily

Comment

Hi-

I would find out why your doctor thinks your brace is not working. Is your curve progressing? Is it stabilized? Many doctors consider stabilization the first step in brace success, so if time has passed and you have not progressed, especially if you are still growing, than I would say you are having success.

I would also consider the Rigo Cheneau Brace. Is addressed the issue of rotation more than the Boston brace. The Schroth exercises that accompany it help with breathing and lung expansion, and my daughter has had no muscle loss in the brace. In fact, she is stronger than ever due to the exercises.

Finally, it is easy to freak out about surgery when many doctor's use 40 or degrees as the cut off. But, there are options out there. My daughter's curves are 68T/45L, and although many doctors think we are crazy for trying alternatives, I do not want her to have surgery until we have tried everything. Currently she is in a Rigo Cheneau Brace (it has only been 3 months), and practicing the Schroth method of exercise. Some will say she it is too late for her to brace, but since she has been braced and doing the exercise, she looks a million times better. We will get an x-ray soon to see actual curve stabilization/reduction. I see that you are in Wisconsin. There are 2 clinics there that practice Schroth and have a wealth of information. One is in Steven's Point-Scoliosis Rehab Inc. and the other is in Milwaukee (I think). Look them up on line. My daughter has been to Scoliosis Rehab Inc. 3 times now. They are wonderful, and will help to take the fear out of scoliosis.

Good Luck-and don't hesitate to switch doctors if the one that you have has no answers.

bas2101

Comment

The doctor i have right now is the best scoli doctor in Wisconsin. like i do take my brace off the night b-4 x-rays and yea i think its not helping because its somewhat getting worse but its hard 2 explain! so like yea\
        Jodi Lynn
        Milwaukee Brace from age 11-13
        Surgery June 30th (age 14)
        Now 16 and as happy as ever
        *Brace Yourself*

Comment

Hey Jodi-

I'm so sorry your curve is progressing. That sucks big time, and I know your doctor told you to wear it 18 hours...but maybe you could try wearing it an hour or two more per day? It may or may not help, but it's worth a shot. Best of luck, I'm on the verge of getting a Milwaukee. Scoli sucks....
          Danielle
          14 Freshwoman
          December 1st got no head the boston brace
          Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
          In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
          In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
          We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Working...
          X