Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishing's Recovery

Hi Folks;

I'm doing very well after the surgery. I'm still in the ICU but expect to go to another room tonight. Had some complications, but I was a high risk patient. From what I can tell, I'm very happy with the outcome so far.

My husband is typing this for me at the moment. I'll talk to you more later.

Congratulations!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Please keep us updated on your progress. YEAHHHH you're on the other side! Take care and listen to the doctors and take your meds!! Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Yay, Rita!

It's sure great to hear from you-- husbands can sure be helpful! I'm so glad you posted! Sending lots of gentle hugs and well wishes for a smooth recovery. You've been in my thoughts and prayers. Sparklegirl/Val says "hi" and has been praying for you too.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good for you, I'm so pleased to hear that you're doing well. Feel better soon!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

You made it! The worse part is over. Now just start on the recovering along with the prescribed physical therapy, and pretty soon you'll be on happy street. When you feel better, write a long post and let us know what you went through.
          Diane in Dallas
          Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
          Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
          Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
          Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
          Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
          Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
          Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Home One Week Now

Well, I'm home one week now and getting a little stronger each day. I went for a revision of previous spinal fusion on June 16th for a thoracic curve of about 97 degrees and lumbar of about 70 degrees. I also have severe restrictive lung disease due to my scoliosis. I am now 64 y.o. and had spinal fusions at age 17 (12 vertebrae but no instrumentation), 7 rib thoracoplasty at age 39 and an abandoned attempt at revision and instrumentation at that same surgery, and also a further 3 rib thoracoplasty at age 42 for further correction of severe rib deformity. I recognized that I was a high risk patient and had been turned down previously due to compromised pulmonary status. Dr. Lenke in St. Louis agreed to do a revision of T1-L4 with a VCR (vertetral column resection) as the straightening procedure for the severe thoracic curve.
            As with most of my surgeries, I wound up with a compromise between having the procedure that was originally planned and the altered course of action that could be safely accomplished. I presented Dr. Lenke with some challenges in surgery. I am relating this as best as I can remember with my foggy brain and will have more definitive answers later. During surgery on June 16th, I developed very labile blood pressure that was difficult to control which swung from highs to lows ( I have hypertension usually controlled on medication.) I had extensive bleeding. I apparently lost some perfusion to my spinal cord and had some loss of the neuro data. Apparently, this course of events made further surgery unsafe at that time and the wound was closed. I went to ICU for 2-3 days and then to the ortho floor. A second attempt was made a week later on June 23rd. Some similar problems occurred again. The VCR attempt at straightening the thoracic curve was abandoned due to risk. Dr. Lenke then repaired my lumbar spine which was badly curved and had many degenerative changed. He straightened it considerably. This allowed more room in the lumbar area for my diaphragm and organs as my diaphragm was pushing up against my lungs and exacerbating my breathing problems. Apparently, I had another small curve above the main thoracic curve which was straightened and my whole spine was supported by steel rods to prevent further progression as I aged. While I do not know the final correction numbers at this time, Dr. Lenke did some resculpting of my back so that it now looks a lot straighter. I still have unevenness in my neck and shoulder area due to the high curve. Some magic was done with my right shoulder blade as it is a lot flatter and no longer sticks out angrily like it did for the last 50 years. He was able to do this although no correction was made to the main thoracic curve. I spent another 2 days in ICU and 5 days on the ortho floor. I was then discharged to the Rehab. Institute of St. Louis for 10 days before flying home to Los Angeles.
            I was very pleased with the medical decision making and with the changes made in my best interest and safety. I was very pleased with the nursing care in the ICU unit. I lost all track of time and 2 minutes seemed like an hour. Due to this, I was pretty demanding with my call light (so my hubby tells me). I also have a shorter left leg and smaller left foot which is a size and a half smaller. As an adolescent, I used to wear a shoe lift until I got too proud. My lumbar spine curved, I believe, to compensate both for the large thoracic curve and the shorter leg and the leg was not noticable after a while. Now with my corrected lumbar curve, the left leg is again noticably shorter and I now wear a 3/4 inch lift on my left shoe. This is something I prefer to do rather than having a messed up lumbar spine.
            Again, although I did not wind up with the correction that I originally hoped for, I am pleased with the results. I feel that everything was done that could be done safely. Every correction I have obtained in my deformity over the years has been greatly appreciated. I know that I presented the surgeon with some major challenges.
            I am still somewhat stiff, tire easily and rest alot but feel I am on the mend. I wish to thank everyone for their support. I will add pictures when I get them and also learn how to do the signature part of the posting.

Comment

Thanks!

Rita-- it is SO GOOD to hear from you! It sounds like you had quite a time of it, but that all in all, your surgery went well. I am so glad that you are on the mend and feeling fairly good. It just takes time! And for some us, even more time! It must feel good to be home!

Keep us posted with how you're doing. I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics when you get that figured out. Gentle hugs, Susie
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Rita, sounds like you're doing wonderful. I'm most impressed with your doctor Lenke. He sounds like he'll do most anything to get some good results. Please take care of yourself and when you're able, post pictures as you said. After all these years, it sounds like some really good progress was made.
                Diane in Dallas
                Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Dear Rita,

You are in my thoughts as I recover from my own surgery. Sending you good wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. God bless you.

Chris

Comment

Dear Rita,

You are in my thoughts also and hope you feel better with each passing day. It isn't easy but you will prevail. Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                    X