Censorship attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PNUTTRO
    But isn't this a risk anyone takes in a capitalistic society?

I can call any plumber in the city and he will be able to give me great references. It still doesn't guarantee that he won't screw up my project.

People who try Schroth or any other treatment are looking for an alternative, why not let them try. Its their money, their life, and not detrimental (that I can see) in any way.

One word, PC - LOL ... and I know you'll take this as intended ...

Copes.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
      Is it wrong to have laws to prevent conniving quackery to protect people? Scoliosis is rarely an emergency so this paradigm doesn't apply exactly but delay can mean a poorer result when these folks do start making sense.
      Great point, Sharon.

That is EXACTLY the problem when folks try some of these methods in question - the "delay" can in fact mean a poorer result and/or fewer choices once the curve has progressed past a certain point. THAT is the danger - not whether or not someone wishes to spend their money on a particular method of treatment.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Delay?!

As a person who chose surgery, all I wanted was to delay!

There a people on this forum who are in their 50s and 60s who chose to avoid the surgery until it was absolutely necessary. Ask them if they think that they got poor results after waiting so long.

It isn't quackery if there is a real benefit to the treatment. I think that Shroth has its merits. If people want to try it, why not?

Comment

Politics--since you went there.

Originally posted by Pooka1
          Do you think there is a role in government to protect gullible, desperate people from their own ignorance?
          In a word--no.

Comment

Pnuttro,

I think you took my post the wrong way. Sharon and I are both parents of scoli patients, and perhaps speaking from that perspective. What I meant was with regard to kids and adolescents - waiting in some instances (and I've SEEN it happen numerous times) can mean a lot of progression.

I don't want to get into specifics but I've had parents tell me (with regard to VBS) that they wish they hadn't missed out on the "window" for that procedure by spending time on other methods that didn't work.

Now, there's no guarantee how those cases would have turned out, even with VBS, but I think it is accurate to say that delay CAN mean a poorer result with regard to adolescents.

In adults, then yes why not try all methods before opting for surgery - I completely agree.

I just think the two sets of instances are VERY different. Perhaps a child can AVOID fusion by opting for bracing for VBS (just examples), rather than trying another method first and then progressing past the point where either would benefit them.

As we all know, every case of scoliosis is different.

Best regards,
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

In a word--no.
              Wow.

You know William F. Buckley was once asked if there were any government programs he agreed with. He thought for a while and came up with one... rural electrification.

Are you in that mold?
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Pnuttro,

Do you think it should be illegal to practice medicine without a license and appropriate training?

If not, how is that consistent with your position? Let the buyer beware should cover it, right?

I think some of the claims on the Schroth site amount having had practiced medicine though what they do is not medicine. So it's a misrepresentation at best it seems.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf
                  Sharon and I are both parents of scoli patients, and perhaps speaking from that perspective. What I meant was with regard to kids and adolescents - waiting in some instances (and I've SEEN it happen numerous times) can mean a lot of progression.

Maria and Sharon.
                  You are right. I am coming at this from the perspective of an adult who is done growing.

I empathize with your situation of having to make very hard decisions regarding the health and well being of your children. Based on my own experience with my daughter, all I can say is that patience is the key. We miss windows of opportunity because of incomplete or bad advice from a physician. We have regrets, wish we could go back. The best you can do is the best you can do. No one should apologize for that. When the outcome is bad or painful, we blame ourselves or the doctors or the Clear Institute. But basically, it comes down to circumstance. Where a person lives might determine that path that they take. A financial decision, a pain decision, a genetic defect. . . It sucks!

Having said that, and realizing that every individual is has a unique problem, scoliosis is rarely treated urgently. Mostly, we wait and watch. Its the toughest thing in the world to endure--especially when its your baby. At least we have choices.

Sharon, if you want to continue the political debate, you can send a PM.

Comment

We miss windows of opportunity because of incomplete or bad advice from a physician. We have regrets, wish we could go back. The best you can do is the best you can do. No one should apologize for that.
                    So true. I remember when I first noticed something was "off" with David's back, our pediatrician brushed it off. I guess she wasn't accustomed to seeing scoliosis in such a young child. Finally, I pushed her to send him for an x-ray - but I beat myself up for a long time afterwards thinking that had I only pushed "harder", we would have caught it sooner.

So thanks for what you posted.

As my friend Carmell likes to say "guilt is a useless emotion".
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X