Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drs. Bridwell and Lenke

Hi everyone,

I posted earlier that I've been having a lot of pain in my mid-back shoulder blade region(since even before the rods were put in) and can feel the rods poking out at the top and bottom. I've had the rods in since 16 and I'm now 26. I'm looking for the best of the best in revisionists since I just don't have my life right now, don't know how I'll ever be able to do anything without pain let alone ever have children.

I called Dr. Bridwell and Dr. Lenke's office. I can get into Bridwell fairly fast but Lenke will be a couple months. I tried to find a lot of posts on Bridwell but there don't seem to be as many as Lenke. Should I wait to get into Lenke??

Thanks.
    Scolimich in Michigan

Hey scolimich! Looks like you are being very pro-active. Theresa just posted down in the physicians area this morning with links to read about both Drs. Bridwell and Lenke, so here is her post: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...65&postcount=2
    I think you'll find both are excellent. Don't rule out Dr. Bridwell just because he's not cited in the forum as much. I think that many excellent, experienced surgeons aren't talked about here because not very many of their patients frequent the forum (for whatever reason.)

I would go ahead and see Dr. Bridwell if I were you-- and you can make an appt. with Dr. Lenke and then decide whether you want to really see him too, after you see Dr. B. That is probably what I would do.

Best wishes in getting the pain and other problems resolved. Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

thanks

Thank you Susie Bee. I appreciate your response and the link.

Comment

Both have excellent reputations. I wouldn't hesitate to see Dr. Bridwell if i could get a quick appointment with him.

Comment

If you go to the Flatback Forum you will find alot about Dr. Bridwell and other excellent doctors.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Dr Bridwell

To Scolimich,

I had surgery with Dr Bridwell in December '07. I think he is wonderful. He is a very no nonsense person and probably a bit conservative - but that is fine with me. I get the feeling he does not believe in taking added risks or adding painful procedures just to get a more cosmetic result.

I got a 50% correction, with the main objective of stabilizing my spine. I had a few rough weeks but all in all, I believe a fairly easy recovery. Was off prescription pain meds at 4 weeks. I never have real pain, just some stiffness/soreness at times. Back to work at 10 weeks. Just got back from 2 weeks in England. Had my 6 month check up and all is well.

I would not hesitate to recommend Dr Bridwell. Good luck.
            Jan Lotherington,
            56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
            A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
            at age 55
            Dr Bridwell

Comment

Originally posted by JanL
              ... I get the feeling he does not believe in taking added risks or adding painful procedures just to get a more cosmetic result. ...
              If I EVER need a revision (and I had the same attitude when I chose my initial surgeon), I want one who doesn't over correct ...

I've seen far too many on here (older than me) who suffered for a single digit number correction (usually one that became double digit), and it's so pointless.

I am *perfectly* happy with my somewhere near 20° correction from ±53°. I regained my life by 2 weeks ... and that's really the point, IMHO ...

Just wanted to note I, also, have heard wonderful things about both Bridwell and Lenke, and have never read anything to indicate either would be a poor choice. Best of luck to you ... I hope you get in to see someone soon! Hang in there.

Regards,
              Pam
              Last edited by txmarinemom; 06-27-2008, 08:40 AM. Reason: additional comments ...
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

I agree with Pam, although I am speaking from a different perspective. As a parent of someone with scoli, if it were my child having surgery, I definitely would want a surgeon who did NOT believe in "taking added risks or adding painful procedures" just to get a slightly better cosmetic result or a slightly lower number. It's just not worth it.

I also agree that both doctors, Lenke and Bridwell, have excellent reputations. I don't know any of their patients personally, but in the past 7 or 8 years that I have been in the "scoliosis world", both their names have come up and nothing has ever been negative that I can recall. I wouldn't hesitate to see Bridwell if he can fit you in sooner.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                X