Why don't have a brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't have a brace?

I have a 50 degree lumbar curve with a pelvic tilt, the curve is because two of my vertebrae are deformed, and the curve is between vertebra L1 and L4.
    My doctor told me bracing will not help, why!? I am scared my doc might be wrong.
    Last edited by eljamo17; 06-24-2008, 12:18 AM. Reason: typo

A brace will not help you because your spine is not formed correctly in that spot. An external brace can not make your spine straight. It can't correct what nature didn't form right in the first place. Your bone structure makes your spine curve. It is not a typical idiopathic curve like the majority of teens on this list.

What you need to be discussing with your ortho is what the future holds for your spine. Has your curve remained stable for a long time? Is your body skeletally mature? How much growth do you have remaining? Is there a way to stabilize the pelvis? If surgery is recommended, when? what age? what kind of surgery? how much surgery? etc.

Good luck. Ask lots of questions. You'll do fine.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

ok

okydoky thanks, those are the exact questions I am asking, and your explanation is what i thought.
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X