Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal?

Hi Everyone :-)

Is it "normal" to not be able to lift anything after having scoli fusion....I mean, I can lift but I'm in pain while I'm doing it or for sure afterward. Lifting a child, lifting groceries, etc. are the things I'm referring to. I'd Never be able to mow the grass or shovel snow of course! It's been so long since my surgery (10 years) that I've just gotten used to doing these things in pain. Somewhere I have in my head that my doctor said I'd never be able to lift more than 10 pounds...could that be right? Or maybe I just came up with that on my own since I've always had pain lifting anything.

thanks again all!
    scolimich

It might be helpful to see a Physical Therapist to make sure that you are using good body mechanics for lifting. Sometimes making small adjustments in how you are doing thing can make a big difference.

Good luck,

Nora
    T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

I've been to physical therapy more times than I can remember to try to cure my pain in this upper back region....it only causes more pain unfortunately. Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Michelle,

My weight limit has been ten lbs for the last five years. If I have something in my arms out in front of me, even if it weighs less than ten lbs, it might as well be 50 lbs. I have a new great-granddaughter and can't even pick her up, but she can sit in my lap, so there's always good somewhere in the bad.
        Diane in Dallas
        Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
        Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
        Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
        Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

I can't do it either... I hate going grocery shopping for that reason. A gallon of milk can just do me in.... Plus, i have steps to climb when i get back home and no railing to hold onto.... so carrying something up them is mighty hard. If there is no one home to unload the bags for me, i stick to really light stuff and only get a small carton of milk. This surgery surely changes many things in your life, doesn't it... not just your back.

Comment

more info JoAnn5

Hi JoAnn5,

Could you explain a little more about your situation, please? Have you had more than one surgery, the rods removed??

Thanks.
            Scolimich

Comment

Yes, i had original surgery in Oct. 05... it was done in 3 separate surgeries, each 3 days apart... fused from T4 to S1. Then i started having some nerve problems and dr. decided i 'had a screw loose'....lol... family says they could have told him THAT a long time ago..lol. Anyway, he felt that the fusion was solid enough and in Sept. 07 i had surgery to remove all the hardware. It's time for me to make an appointment to see him again for the follow-up... but i just don't want to do it yet because i'm travelling to England for the month of July. I don't want any possibly disconcerting health news hanging over my head while i'm on holiday.

All is not as well as i'd hoped it would be after fusion and revision. There is still a good deal of pain. I've been thru PT repeatedly. However there are good times, too. I haven't had to take a pain pill for about 3 weeks now. Muscle relaxers usually take care of it, if i have a stubborn ache that rest and heating pad don't help.

I just know that i'm asking for trouble by carrying anything heavy or overdoing the vacuuming. My grandchildren have learned to climb into my lap so i don't lift them much. The littlest one still has to be carried, but i don't bend over with her. They are just too sweet to resist a little cuddling though

Comment

Hi Michelle

This is my last reply then I have to close down and get ready for work. In that doctor's visit yesterday, I asked about the weight limit, and the PA said that by this point after surgery the doctor lets his Scoli patients lift between 15 and 20 lbs. and okay'd me to go to that. But I for sure will take that very slowly. As I mentioned before, lifting is not the problem. It's the carrying. JoAnn, I appreciate your position so very much. The PA also said yesterday that Dr. Viere would be okay with it if I took 2 hydrocodones per day for the rest of my life and actually, that's about what I've been taking. Very rarely, I have need for a 3rd. I simply cannot stand still more than a couple of minutes, five at the most. The prescribed cane helps.
                Diane in Dallas
                Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

scolimich,
                  I am glad you brought this up. It is really hard with groceries as I get exhausted when I have to buy the gatorade, soda bottles, Milk etc.(as Joanne says!)
                  The other day I stopped after exercise and picked up a few things without a cart and regretted it when I found I had 3 bags to drag to the car...one tends to forget but my inner voice said that was stupid as I huffed & puffed to the car...
                  I am almost 2 years post-op and tend to sometimes do more than I should, I suppose at this stage.
                  How old is the child that you are lifting?

Joanne: Have a great trip and I agree with you to handle your appmt after the trip. I am sorry you are still having some pain-
                  Lynne

fused T11-L5/Boachie/Hss Hospital
                  Aug 2006
                  Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 06-27-2008, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Hi lelc2002,

I do not have any children but when I lift a child who is even 20 pounds I get a lot of pain during or usually afterward.

Since my original surgery 10 years ago, I have not been able to lift much. I once(after my surgery) carried 5 pounds back from the grocery store (about a mile walk) and ended up on the couch for a week in pain. This just didn't seem right then at age 16 and still at 26. I'm in worse pain the more years that go by and I definitely cannot think about children when I can lift nothing....so I'm thinking of revision??? Such a huge decision since I don't know if it will help or make me worse off than I already am.

Scolimich

Comment

Quality of life

Hi Mich, I think it's time for you to talk seriously with a dr. and ask him directly about a revision. Go for a second (or third) opinion if you don't feel comfortable or reassured by what you find out. There is no need for the quality of your life to deteriorate the way it sounds like it has, especially if there is some remedy for it. It would be better to have something done while you are young and can recover more easily than to wait until you are in your 50s the way i did. That's just my opinion, of course... and i'm no expert.

I have 3 grandchildren... one girl 9 months old (about 18 lbs i think), one 2 yrs old (he's a bigggggg stout boy at almost 40 lbs), and another girl almost 3 yrs old.( she's more petite at around 30 lbs). The 2 & 3 yr olds 'help' me walk by holding my finger, and they know they have to climb themselves, that i can't lift them. The 3 yr old granddaughter was holding my finger with one hand and had my walking cane in her other hand.... she thought she was really helping me....lol.

Comment

I have been carefully lifting and carrying things for years. No, I do not believe your limitation is "normal".
                        1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

thanks

Thanks for your replies. I think you're right that I need to do something about it....

Comment

Originally posted by scolimich
                            Hi Everyone :-)

Is it "normal" to not be able to lift anything after having scoli fusion....I mean, I can lift but I'm in pain while I'm doing it or for sure afterward. Lifting a child, lifting groceries, etc. are the things I'm referring to. I'd Never be able to mow the grass or shovel snow of course! It's been so long since my surgery (10 years) that I've just gotten used to doing these things in pain. Somewhere I have in my head that my doctor said I'd never be able to lift more than 10 pounds...could that be right? Or maybe I just came up with that on my own since I've always had pain lifting anything.

thanks again all!
                            scolimich
                            I was told to not lift more than 50lb if I could avoid it, but even 15 years later lifting small amounts if painful. Even a relatively light object that just throws my center of gravity far forward becomes very painful very quickly.

I just deal with the pain, and then lay down or something after having to take part in that activity. Taking the garbage out, bringing water softener inside and pouring it, lifting kids, carrying pet food bags etc. It all hurts, but it's temporarily bad while carrying and then for some time afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                            X