Milwaukee brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner....we were on vacation. From reading your posts, you sound like you've done your research and I know you understand that wearing a Milwaukee is no walk in the park. You did surprise me though, by wanting to get your wife a Milwaukee brace...most people run from them!

When Jamie was diagnosed, the worst thing we could imagine was her needing a Milwaukee brace and of course that's what the doctor prescribed.
    We agreed to try the brace because with Kyphosis and Scoliosis that went high up in the thoracic area, it was the best option for her. I am sorry to say she just couldn't wear it. She was 12 y.o. and in 7th grade. I don't blame her. At that age I wouldn't have been strong enough to wear it in public either.

Good luck with your wife. Keep us posted.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Mary Lou

Thanks for the response and I hope you had a nice vacation.

As for the Milwaukee brace it is not a matter of wanting her to wear one but a matter of not wanting her to have to undergoe surgery or end up looking like her grandparents or parents. You are right though I have done quite a bit of research and many do say that the Milwaukee brac i the best brace for high thoracic curves. Even the orthotist we saw confirmed this in terms of correction however, as he said you have to look at all the factors and brace wear compliance is a major factor with the milwaukee. A less efective brace may be more effective in the end if the patient will wear it vs a more effective brace that is not worn. Its really difficult to way all the options but that is what I am trying to do.

We are also looking into the cheneau brace as well. Our issue is that she can not wear either brace at her work so her time in the brace may be limited. because of this the brace neds to be very effective.

Mike

Comment

Compliance another good topic

Mike, i was in a Cheneau brace at first and although it help stabilize my lumbar curve it had no efect on the Thoracic curve(s). I too tried to dodge wearing anything at work, thats was why I tried the Cheneau. But like I said the Migrains and other problems went away. I will be hoping and praying that she will not need a CTLSO or the Milwaukee. Compliance is so hard and I cannot imagine how a younger child could have the power. Some do, and I am i awe by it. A brace is always most affective when you wear it the most. I only had the Cheneu because it was more comfortable and hidden. But I had to let all that go.

Well, good luck to you and your wife. I will be praying for ya. =)

Kevin
        Kevin
        AIS and Traumatic Scoliosis
        Degrees always differ (LOL)
        THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X