July, August, September and October surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
    I emailed Joe this morning before I left for work (sounds strange, going to work!) and asked why the surgery calendar was that way. When i got home, he had responded to my email and said they hadn't realized it was doing that (we don't use it that often) and it had probably changed when they upgraded.
    Sorry to point this out AGAIN, but the reason I started the text calendar you're still maintaining was the old one was broken. I had to state I was building my OWN calendar to get them to fix the native one HERE.

They did, and yet you still felt some compelling urge to maintain the text calendar. Susie, as a database developer, I've told you dual sources NEVER sync.

And how interesting Joe responds to you. I've emailed him 4-5 times over the last month regarding his willingness to post a link to www.vertebralstapling.com if Betz approved it: Janet Cerrone approved it for Betz via email to Joe, and he still won't post the link - or even *agree* to post the link (despite what he emailed me). Joe has spoken quite liberally (and favorably .. including on YouTube) about Spinecor. Bias in treatment options here from the NSF President is quite unbecoming.

Parents need to know ALL the options.
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 08-18-2008, 02:26 AM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Nikki

I got a PM from Nikki (her friend was doing the typing) and she's home from the hospital. She thought her mom had emailed me. So, when I hear a little more about it, I'll probably start a thread up in the adolescent area. Anyway, she's home and was feeling pretty good last night when she sent the PM.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

First Update post the BIG DAY

Surgery was 8/4/08, T4 to the sacrum with Lawrence Lenke. Out of bed (and ICU) 8/5. On 8/6, physical therapist accused me of trying to out-run her. All that work in the gym and pool ("pre-hab") really paid off. Strong legs are a huge benie.

Released to an apartment that we rented in St. Louis on 8/10. When weekend release was first mentioned, it scared me. By Sunday (less than a week post-op), I informed folks it was time.

To get the apartment, we had to sign a minimum 30 day lease. I resented that my husband wanted to stay that long. Now, I am glad. Our daughter and a friend who acted like a loving daughter have each spent a week here and have now left. We are settling in to the every day is better than the last, but why isn't it better yet?

It wasn't all the smooth sailing that it, at first, appeared that it would be. When the central line went in the Friday before the surgery, we discovered that I am alergic to "silk tape." After I got out of the hospital, we recognized an allergy to *all* tape. Panic application of hydrocortizone and taking of Benadryl followed. Then, we deduced that Benadryl, instead of causing me to be sleepy, has the opposite effect. Substitute Ambien for Benadryl and be grateful that we seem to have tracked down all the tape and all places seem to be on the mend.

Today, two weeks and one day post surgery, I am walking without a walker for about has far as I could tolerate prior to surgery; I am sleeping more comfortably; and ... I am marveling at the miracles!

Every muscle in my torso is still complaining, but we'll get there.

I have many things that I want to share and will. However, typing is one of the things that the muscles don't much like.

To each and every one of you -- particularly Susie*Bee -- who helped pre-surgery, a huge thank you. To each of you considering the uncertainties, hang in there. Miracles require a bit of prep.
        Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
        Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
        by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

Cheryl,

Good for you, I am so happy that you are doing so well. You are an inspiration for me, as my date is quickly approaching.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yay, Cheryl!

I was soooo glad to hear you are doing so well. Yes, recovery's hard work-- but you are obviously doing great! Keep us posted on how you're doing. Big hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

news from Nikki

I got a really nice email from Nikki telling some about her time in the hospital. She said she's going to post a detailed account on the forum today, so I'll just let her do the posting on that. Great news, though!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Debbie, keep us posted. I'm still stiff and having trouble typing much, but will attempt to get more thoughts entered ... in time that they might help you. When is yours and with whom? (Yeh, lazy. I'll go see what I can spot on the calendar.)

Meanwhile, anything that you are doing to strengthen your legs will help you get going again without stressing the back! We called it pre-hab.
                Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
                Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by CherylPJ View Post
                  Debbie, keep us posted. I'm still stiff and having trouble typing much, but will attempt to get more thoughts entered ... in time that they might help you. When is yours and with whom? (Yeh, lazy. I'll go see what I can spot on the calendar.)

Meanwhile, anything that you are doing to strengthen your legs will help you get going again without stressing the back! We called it pre-hab.
                  I'm scheduled October 15th with Dr. Neuwirth. Yes I agree about the legs. I was just taking a lazy break on the total gym to check the computer.....BACK I go!!! I need to crack the whip on myself sometimes or I'll just be lazy.

I hope you continue to feel better & recover quickly.

Comment

Info for surgery

I just started a thread called "Surgery Window" because I felt that we did not have enough on the details of how to survive in the hospital and so forth. I hope that the information contained will be a blessing to those with up coming surgeries!

My very best wishes to those who are about to enter the magic three week period that I describe.

You can send mail to me directly at Cheryl at <change that to an @ sign, of course> JCC.com.

PS I walked about 1/3 mile, today. Today is day 22. No walker, just my husband's hand.
                    Cheryl

Comment

Hi Cheryl
                      thanks for your posts - I was pleased to hear how well you're getting on. My surgery is in......ummmm 11 days time aaaagh can't believe it's finally here. Just want to get on and get it done now - still having those doubting moments but this site has been invaluable to me so thanks for posting.

Can I ask what you did to strengthen your legs ? - I have been running a few times a week (about 3 miles) swimming once a week and a doing bit of exercise bike - so hope this stands me in good stead. I'm also not overweight and don't smoke.
                      Thanks again for the updates
                      All the best
                      Louisse
                      Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

update on Nikki....

I got an email from her a little bit ago, saying that she had developed a urinary tract infection from the catheter, plus she is having sleep problems. She woke up at 1 a.m. and wasn't able to fall back asleep all day. She says she is soooo tired, but can't fall asleep. So you might keep her in your thoughts and prayers...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

others to add?

I just added str8nnup (Reggie) to this-- has anyone else mentioned upcoming surgeries for these months recently? I've been trying but might have missed some. (PLEASE feel free to pm me if you see one that needs to be added...)

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Hi to everyone and a big thank you to those that have posted over the last few months that I have been on this site. The advice and shared experiences have been so helpful for me to read and have prepared me for my forthcoming op so much more than I could have imagined.
                            I go into hospital tomorrow afternoon ready for the op first thing in the morning of the 4th September.
                            After lots of family and friends wishing me well it has really bought it home to me that I am at last only a day or so away and I am feeling quite nervous, but also soooooo just want to get in there and get it done...(and start that recovery journey)
                            I hope you are recovering well Cheryl
                            and Debbei - I am thinking of you as your time gets every closer
                            Susie - hope work continues to be ok for you and I will try and get hubbie to post to let you know how it went
                            txmarinemum - you are my inspiration I love your posts and yes, I promise, I will do lots of walking...!
                            Ginger - I look forward to reading more of your blogs.
                            Thanks again to EVERYONE for posting

Louisse
                            x
                            Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Good luck Louisse!! I am looking forward to hearing how well you did!! I also appreciate all the info I get here so much. I can't imagine going into this blind, not knowing what to expect.

Comment

Good luck! I hope that everything goes well for you!

Remember to get 'before and after' photos and xrays for Susie's scrapbook.

Brad
                                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                                Still have 57 degree curve
                                2 Harrington rods
                                Luque method used
                                Dr David Bradford
                                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                                Preop xray (with brace on)
                                Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                                X