Un Screwed Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Un Screwed Again

Well I did it again. If you remember me I had a fusion from my Sacrum to T1 back in March 06. Around April 07 I pulled the screws out and broke the rods in 2 places down in the base (sacrum) and had to get over size screws in the base and the rods were spliced at both brakes. That sucked but after about 6 or 7 weeks all was well again. Guess what? It happened again. The big over sized ped screws in the Sacrum pulled loose and pulled one rod out of the next screw up and broke the rod on the other side. The spine surgeon was lost as to why this keeps happening. After a ton of x-rays and a mri it looks like he figured it out. Out of all the fusion that I have had done, they found 2 spots that were never fused. L1 and T12. The rods of course go over them but that is the only area that didn't get screws put in them to attach the rods. As a result they never were fused and there is a slight bit of movement between the two even though there are rods over them. Now the big problem starts. I have had 6 of the big base screws replaced 2 times now and they can't re use the holes now to put new ones (screws) in. I don't know what they have in mind to try next but this damn thing hurts. I am on some pretty heavy pain meds, morphine patches and 8 Percocet a day just keeps going. When they decide just what is going to be done, I will let you all know the out come. For now however "I am screwed" or at least un screwed (lol)
    Jess (Backtalk)
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Jess. Keep us posted on what your doctor plans to do. I hope you get some relief for your pain soon. You may need to consult with a very experienced revision surgeon, as it sounds like you have some difficult challenges...

I'll be thinking of you-- and praying that they will be able to correct the fusion failure and be able to work the new hardware in somehow. Take care. Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Lousy luck

Wow, that's a tough spot.
      I hope you can get something worked out so you don't have to keep revisiting this. Will they have to replace the hardware again, or can they add more instrumentation? Seems like a unique situation.

I know you'll keep us posted.

p

Comment

July 21st is surgery day. Here is the plan. They are going to remove all the hardware from T12 down. It will be replaced with new rods and double screws in each side down to the Ileum which will have some kind of new screws put in that will go all the way through and have some kind of hook so they can't work lose. Oh Boy. Then some kind of external patches that will be hooked to the rods and radio waves or electric something going to them to promote faster bone fusion.
        Sounds to me like I'm in for a world of hurt for a while. I will talk to the doctor more about this external thing hooked to the rods. Never seen this before, have you?
        This one has me a good deal worried but maybe it will stop going in once a year to replace pulled screws and broken rods. (I hope)
        15 1/2 Hours
        Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Wow Jess, I am so sorry you have to go throught all of this again. You must be so bummed out. Did they use BMP in your prior surgeries and did you use a spine stim after the surgery? Also do you have osteoporosis? This is enough to scare a lot of us, or at least me. I hope they can tell you why all of this has happened to you. I just started my PT and they are proceeding very cautiously. Keep us posted and I will put you on my prayer list if you would like. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally, thanks so much for the prayers. None of this is in my hands anymore. I have been able to turn it all over to the Lord.
            I have attached a picture of my hardware for those who are new enough that didn't see it. This is the 1st time before it all started comming apart.http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...DSCF1278-1.jpg
            15 1/2 Hours
            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Yes, Jess-- at least they have a solid plan for addressing your special challenges brought on by the failures-- and you have a date. So that part is looking good. I'm so sorry you have had all these problems. And yes, it sounds like you'll have a pretty rough go of it, but sometimes things can fool you. I'll be praying for you too.

Just saw you added your x-ray and post in-between the time I started my post and finished it...

That's a super long fusion/attempted fusion. You are a trooper-- and if you've put it in the Lord's hands, he'll be with you through it all. There's no better place to be. Keep us posted. Hugs, Susie
              Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM. Reason: add on...
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

First time I have heard of external instrumentation for a spinal fusion.
                You're breakin' all the rules.

I'll be thinking of you.
                p

Comment

Ouch, it hurts just to read your story, Jess. I sincerely hope they get it right this time. Best wishes for a successful final revision and freedom from pain.

Comment

Working...
                  X