4 months post-op visit today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 months post-op visit today ...

All is well, bone fusion looks good (based on the ever-whitening areas between the rods, and softening of the hardware angles) ...

... and ALL restrictions are lifted .

I'm flying to Boston next week then taking a motorcycle trip to upstate NY (a bike rally) ... I'll be (gasp!) sleeping on an air mattress for 2 nights whining for my memory foam (note to self ... bring pain meds!).

Speaking of notes, I got the "flyer's note" from Hanson today attesting I have hardware. Like TSA is going to buy that? I have this horrid, irrational fear of getting delayed like Sherie and Sheena when they went for her post-op with Lenke.

(Travelocity doesn't care WHY you missed your flight ...)

With the database errors here today I'm unable to post the updated x-rays timeline in my sig, but here it is ...

Please don't be the 10th person today to ask me why my hips look more straight, yet the lumbar looks more pronounced ... no clue! (and, really, no concern )

I've been stretching the lumbar area pretty heavily these last few days and *maybe* that left side is tight? It *feels* tight.

Regarding the stretching, I discovered an odd (well, not really when you think about it) thing: When I lay on my back and bring my left knee to my chin, quad resting on chest, left leg bent, right leg flat, then sloooowly straighten my leg out straight (behind my head), I get a nice stretch on the left side.

When I do the same with my right leg, guess where it stretches? The LEFT side also. In fact, it stretches the left side all the way from the lumbar to my trap. I've finally found something to stretch that area along the top of the left shoulder blade that burns when it's fatigued. Never in my life would I have imagined I'd find a revelation of this sort so ... *~spectacular~* ...

Assumedly, this is all because the left side was the short side. Whatever works! .

Regards to all,
    Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 06-11-2008, 03:23 AM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Woohoo for Pam! Great news from the doc. Thanks for sharing the pics. Xrays do look fabulous. Have TONS of fun on your road trip. Yes, pain meds will be a good idea. Think of us while you're out having fun! Glad all is well. Many well wishes for all our recovering patients.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Pam,

Every time I fly I let the screener know before I walk through that I have a back full of metal. They usually say, "Okay, let's see what happens." I then walk through without it setting off and go my merry way. I did set it off a couple of times right after my first surgery when it was all new. If I remember right I think you are about 4 months along????? That's how far along I was when I set if off but the warning level was higher at that time so I don't know if it was set to be more sensitive. If you do set it off, they scanned me with the hand held wand and when they went along my back it went off the whole length of my back. You could also just print out one of your x-rays on your printer and have that in your purse with you. But you'll be fine!!!

Now the air mattress thing..........that's another whole adventure I wouldn't want to try! I have a hard enough time with the different mattresses in the motels!!!!! Good luck on your trip!!!
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Pam---

Wow your like the poster child for a good spinal fusion. If anyone your the one that would be able to convince me IF I ever need it, you did remarkably well and your xrays look REALLY good. Continue to get better and good luck on your trip.
        Danielle
        14 Freshwoman
        December 1st got no head the boston brace
        Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
        In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
        In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
        We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Originally posted by ElleBelleCurvz
          (sig) 14 Yr Old Freshwoman
          I love it, Danielle. Your time in "adult swim" is not only welcomed, but I heard a rumor it's suspected as a leading cause of spontaneous smiles .

Originally posted by Theresa
          You could also just print out one of your x-rays on your printer and have that in your purse with you. But you'll be fine!!!

Now the air mattress thing..........that's another whole adventure I wouldn't want to try! I have a hard enough time with the different mattresses in the motels!!!!!
          GIRL. I slept one night in a motel at 10 wks post op, and I thought I was going to go cry - LOL! I've always hated firm beds, and unless you're staying somewhere like the W, you're almost guaranteed to get a mattress like a *slab*. Funniest part is the damn air mattress sprung several leaks last year at this same rally. I have stressed to the "mattress responsible party" just how IMPORTANT it is that NOT happen again. I don't care if I WAS the lighter person and not getting squished as the air went out overnight: Even being the squisher vs. squishee would be torture right now. (I'm actually bringing a backup air mattress in my luggage - LMAO! Really.)

And I'm still laughing at your "just print out one of your x-rays" ... I was already thinking of preparing a binder - and maybe my surgical photos - LOL!

Originally posted by Carmell
          Woohoo for Pam! Great news from the doc. Thanks for sharing the pics. Xrays do look fabulous. Have TONS of fun on your road trip
          Carmell ... you're just a sweetheart - one of the most encouraging people I know. You, too, leave smiles in your wake.

For everyone else reading my ramblings, but especially the recent post-ops - some having more serious issues - please, please, please take this thread in the vein intended; someday, sooner than you think, life as you know it will again be reality as you remembered - and better. Hang in there, ladies. Sharshe, Becky, Shell - keep moving forward, and don't dwell on the days you simply stand still. ChiMama, Debbei, Chris WBS ... chin up ... focus on the other side. You're almost there!

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,

I'm so happy that your appointment went so well and that all of your restrictions are lifted! Your x-rays look great too! You are truly an inspiration. I was really upset last night feeling like I would be stuck like this forever but your post reminded me that life will be back to normal soon.

Shell
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

That's great news!

Apparently the rhBMP(?) works as advertised.

Have a great trip.

Best regards,
              sharon
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hey Pam,

Again, that is GREAT news!!! Thanks for sharing and I'm sure it will be encouraging to those facing surgery in the future.

I didn't realize your trip was right around the corner - have a BLAST!!!!

I will call ahead and warn the folks in Boston that you are coming - LOL!!!!

Again, I could NOT be happier for you!!!
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Pam,

Your response reminded me of our trip back from Dr LaGrone's last summer! I had just been released from the hospital so I was 8 days post-op when we took off for the trip back home by van. We had a air mattress on the floor of the van, it was all fine and dandy, I was doped up watching animated movies on the DVD (didn't have to do any thinking with them!!!) and I finally noticed the air was slowly leaking out! By time we got to Dallas (4 and a half hours later) I was getting very uncomfortable! I go to lay down in the hotel and the bed was as hard as a rock. I couldn't get comfy and was crying so my hubby went to get an egg crate to put on the mattress. Helped a whole lot. Then the next morning, I couldn't get comfortable enough laying down on the back seat (remember the air mattress had a leak!!) we took that egg crate and folded it into thirds on the floor and that is what I laid on coming the rest of the way back to Houston. Luckily we live north of the city in the Lake Houston area so the trip was only 4 hours. I was never so happy to be home!!!! You know.......maybe you should get the camping pads that my son and husband have from REI. They roll up real tight and they have different degrees of thickness........just a thought. Go to REI.com and put your mouse on the Camping and Hiking Tab, then click on Sleeping pads.

Have a safe trip!!!
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                    All is well, bone fusion looks good (based on the ever-whitening areas between the rods, and softening of the hardware angles) ...
                    Pam,

Congratulations on your good news, the Xray looks great. Can you explain how 'softening of the hardware angles' means that the fusion looks good? I see the white areas, but don't understand the hardware mention.

Have a good trip.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                      I love it, Danielle. Your time in "adult swim" is not only welcomed, but I heard a rumor it's suspected as a leading cause of spontaneous smiles .

Meh. It's more interesting for me haha.
                      Danielle
                      14 Freshwoman
                      December 1st got no head the boston brace
                      Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                      In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                      In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                      We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Hey Pam,
                        Congratulations on such a great x-ray and visit with your Dr. and no restrictions. You must be so happy. About that note from your Dr. and a copy of your x-ray when you go to the airport. I asked Dr. Rand about that same thing 3 months ago and he said that airport security won't accept notes or xrays anymore and that if the metal detector is too sensitive, I would have to show them my scars. I said "swell". We are flying to Seattle next month so I will just wear an overblouse so I don't have to unzip my slacks to tuck everything back in, in public. I also plan to take my pain meds and that is a great idea about the egg crate mattress cover Theresa. I will pick one up when we reach our destination. Have a wonderful trip Pam and let us know how everything goes. Will you be in Boston long? I grew up in New York near Albany and upstate NY is really beautiful. Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

That's great!

Yes, Pam-- congratulations on your excellent report and freedom from restrictions!

Sally--my doctor said the same about airport security. He said if it set off the detectors, they would just wand me and possibly ask to see the scar, and any papers of proof wouldn't be acceptable anyway. Another area where most of our doctors have differing ideas, it seems. I didn't set any off. If you're not able to squat down very well, watch the kind of shoes you take-- slip-ons might be easiest. Also, you'll have to pick them up to set them on the conveyor belt. But maybe you're not traveling alone.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congrats on a great 4 month follow-up! Have fun on your trip ( I know you will!)

Comment

Wait, why is everyone congratulating Pam (okay, you do deserve the congratulations, after all, you've made a terrific recovery), and telling her to have a good time on her trip? Huh? WHAT ABOUT US?!

Pam is going off on a great trip but who will entertain us while she's gone?

Seriously, though, Pam, congratulations on the great news from your doctor. You have made an amazing recovery. Please remember to take it slow on your trip and don't do anything to cause yourself a set back. I truely wish you a safe and fun-filled trip! We'll miss you while you're gone.

Mary Lou
                              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                              X