Skoshi314 Surgery Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skoshi314 Surgery Update

It is done............Now we start the recovery.

Hello All,

This is Becky's husband. She asked before surgery that I post her results following surgery. She did very welll and had an excellent surgery team at one of the best specialty hospitals. Surgery started at 8:30. The sugeon and assistant came out at 3:30 and gave me the results including seeing the xrays of the new hardware. They hoped to correct the curve from 60 degrees to 30 degrees. Looking at the xray the correction looked great and looks to be about 15 degrees, if it stays at that. Becky is now almost 5 hours in her room after surgery and recovery room. She is resting for periods of time until becoming uncomfortable. Pain is primarily on right side from fromnt to back. Adjusting positions sometimes helps in conjunction with the pain medicine.

This forum has been a tremendous help and support to
    Becky. We both extend our appreciation to each of you who have provide information and support.

Thanks for all the prayers and may god bless you, protect you and provide his hand for healing.

Rusty
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Tell her I said woo-hoo! Believe it or not, she's past the toughest part (actually doing it).

Go, Becky!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Oh please give her a "gentle", huge hug from Geish and tell her I am so proud of her and thinking of her.. Let her know it will continue to get better from here on out. We are all here for her. Stay strong Becky!
      Alicia
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Congrats to Becky on her surgery. Welcome to the "other side." Sounds like she's doing really well. In no time, she will be up & around. Please send her our best & tell her that our thoughts & prayers are with her for a very speedy recovery.
        Martha
        Mother of Laura, Age 19
        Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
        Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
        Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
        Fused T2-L2
        Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
        Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
        Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
        OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Dear Becky,

Congratulations on a very successful surgery and correction. You will be thrilled. Although you hurt now, each day will get better and better. We will look forward to hearing about your progress. My turn is next Monday. I thought of you yesterday and it was great to hear the good news from your husband.
          Rita

Comment

Thanks!

That's great news, Rusty. Thanks so much for posting--I had wondered yesterday when/if we might hear how it went, although I thought she had said you would post. Tell Becky I'm really proud of her too, and know how difficult early recovery is. She has a lot of spunk, so I know she'll face the challenges ahead well-- starting with those there in the hospital--sitting and walking and physical therapy. The first 3 weeks are hard work, but you can see lots of progress then too. It's still hard work after that, but gets a lot better. Please give her a gentle hug from me, and let her know that I've been praying for her. (And for you too-- you have a difficult task as well!) If you have time, please keep us updated with how things are going. Thanks again, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Recovery Day 1

Becky slept a couple of time for 3 hours, not counting the 2 hour interuptions for turning over. This morning they put on her brace and got her up to walk. She sat in a chair for 20 minutes and back to bed. They changed her to oral pain medication before walking. She slept about 3 hours, only to be awaken again to walk.

Her pain level has decreased on oral meds. She has had a good day with visitors and rest. She wants you all to know that she loves you and appreciates the great support you have given her and are continuing to provide. You have given her the strength and knowledge to make the huge jump into surgery.

Her post procedure xray looks great, with only a little curve between the rods. She is anxious to get a picture of the xray and post the before and after xrays.

We thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Without this forum, I do not know if we would have had the courage, let alone the peace of mind, to go through with the procedure. The recovery road ahead may be hilly but we know we are not taveling it alone.

Thanks,
              Rusty and Becky
              Becky, 46 years old
              Ignored until 448/07
              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
              Fused T-10 to L-5
              Email

Comment

Originally posted by skoshi314
                Becky slept a couple of time for 3 hours, not counting the 2 hour interuptions for turning over. This morning they put on her brace and got her up to walk. She sat in a chair for 20 minutes and back to bed. They changed her to oral pain medication before walking. She slept about 3 hours, only to be awaken again to walk.
                Every time she gets up for a while - or walks for a bit - things will improve ... slowly but surely!

Y'all hang in there . Looking forward to more good news soon.

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Friday June 13 (Friday th13th!)

Wow it's Friday already! I'm posting this from my phone so it will probably be short. I was moved to rehab hospital yesterday and what a difference. I'll try to elaborate later but as a hint: I want to go back to the Spine Hospital!
                  The only thing still attached to me is the drain. Hopefully that can come out today. I can't even begin to tell you how pleased I am with the correction. I
                  I look like I'm 6 months pregnant though. I think I read somewhere that happens but I'm just too medicated to look for it right now. Once the swelling is down it should be great.
                  I'm going to drift off into medication land now. When get a laptop up here I'll post more. Thank you all for your support and love.
                  Becky
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  Email

Comment

Yay, Becky!

It's wonderful to hear from you! It sounds like you are doing well! Yes, the abdominal swelling comes with the territory and will subside after awhile, so don't worry about that. Sorry the rehab experience isn't as nice as the hospital one... it probably won't be too long till you go home, so remember that. And the more you do (as in walking, physical therapy, etc.) the sooner you'll be feeling some better and able to do more. It's a fine line between resting up (what we want to do) and being more active (pushing yourself a little, but not too hard.) Keep up the hard work! I'm proud of you!!! Remember, I am praying for you. Sending lots of gentle hugs and love your way, Susie
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

You're on your way!

Becky,

I was so glad to see your post! You are doing great being able to think straight enough to write! I think my valium dose was too high I was too stupid to talk let alone write! LOL!! Thank Rusty for us, he did a great job keeping us up dated. Call me when you can, Suzy

Comment

Wow

I'm now at the end of day 4 of recovery and I'm really discouraged. I will NEVER take being 'regular' for granted again. I became constipated at the Spine Hospital and you don't even want to know what all it took to take care of business. It now appears I'm in the same boat again and this time, since I'm at the rehab hospital I will be given 'The Bomb' which is equal parts of prune juice and milk of magnesia warmed up. Mmmmmmm yummy! I don't care as long as it works. I honestly look 8 months pregnant and on Tuesday morning my stomach was flat. The pulling to the front by the bloat is making my back hurt even worse (like it needed an excuse to hurt more). Please everyone, send good happy vibes my way!

Sorry to be a downer but things seem kinda bleak right now. Thanks for the warm wishs. You all are wonderful!
                        Becky, 46 years old
                        Ignored until 448/07
                        Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                        Fused T-10 to L-5
                        Email

Comment

Becky,
                          I am soooo jealous! Prune juice and milk of magnesia, and warm no less! Sounds delish! LOL I am so sorry, but I do promise it will get better. I know it seems bleak right now but by this time next week I am sure you will feel more like your old self, only straight! I'm thinking of and I know you can do this. We 40 somethings have to stick together! Hugs!
                          Geish/Alicia
                          Geish
                          47 years old, dx at 13
                          +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                          Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                          http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                          http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Oh my Beck--I sure hope that 'Bomb' works! It's probably worked by now, hopefully! Fingers crossed over here! The only time I've ever had that problem is after my kids were all born, and I remember how uncomfortable it was. And I didn't have a back all cut up at the time.

Take care of yourself, and I hope 'things' start working better

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks, Debbe. It was decided by the powers that be to attack this from, um, both angles. So in the wee hours of the morning we did just that. Man, do I know how to live it up or what? Hopefully this will work. At the very least I'm getting lots of great logrolling practice!

Alicia, delish is one way of putting it. In all fairness to prune juice it isn't completely disgusting. Personally I think the mag citrate I had to drink the other day was worse. Please keep those gentle hugs coming!
                              Becky, 46 years old
                              Ignored until 448/07
                              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                              Fused T-10 to L-5
                              Email

Comment

Working...
                              X