Cheneau Brace question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheneau Brace question

I was wandering if anyone can help me find a orthotist here in the US that can make and fit a Cheneau style brace to treat kyphosis and associated lordosis.

My wife (38) has been suffering from back pain and frequent headaches for quite some time. She also has noticibly bad posture (roundback) which has had me concerned for several years. Recently I made her go see an ortopedist who diagnosed her as having postural kyphosis and lordosis. Her first reaction was to try some physical therapy. My wife tried it for a few weeks with little change. she returned to the doctor for a couple of visits and after about the third visit we agreed to try a back brace to manage her pain. I gather that most doctors do not feel that a brace can correct this problems in adults once they have passed adolessence. Anyways she saw an orthotist who made her a bivalve TLSO with a thoracic extension. Needless to say neither of us are real pleased with the result as the brace does not seem to fit real well and is a bit too clunky looking.

After doing some research we discovered that the Cheneau style brace that is used in Europe. This brace looks like it would be much easier for her to wear and and would be less conspiuous under her clothing. Unfortunately I do not know if our local orthotist knows about these or has any experience in making them. We are located in Columbus Ohio but would be open to travel if we cannot find an orthotist locally who is familiar with this type of brace. Does anyone know of a place near us that can make this type of brace or of a physcician that uses them and treats adults?

Mike

You may contact 1- Luke Stikeleather , Orthostist specialized in Chaneau Brace at www. lms3Gs@aol.com (703) 949- 8808 Orthostis Solutions
    2- Gez Bowman at (818 ) 996-0061 also specialized in
    Chaneau braces.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Did some searching and discovered that the first person you gave me was in Virginia which is not to far for us to travel. I will try and contact him possibly this afternoon. Do you have any experience with either of these gentlemen or do they have a web page?

Regards
      Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
        We had my daughter's cheneau brace made in Los Angeles in February and here is the website www.thelabrace.com . I searched the forum and I believe these NSF Forum folks used Luke to make their brace. You can probably PM them to get more information: bettyja27, IowaMom, bracegirl, scoliomom

Comment

Brace not recommended for Lordosis

I have been told that wearing a brace when you have Lordosis is contraindicated & the brace could make the Lordosis worse. I suggest that you ask about this before your wife wears a brace. My daughter wore a brace for a year & then we learned that braces are NOT recommended for people who have Lordosis. Good luck!
          Martha
          Mother of Laura, Age 19
          Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
          Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
          Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
          Fused T2-L2
          Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
          Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
          Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
          OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Martha

I have never heard of a brace actually increasing lordosis, infact there are a number of braces and corsets that are designed to treat lordosis. I suppose however that if the wrong type of brace is used or a brace is not fitted correctly it could have an adverse effect on the body. I also have heard that wearing a brace can lead to muscle atrophy which also could caus the spine to deform even more. As for my wife she did have a perscription from her orthopedic doctor for the brace. I will keep you in mind the next time we go to her orthotist and ask him about this.

Regards
            Mike

Comment

Mike,

When my teenage daughter was prescribed a brace for her Scoliosis and Kyphosis, she was given exercises to do daily to keep her back muscles strong. Have your wife ask her doctor about p.t. or if he can give her some exercises. May I ask what is the degree of her Kyphosis?

Good luck.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hello Mary Lou

My wife and I went to her doctor last week and I asked her about the angle of her curve. She told me that since it was postural that there was no need to measure it. So I can only assume that she has not measured it at all. Also her doctor did perscribe some physical therapy along with medication to help with the pain and soreness. I really hate it when doctors just want to perscribe meds to numb the symptoms instead of correcting the problem.

Regards
                Mike

Comment

I forgot to mention that I did speak with one of the orthotists yesterday from scoliosis solutions and he is going to send me some information. He also told me that if I send him her exrays he would measure the angle and level of her curve.

Regards
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by scurve_99
                    Thank you for the reply. Did some searching and discovered that the first person you gave me was in Virginia which is not to far for us to travel. I will try and contact him possibly this afternoon. Do you have any experience with either of these gentlemen or do they have a web page?

Regards
                    Mike
                    Hi Mike: Yes , I know them both profesionally.It is very important that besides the corrective Chaneau brace ( if you choose that route) that your wife learns with mirror control , video tapping and a Physiotherapist in your area that takes time to teach her how to strenghthen all the ileocostalis muscles and postural retrainning. You can send me a PM.

Comment

Thanks Mike, for the reply. I find it odd that the doctor didn't measure her curve.

I totally agree with you when you talk about doctors prescribing drugs right away for pain. Who knows, maybe the exercises and/or brace will help with the pain.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Luke & Orthotic Solutions

Hi!
                        I have worn a Cheneau brace for abou 4 years now, and all 4 of mine have been made by Luke Stykleather. He is amazing, and was trained by Manuel Rigo, of Barcelona, and the man considered to be the expert in these braces. Luke services many people from out of town, so he has discounted hotel rates and other helpful tips for people visiting (including a travel guide made by yours truely!!) I would definately encourage you to talk to him!

Good luck!
                        Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
                        -Virgel

Comment

Working...
                        X