Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult fusion and Spinecor

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so here is a short history. I am 53. (Please read on, I will get to my experience with Spinecor ....The nice part.

Idiopathic scoliosis as a child; wait and see attitude from orthopaedic surgeons until it was decided to operate. I underwent a 12 level spinal fusion in Toronto at age 38, in 1993.
    Complications arose, which were finally diagnosed 18 months after the first surgery. The spinal cord itself had been affected, through a tear in the Dura Mater. The Cerebro Spinal fluid was pulsating out of the cord for 18 months, such that it bore a hole in the body of vertebra L1, and the spinal cord got stuck in there. I was in more than agonizing pain. I spent most of my days in bed during those months.
    The Dural tear was repaired by a neurosurgeon in April 95, I was 40 years old. The name of this condition is called pseudomeningocele. The orthopaedic surgeon had never seen this, and the neurosurgeon had seen it only once before. The Journal of Neurosurgery at the time reported 13 cases worldwide, all with different causes, i.e. nobody had the same history.

This left me handicapped, I walk with two canes, and I own a wheelchair. My right leg is partly paralyzed. My children were 10 and 12 at the time. My husband was always very supportive. I never could go back to work. Needless to say, pain management has been a near constant occupation. I can write oodles on this and personal growth, but what might be of use here, is writing about the Spinecor, even with a fusion from T4 to L4.

I read of the brace in the Maclean's magazine. I went to see Dre. Louise Marcotte, choropractor, in Montreal on May 7th, 2008, was fitted with the brace, and have been wearing it ever since. It has increased my level of energy three times at least, because I am not always burdened with pain here and there.
    It has partly corrected my center of gravity, has relaxed the muscles in my shoulders and neck (walking with canes taxes these muscles). The brace is controlling sacroiliac joint pain very well, because I stand more equally on both legs. My right shoulder is not "clicking" any more, and the referred pain I have had in my left thumb is diminishing significantly. All in all, my pain level is practically nil, the muscle stress reduced, and my quality of life significantly improved. All of this within 4 weeks. No kidding.
    I don't sleep with the brace though, my goal is pain management. I do not take pain medication, and have not in the past as much as possible (it has bad side effects).

The Spinecor is a wonderful happening in my life. I am very grateful to Drs. Rivard and Collaird, for their research and ingenuity, and to Dre. Marcotte for her initiative to provide it to adults. I believe children with scoliosis have a great chance of being helped, rather than taking this wait and see attitude. I wish I would have had that chance, instead of simply getting into surgery without other options. Once a fusion is done, there is no going back. It's for life.

I hope this information was useful,

Wishing everyone all the best,

Marie

Thank you...

Marie-- you are such a strong person. I am sorry you have had such a challenging life. I'm so glad you posted your story-- I found it to be quite inspiring and a source of encouragement. And I am so glad you have received such relief after all these years! And so quickly too! Keep us posted on how you are doing with it as more time passes.

There was another "older" gal (I don't really think we are all THAT old, so I put it in quotes! ) who was trying a spinecor brace for relief, but I don't think she's been on the forum for awhile, so don't know how hers has worked out for her.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I know there are quite a few people out there who might benefit from your experience.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Marie,

Thank you for sharing your story. I was saddened to read your post. Yours is a perfect example of what can happen when surgery goes wrong. I would give anything to avoid this surgery and living with a fused spine, but rapid progression and what I fear are impinged internal organs is leaving me no option. I’ve had a few email exchanges with a woman in her 60s who said the Spinecor brace enhanced the quality of her life tremendously, and I’m happy to hear that it is bringing you relief as well.

Sincerely,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
        Marie,

Thank you for sharing your story. I was saddened to read your post. Yours is a perfect example of what can happen when surgery goes wrong. I would give anything to avoid this surgery and living with a fused spine, but rapid progression and what I fear are impinged internal organs is leaving me no option. I’ve had a few email exchanges with a woman in her 60s who said the Spinecor brace enhanced the quality of her life tremendously, and I’m happy to hear that it is bringing you relief as well.

Sincerely,

Chris
        Hello Chris,

My second time writing on this forum, so I was enchanted when I pressed on 'Quote", to see that I can actually reply. I am becoming a cool IT genius
        I wish you all the best in your research and decisions, and in your surgery if/when needed. My thoughts and prayers to you, for the best outcome.

It was a discovery for me to see that some people have actually had good results, as I browsed through the forum. This could be an encouragement and source of info for you if you must go through surgery.
        However, sobriety is still de rigueur regarding any kind of surgery.
        For fifteen years I had not had any contact with anyone with a spinal fusion, and even less with the desastrous results I experienced. I was very much on my own. I asked Dre. Marcotte, the chiropractor who fitted me with the brace, if she had seen cases like mine. She has been practicing since 2000, and she had not seen my case before, although she had seen other complications. So my particular case is a rarity it seems (thank God).

Is trying the Spinecor (still?) a possibility for you? Even before surgery occurs? Dre. Marcotte is in Montreal, but I know that the son of Sharon Dunn (Maclean's journalist) was fitted in California. I am sure there are other places also.

Wishing you everything good in your search and decisions,

Marie-Suzanne

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
          Marie-- you are such a strong person. I am sorry you have had such a challenging life. I'm so glad you posted your story-- I found it to be quite inspiring and a source of encouragement. And I am so glad you have received such relief after all these years! And so quickly too! Keep us posted on how you are doing with it as more time passes.

There was another "older" gal (I don't really think we are all THAT old, so I put it in quotes! ) who was trying a spinecor brace for relief, but I don't think she's been on the forum for awhile, so don't know how hers has worked out for her.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I know there are quite a few people out there who might benefit from your experience.
          Dear Susie*Bee,

My second reply in the forum...still getting used to the information technology. It seems that I am including your message in my reply. I replied to Chris, and this is what happened.. .

I remember reading your story a month or so ago, and I am impressed at how well your surgery has gone. We are about the same age, your curve in the 50's sounded like mine when I was 38, and the extent of your fusion is almost identical to mine. I am happy that you are feeling well, and continuing to improve. Keep it up!!!! A good story.

This forum is rich in information, courageous stories, and some difficult ones also. I am grateful to everyone who has been sharing their experience,

Take care,

Marie

Comment

Working...
          X