Thread: One year checkup looks good

One year checkup looks good

Just wanted to say that in spite of my ongoing paranoia about injuring myself (!), my new x-rays showed that everything is fine and according to Boachie, I am "fully fused." You can actually see on the films where the bone grafts have taken. Also, my thoracic compensatory curve, which originally measured at around 28 degs., straightened out big-time and now measures 10 degrees. I grew another quarter of an inch and now tower over the average person at a whopping 4'-11 and ONE HALF.

I asked him what movements or activities I should never do again and he said: bending from side to side, twisting, and jogging. He said gardening probably wasn't a good idea at this point -- one of the issues with me as that he used very thin rods on the posterior portion of my surgery because of my size and I need to avoid repetitive bending-over type movements.

So I don't see him again for a year. Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement throughout this past year . Maybe now I can relax a little, learn to trust my back, and spend less time on the internet!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Talking Yay!

Chris-- that is wonderful news! I'm so glad you got such a good report. And WOW! a whole year before you need another check-up. That is terrific! It sounds like our restrictions are very similar. And you got me laughing about your towering stature... those half-inches are VERY important when you are on the lower end of the totem pole... and you even got an additional 1/4" out of your continued straightening. Way to go!

I hope that you will truly enjoy that "relaxing" part now. Keep in touch! Best wishes for moving on from the surgery/recovery. Susie
    67 and plugging along...
    2007 52 w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior spinal fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    NEW 10/2018 x-rays show spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Chris,

Congratulations on an outstanding report and continued success and best wishes as you move on with your life with your healthier back.

Chris

Chris,

Congratulations on your good news!! You must be breathing a sigh of relief. You are right, just start enjoying life now and have fun. You should celebrate!!

I so get you with enjoying another half inch. I used to be 5'2.5", and I NEVER EVER said I was simply 5'2". Unfortunately, now I'm only 5'1.5 But hopefully I will get at least my one inch back, maybe more.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

wonderful news Chris!
    You will find you get more stamina as you past the 1 yr mark! It can only get better & better!
    Lynne

Congrats Chris! It has been a bit longer road for you and I am so happy you have met this milestone with such great improvement. Lynne is correct, believe it or not you will get better yet! I thought by my 1 yr. mark that I was at a great recovery. Then at 1 1/2 yr mark looked back 6 mo. and realised I had still improved! I don't jog, never did. Can't quite understand why people do.... I think with time you will be able to garden. You just might to stay down in one spot when you are doing it and do another area later. I did it that way in the beginning and did well. You will get back to more activities as time goes on, you will just do them a bit different. No more paranoia, O.K? All the best, Suzy

Yeah Chris !!!!! What a fantastic birthday present! You did have such a tough time and I don't think you were being paranoid when thinking of all the things that might/could be wrong. This forum and our families and friends are THE place to express our fears and concerns.

Hugs,
    Janet
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Congratulations, Chris!

Chris,

Thanks for sharing your great news and and the fact that you have gained that extra HALF INCH! You have been a real trooper this last year. I hope you have a very special celebration planned.

Linda W.
    Linda
    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Thank you everyone!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York