Moved "Nonsense" thread from kids secion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JanL
    I come to this forum to seek and share useful information and find way too many of these nonsensical exchanges. It's a turn off.
    EVERYONE: Listen to and follow JanL's words. This is what the forum is about. This website was incredibly helpful to me throughout my daughter's surgery and recovery but too many posts here have fallen off of the basic path lately.

Let's get back to helping each other.

Well said JanL....
    Last edited by ca-native; 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM.
    ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Comment

Well said, Elaine!

Let's keep religion, personalities, etc. out of it and stick to discussing SCOLIOSIS.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Come on let's all be adults here and set a good example for the kids who may read this post.

There are bound to be times where you don't like or agree with what someone says, just ignore it.

Be courteous, respectful and mature enough to allow someone an opinion that may not be your own.

I don't believe it is anyones place to tell an 11 year old, or anyone for that matter, what they can or can't say.

Please, everyone get back to the true intentions of this forum.
        CarolS
        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
        Osteotomy March 20,2008
        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Stop this rubbish

This forum has lost it's way. Get back to what it is meant to be...a place where those who have had surgery, can give advice to those who haven't. I also see a danger with the forum too. Sometimes people who have had surgery a few years ago need to move on...

Comment

Originally posted by prideinthejerse
            ...a place where those who have had surgery, can give advice to those who haven't. Sometimes people who have had surgery a few years ago need to move on...
            Those of us experienced with this surgery help the new people understand what they will be facing from a first hand account. I personally don't know of any surgeons who have had this surgery that perform this surgery. Thus, they can only give you a rough idea from what they have been told by patients. I love that we are so open with each other and can talk about ANYTHING. You will find out information here you would never think to ask your Dr. And there is no way the Dr. can anticipate all your questions.
            I learned so much on this forum I was able to ask specific pertinent questions when I saw my Dr. He asked how I became so knowledgeable! I entered the hospital for my surgery educated and (fairly) calm knowing pretty much what I was in for.
            I guess since the recovery period for this surgery is 2 years (As told to us by our surgeons.) that is when we should stop helping others?

Comment

I am extremely grateful people who have had this surgery have not "moved on".

Karen Ocker (hope you don't mind me using your name Karen) has been one person who was invaluable to me. She is in the medical field and has been a fountain of information that I have grown to rely on and more importantly....trust.

We need those who have been through this!
              CarolS
              68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
              Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
              Osteotomy March 20,2008
              Thrilled with results!

Comment

Well said, Suzy and Carol.

I'm in a bit of a different boat - my son had vertebral body stapling over four years ago and I frequent a VBS site as well as this and other forums - but what I'd like to know is.....should I have "moved on" and stopped helping folks two years ago??? That's insane. I have been told by several people whom I have tried to educate about VBS and share my experiences and information with DURING THE PAST TWO YEARS that it helped them immensely.

For anyone to consider moving on just because they are a couple of years post-op would NOT be a good thing for this or any forum IMHO.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by CStadler - I don't believe it is anyones place to tell an 11 year old, or anyone for that matter, what they can or can't say.

I have been away for a few days and am totally shocked by what is going on here. I totally agree with the above quote. By the way, if an 11 year old girl offers to pray for me, I say, "Thank you very much." I choose to believe that prayer helps (no matter what the outcome) even though it may not be able to be proven by science, because it offers peace and the knowledge that we are not in control of everything in our lives.

Originally Posted by prideinthejerse
                  ...a place where those who have had surgery, can give advice to those who haven't. Sometimes people who have had surgery a few years ago need to move on...

Where on this post does it say two years? I always thought that a few was 8 or more

May God bless you all. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by CStadler
                    Be courteous, respectful and mature enough to allow someone an opinion that may not be your own.
                    Folks are entitled to their own opinions. They are NOT entitled to their own facts.

Do you disagree?

sharon

ps. Could the person who used the word, "rubbish," please post more? I love it when folks use that word.

s
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

wondered how many a few were...

Hi Sally,

I won't tell my kids to have "a few" cookies if it is indeed 8! LOL!

2 years = recovery. That was just my way of wondering out loud when one might need to think about leaving the forum.... as prideinthejerse suggested.

Comment

I'm not sure who the go away comment was meant for....but my daughter will be 4 years post-op this year and I obviously haven't "gone away" and don't intend to do so any time soon!

I am more grateful than words can express for those of you who "held" my hand through Jamie's surgery. I get a good feeling by "paying it forward" to others who now need me to hold their hands through pre-surgery, surgery and recovery no matter how long that might take. I receive e-mails daily from people (mostly from this forum) who are either facing surgery themselves or facing surgery for their child and they are always grateful that I've stuck around the forum to share Jamie's experience.

I imagine that someday I'll leave this forum, but right now, I can't imagine it happening!

Mary Lou
                        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
                          I'm not sure who the go away comment was meant for....but my daughter will be 4 years post-op this year and I obviously haven't "gone away" and don't intend to do so any time soon!

I am more grateful than words can express for those of you who "held" my hand through Jamie's surgery. I get a good feeling by "paying it forward" to others who now need me to hold their hands through pre-surgery, surgery and recovery no matter how long that might take. I receive e-mails daily from people (mostly from this forum) who are either facing surgery themselves or facing surgery for their child and they are always grateful that I've stuck around the forum to share Jamie's experience.

I imagine that someday I'll leave this forum, but right now, I can't imagine it happening!

Mary Lou
                          Man, I am SO grateful you were here to help me through not only the surgery part but the recovery part also with my daughter. I didn't get a load of instructions from the surgeon when we left to hospital so I just did mainly what you said. I am NOT kidding.

That "move on" comment is completely inscrutable. The experienced folks here are the main asset.

Thank you.

sharon
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Sharon.

Mary Lou
                            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy

Mary Lou
                              Hi Mary Lou,

I, for one, am glad you have no intention of leaving the forum - nor do I.

You made a great point about wanting to "pay it forward". I still can't understand the rationale of anyone saying that after a certain point, folks should move on, rather than stick around to help the next person.

That's exactly what I DON'T want to do - to ever say "well my son's surgery is over so I'm on my way". Now THAT would be a shame if people started doing that - but I don't see that happening either, thankfully.

Good to hear from you - hope all is well with your family.
                              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks Maria. You are one of the many people here who I count as a dear friend.

All is well with my family-busy as usual! I hope your family is also doing well. Enjoy your summer and if you ever decide to come to Hershey Park, please let me know. I'd love to meet you in person.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                                X