bed wetting in brace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bed wetting in brace...

My daughter (8 years old) has wet the bed 2 times in the last month, which she hasn't done since she was a toddler. I don't know if it has to do with her brace or not, maybe the pelvic area of the brace. Has anyone else experienced any bed wetting while your child is in a brace?

I have been late for work 2 times now and her late for school also because we have to completely wash the brace after this and let it dry, it's a real hassle LOL.
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

My Daughter had a few accidents but it did not turn into a problem. It is a pain. When it happens I just handwash what needs to be cleanned and throw in the dryer quickly. Then I machine wash the whole thing after school.
    from CT, USA
    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

I was a little confused because of the dryer and hand washing thing but then I realized you guys had the Spinecor. You don't know how lucky you are

-Lexi -
      I wish I lived in a perfect world. . .

Comment

My first thought is to check her blood sugar, thirst, ect.(I.e. symptoms of diabetes). Also check for a urinary tract infection. Is she avoiding going to the bathroom at bedtime and during the day because of difficulty with the brace?
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

My daughter also had some accidents since spinecor...she didn't wet the bed...she wet her pajamas (she'd get to the bathroom but didn't have enough time to get everything unsnapped given that she was half asleep and would have an accident - and was so upset about it also, I felt terrible). It happened once or twice during the day also although now she is realizing she can't wait for the last minute to go anymore (like she always did pre-brace). Knock wood it hasn't happened in the past couple months....

Maybe the emotional side of it has contributed?
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

My daughter also had some accidents since spinecor...she didn't wet the bed...she wet her pajamas (she'd get to the bathroom but didn't have enough time to get everything unsnapped given that she was half asleep and would have an accident - and was so upset about it also, I felt terrible). It happened once or twice during the day also although now she is realizing she can't wait for the last minute to go anymore (like she always did pre-brace). Knock wood it hasn't happened in the past couple+ months....

Maybe the emotional side of it has contributed?
            daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Thank you for all of your responses!!!

well she went to the bathroom before bed, then again 2 hours after falling asleep, then she wet the bed and then she had to go when she woke up too...

with that said as suggested above I am taking her to get her glucose levels checked, her cousin was just diagnosed last Monday with type 1 diabetes and his main symptom was suddenly starting to wet the bed. I am sure she is fine but we have an appointment on Tuesday with the doctor.
              Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
              Diagnosed January 11/08
              In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
              Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't wait until next Tuesday. Things can go from bad to worse quickly with undiagnosed juvenile diabetes.

My son has been a diabetic since age four. (10 years)Bedwetting was one of the first symptoms.
                If ketoacidosis becomes severe, the child can go into a coma. Some never wake up.
                I am not trying to scare you, but don't wait. Find out quickly.

Did you tell the pediatrician's office that you were concerned about diabetes? A week is too long to wait, I don't care what they say.
                There may be something serious going on, even if it is just a UTI.

My son was FLOWN from here to a major hospital that was a two hour drive away. He was awake and alert. I had no idea how sick he was when we went to the pediatrician's office that morning. I thought he had a urinary tract infection.
                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

i wet my bed when i was in my boston brace now i don't because i don't wear no more
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

Working...
                  X