The Blind leading the Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blind leading the Blind

I think Susie*Bee brought up a valid issue of giving kids wide latitude in what they post in the kids section simply because it is the kids section.

I agree with that to a point.

But I think it is incumbent on the adults here to check that section and make sure bad advice and counterfactual material isn't being posted so as to not mislead the other kids. And kids should feel like they could check the adults sections for errors! My kids gig me correctly on things.

Kids are mistaken. Adults are mistaken. We all need to be checking all information to make sure it is as correct as possible.

I am on the fence about kid preachers like Val. She should be able to talk about that because it seems to help her with her scoliosis. But not all the other kids are going to bring the appropriate skepticism to the table. I cringe knowing other kids are reading that stuff who may not have learned an appropriate level of skepticism and intellectual honesty. But that is not my business.

Also, it has come to my attention that maybe an adult uses Val's screen name to post certain comments. Not all the time but maybe some of the time. I will be watching for that. If I think some adult is smuggling in counterfactual nonsense using a child's screen name, I'll be pointing that out in no uncertain terms.

What I'm making my business is to correct any counterfactual anti-science claims in this or any section. Scoliosis is serious business.

If folks aren't interested in evidence-based medicine to treat this condition, then they are likely here for a more sinister purpose (spamming paranormal treatments, religious proselytizing, etc.). I think we all know that if an adult posted the stuff Val did they would have been blasted into next week long ago. And for good reason.

sharon
    Last edited by Pooka1; 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Ok, I just read what was causing all the controversy. How the post went from school mates teasing to Bilbe Belt propaganda was amazing. It's a good thing adults do surf the kids section, as parents we do need to monitor what is being said to our kids. I believe prayers of any kind are always greatly accepted, but no "child" should be spouting God's wrath. Maybe Hulk Hogan and his son believe that, but we all live in reality (Ok, yes, I watch too much E!).

That being said, as parents, we need to let our kids know that if they're reading something that doesn't sound right, have a question about a new "therapy", or just don't understand what someone is writing about, they need to consult us. We all remeber as kids getting "advice" from our friends about sex and other topics and how far off they were. The kids will figure how far off base Val is and let her know. If she continues after she's been asked to keep the religious opinions to herself, then step in.

Emily

Comment

Originally posted by ecnw
      Ok, I just read what was causing all the controversy. How the post went from school mates teasing to Bible Belt propaganda was amazing. It's a good thing adults do surf the kids section, as parents we do need to monitor what is being said to our kids. I believe prayers of any kind are always greatly accepted, but no "child" should be spouting God's wrath. Maybe Hulk Hogan and his son believe that, but we all live in reality (Ok, yes, I watch too much E!).
      Well stated. The fact that we apparently (not necessarily*) have a kid spouting fire and brimstone is Exhibit A supporting Richard Dawkins' claim that inculcating damnation beliefs in children in fact constitutes child abuse. I certainly agree.

(*Re-read "Val's" last post that cites a bible verse and see if that is in keeping with many of her other posts in terms of sentence structure, grammar usage, and vocabulary.)

Originally posted by ecnw
      That being said, as parents, we need to let our kids know that if they're reading something that doesn't sound right, have a question about a new "therapy", or just don't understand what someone is writing about, they need to consult us. We all remember as kids getting "advice" from our friends about sex and other topics and how far off they were. The kids will figure how far off base Val is and let her know. If she continues after she's been asked to keep the religious opinions to herself, then step in.

Emily
      I hope you are right that other kids will be able to vet the tent revival stuff. I did see some evidence for it. But not all kids are equipped with a "Baloney Detector" as Carl Sagan so aptly put it. My kids have learned to ask for evidence and to approach all claims skeptically absent evidence. They are much less likely to fall for paranormal or religious scams. But I wonder how many other kids are as well prepared? I worry about that. The U.S. is a laughing stock of the world in terms of the vast numbers of young earth creationists there are here. It's embarrassing.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

How Dare You?

Originally posted by Pooka1
        But I think it is incumbent on the adults here to check that section and make sure bad advice and counterfactual material isn't being posted so as to not mislead the other kids
        Really? You think it's up to us Adults that we guide and direct the children of this scoliosis forum, in their section, to make sure "we" teach them something??

Bad Advice? WTF exactly are you talking about? Val, all 11 years of her, simply voiced and shared her beliefs. She is a CHILD, and you have no right at all to tell her she is wrong about anything.

In fact, you have no right at all to tell anybody here on this forum that their beliefs are wrong. I would like to know, who DIED an made you the Boss of Anything Important at all? You are no expert on anything Pooka1.

You are simply a member of this forum. And you should keep your posts thus.
        If you have your own Political Agenda, you need to go to a political forum and leave this one to the survivors and educators of SCOLIOSIS.

txmarinemom made a respectful request about this child posting her religious thoughts. That is okay, and in fact, I agree with that. You stretched it to suggest a child had a bigger agenda, in fact that she was actually an adult....omg are you kidding me right now?

How appalling. Do you not have more important things to engage you at this time in your life other than to squash the thoughts or beliefs of another - especially a child?

It's people like you that scare me to death. Stop with your own agenda and leave this forum to the discussion of scoliosis and other related information.

Your wrong is so much worse than Val's because you are an adult. Shame on you.
        Last edited by Chihuahua Mama; 05-31-2008, 11:10 PM. Reason: mis-spell of Kooka
        Susan
        XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

If you allow the tent revival stuff and counterfactual anti-science nonsense, you shouldn't act surprised when the rational response comes along. This is the kids section and we don't need more blind leading the blind.

We don't need laws or even rules against nonsense. All we need is conversational pressure to hopefully get folks to start making sense.

Feel free to start any time.

ps. I am not the only person who posted voicing skepticism that only a child uses Val's screen name. If you don't want to follow along, why post about this?
          Last edited by Pooka1; 06-01-2008, 08:20 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Yeah okay, so maybe Val is really a middle-aged televangelist with a cheap suit and a bad comb-over. Who cares? Anonymity is the very nature of the internet. Who knows if any of us are what we seem to be? The internet is not real life, and anyone who gets emotionally involved in a forum like this is asking for aggravation.

The insistence on being right never changed anyone's mind; it just makes people dig harder into their own camp. I am more turned off by the rancor and personal attacks on this board than I am by one chirpy Christian.

This forum could certainly use a little more moderation, in my opinion, as its purpose is to share information, not dig around in each others' psyches.

Live and let live.

End of sermon (hey, it's Sunday, right?).
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
              Yeah okay, so maybe Val is really a middle-aged televangelist with a cheap suit and a bad comb-over. Who cares? Anonymity is the very nature of the internet. Who knows if any of us are what we seem to be? The internet is not real life, and anyone who gets emotionally involved in a forum like this is asking for aggravation.

The insistence on being right never changed anyone's mind; it just makes people dig harder into their own camp. I am more turned off by the rancor and personal attacks on this board than I am by one chirpy Christian.

This forum could certainly use a little more moderation, in my opinion, as its purpose is to share information, not dig around in each others' psyches.

Live and let live.

I agree with most of that.

But what kept the lid on this so far is that no Jewish kid or Hindi kid or Muslim kid has come on here or at least hasn't bothered to challenge Val (many might think she is a hopeless cause). What would the supposedly sanguine folks here say about a religious debate in the kids section between kids?

I think there has to be wide latitude especially in the "Other" section of the kids area. And Val (not any adult posting under cover of her screen name) should be able to post pretty much anything. But when she threatens other kids with fire and brimstone or posts young-earth creationism comments, I think the adults have a duty to correct that for the sake of the other kids reading.

Where do we draw the line? Shall we let the kids also arrange drug deals? We have to have a line, in this section and in the Adult section I would think.

I thought there were moderators?

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

To report inappropriate posts, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of the offending post.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Singer

Live and let live.

Thanks Singer, my sentiments exactly. Lets all drop it. Believe what you want to believe. If you disagree agree to disagree and move on.
                  Kevin
                  AIS and Traumatic Scoliosis
                  Degrees always differ (LOL)
                  THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                    To report inappropriate posts, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of the offending post.
                    That's great to know but has any moderator really deleted a post in response to a complaint? It would be a VERY good thing but I'm wondering if it has ever happened?

Early on, I've written to the moderators on a scoliosis issue (of all things!!) in response to older posts of theirs but I never got a response.

It would be good if someone is at the switch.

I'll flag Val's fire and brimstone, proselytizing post and see if it gets deleted on the basis of nefarious motive.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Isn't anyone worried about an 11 year old posting her e-mail addresses? As a parent, that scares me. Several kids come to this site simply because on Spinekids, they aren't allowed to give out e-mail addresses, AIM, MySpace or any other personal info. that could lead predators to them.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy
                        Isn't anyone worried about an 11 year old posting her e-mail addresses? As a parent, that scares me. Several kids come to this site simply because on Spinekids, they aren't allowed to give out e-mail addresses, AIM, MySpace or any other personal info. that could lead predators to them.

Mary Lou
                        That's the best point anyone has made so far by far.

I'll flag that one also immediately and cite your reasoning.

Thank you.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
                          Where do we draw the line? Shall we let the kids also arrange drug deals? We have to have a line, in this section and in the Adult section...

What?? and exactly who is "we"?? You are not a regulator of anything at all Pooka1 - you have an agenda that transcends this forum from discussion of scoliosis to your own personal war about church v. state and it is entirely inappropriate.

You offend me to the point that I will absolute report you to the owners and moderators of this forum for your blatant disregard of the purpose here. This is not a place for your political views and you need to APOLOGISE to the children of this forum for intruding and blasting an innocent 11 year old girl who has scoliosis and shared her belief about a Power that could intervene on her behalf. Who do you think you are to take that AWAY??

As an adult you are entirely responsible for your actions. Val, as a child, is not. You attacked her, you attacked and tried to dismantle her beliefs and for that you are accountable.

This forum is for scoliosis. If you cannot accept the rules, go away, and find a place that welcomes your politics, because I do not and you offend me with your agenda in a place where I come to find answers for my condition and don't want to hear anything else.
                          Susan
                          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Well said, Susan. Thank you.
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                            X