Meralgia Paresthetica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meralgia Paresthetica

I have this condition, with symptoms of some burning pain and numbness in my front thigh. The neurologist I saw said in his report that it this condition was caused by my obesity and too tight clothes - but I'm not even overweight! And my clothes are not tight! Some web site said this could be casued by a tilted pelvis. Anyone else with this condition out there?
    Last edited by JulieBW; 05-30-2008, 11:41 AM.
    1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

check out this thread

Hi Julie,
    Do a search on "thigh nerve damage"
    Linda

Comment

Wow, I heard that term too

The first doctor that did a nerve conduction study on me suggested I had that also, yet I'm not overweight (well unless you count 20 lbs, give or take).

The second doctor that did the nerve conduction said that was ridiculous and my nerve issues were due to my spinal stenosis, not too-tight clothes or too-tight belt.

Later I learned that only seriously overweight (morbidly obese) people get this and usually due to the belt area being compressed and sitting all day long as well.
      Susan
      XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

I have done many Google surches along the femoral nerve route. None of those conditions (diabetes, tumor, etc.) applies to me. I also read the NSF threads, but nothing directly related to my current condition.Thanks for the spinal stenosois thought, it is one possibility. I found an article describing a research study which found that 10% of patients with this condition have spinal stenosis. I would need to have a CT myelogram to determine this - it didn't show up on my lumbar MRI. My symptoms aren't severe enough to warrant this study. I had an EMG. In addition to the symptoms in my first post, whenever I stand or walk, I feel my knee is being tightly squeezed by giant rubber bands - this could be a separate conditon. No one including me thinks I should consider further surgery at this time, or even that CT study which could determine the reason for surgery. So I really am interested in hearing if there are others with this condition, perhaps related to the pelvic tilt. I have 1/2" a leg length discrepancy related to my pelvis, and am trying to gradually increase the length of my shorter leg through wedges in my shoe. This irritates other orthopedic conditions in my hip and knee, and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it.
        Last edited by JulieBW; 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM.
        1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Working...
        X