Uneven ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven ribs

Heya guys, I'm 8 months post op from anterior corrective surgery and Im really pleased with the results.

However, as time goes on I'm starting to notice that my ribhump is comin back. Also, in order to reach my spine, the surgeons went in through my side (right lung) and now I'm finding that the right handside of my ribcage is uneven and theres a big gap running down along the area where they prised my ribs apart.

Has anyone else had this type of surgery cos I'd be really interested in hearing if they have this too. And, does anyone know of a place that does corrective braces/corsets cos I think it would help with my posture and my ribs.

Jen xxxxxx
    Jenny
    18 years old
    Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
    Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Hi Jenny...

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for rib humps to return. I don't know why this happens, however.

It sounds like you may have had part of a rib removed. Ribs that are removed can grow back, but only if the periosteum (a membrane that covers each rib), is left intact.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what is going on with your posture? My son had a similar fusion to yours and his posture still is not great either. He's doing really well otherwise, for the most part though, just like you.

Take care,
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Jen,

I had the whole rib removed during my anterior surgery so I do have a big space in between the ribs. You can feel it with your hand when you run your hand along the scar. Your posture can still improve with time and exercise. I needed to do some core strengthening exercises given to me by the PT.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
        X