People make fun of me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People make fun of me

I just started wearing my brace to school yesterday and people are already making fun of me!! It makes me so sad and they all wonder why I'm always in a bad mood now! What should I do?

-Lexi-
    I wish I lived in a perfect world. . .

advice to your aching heart!!!

are you SERIOUS??? they would be THAT low to make fun of a STUPID brace??? how retarded. don't pay any attention to them. when they say something mean, just be like, "hey, that's SO low. it's only to help me not to hurt my body cuz i'm gonna be a model when i grow up! don't you ppl have a heart at all??? apparently not cuz that's just retarded to make fun of me for following my dream!" and that's ALL you say, then be like, "wanna punch my stomach??? i promise it won't hurt." it's wut i did and it worked just fine!!! noone even cares about it they just say, "do you have your model suit on??? can i punch it again!?" i promise life at school will get a whole lot better! plus, school's almost out, so when you go back to the doctor, say "hey, i wuz talking to some girls on the nsf forums and i wuz wondering if i would be eligible to get a spinecor??? it'd be so cool." if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. i'll be happy to help you. thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~

p.s. i only suggested the whole spinecor thing cuz i want one REALLY bad and i figure nnoone will even notice about a brace, since it's so flexible and everyone will be like, "hey where's your model suit???" and then be like, "i don't need it any more because i think i've kept my body in great shape, and so does my doc!!!"
    Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
    I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
    My curves were 30 and 31
    I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
    I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
    I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
    I want to meet some new people on this forum!
    Don't be shy...
    Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Thanks Val! The really weird thing is that I actually want to be a model! I love this forum. I meet so much great people like you who help me. *sniff* YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I really want a spinecor. I go for my next apt. on June 10th so I'll be sure to mention it to him. The people who make fun of me (and anyone else for that matter.) WILL be sorry one day! I believe in karma.

-Lexi -

Comment

yah

that's great to hear. i'm glad i could help you out and if you ever need anything, you can just feel free to ask. any advice or anything-i'llbe here! well, i'll let you go. thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~
        Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
        I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
        My curves were 30 and 31
        I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
        I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
        I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
        I want to meet some new people on this forum!
        Don't be shy...
        Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Originally posted by MeAndPib
          I believe in karma.

-Lexi -

omg u sound like me! xD

That's exactly right do NOT let them bring you down. My friends thought i was being a brat and milking benefits from my brace at first, I'm not as close with THOSE friends now, but the brace REALLY shows you how people think of you. It's harsh, but you find all the good people. It makes you stronger and I know that I have ten times the willpower as them. You are exactly right though, one of these days karma WILL come back and bite them in the butt. Until then, hold your head up high and treat them with the same respect you deserve. Best of luck, braces are hard at first but it will get easier, I promise.

♥ danielle :-)
          Danielle
          14 Freshwoman
          December 1st got no head the boston brace
          Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
          In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
          In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
          We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Originally posted by MeAndPib
            Thanks Val! The really weird thing is that I actually want to be a model!
            MeAndPib ... and all ...

Girls, there is no reason you can't be whatever, WHOMever, you want. Scoliosis - and a brace - is just a THING. Don't let it define you.

By day, I'm a database programmer.

In my spare time (including pre-fusion ... @53° thoracic) I model part time. About to do my first shoot post-op from T4-L1.

Nothing can stop you from being who you are unless YOU allow it.

Don't!

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

You guys are all so helpful!

Danielle,
              Have you read the Celestine Prophecy? If you haven't you might like it!
              I sure hope things at school get better. There is just one person who can turn the whole class against me! Thank you!!

Pam,
              You model part time!? WOW! I never really thought I COULD be a model with scoliosis and stuff, but everyone is making this so much easier on me! THANK YOU!

-Lexi -

Thanks everyone, I don't know how I can ever repay you!

Comment

As said, it's a good way to find out who your "real" friends are. Right now, most kids are reacting to the newness of it. It's probably much less common to see a person in a spinal brace than to see them in a cast. Right now, it's a novelty to them. Hook yourself up with those in your life and the things in your life that will build your self esteem. When you feel good about yourself, it makes it much easier to ignore, or more importantly just not pay attention to the kids who want to be insensitive to what's happening. Ignoring others when they teased me growing up was one of the hardest things to do and that was because I was so "different" (medical reasons) and because I didn't have a real good self esteem. Remember that the brace is a tool to help with the scoliosis, it DOES NOT define who you are.

Comment

Stay Strong Lexi

Lex, I have been wearing a Milwaukee brace for some time now and im pretty old and every now and then I feel the same. But I realize how the world is and how I dont want to be part of "that world". If people look at you or make fun of you, its because your different. No one in the world is the same. But many people want to be the same? Why? The whole world is different. Scoli makes me "me" it is part of me and I have to deal with it. If someone is effected by what you look like that really is there problem not yours. Stay strong girl.

Thanks for the thread. if you want to chat, leave a message. =)

kev
                  Kevin
                  AIS and Traumatic Scoliosis
                  Degrees always differ (LOL)
                  THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Lexi-- I'm hoping that as soon as the "newness" of your wearing a brace gets a little older, the kids that are giving you a bad time will forget it. You've gotten a lot of good advice from both kids and some of us that are older. Keep your chin up and be proud of yourself! You're having an adventure and making the best of a sometimes challenging situation! I'm proud of you! And "kev" is so right-- your scoli is part of you, and you are very special!
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Lexi-Anyway, I hope your brace is still going well, and that you stand up strong! You have the power to create what people think of you, if you act like its no deal-most people will ignore it. :-)
                        Last edited by ElleBelleCurvz; 05-30-2008, 11:13 PM.
                        Danielle
                        14 Freshwoman
                        December 1st got no head the boston brace
                        Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                        In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                        In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                        We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Originally posted by ElleBelleCurvz
                          Lexi-Anyway, I hope your brace is still going well, and that you stand up strong! You have the power to create what people think of you, if you act like its no deal-most people will ignore it. :-)
                          Tomorrow if someone makes fun of me I'll just ignore them. I've decided there's only two ways to go. To get better, or to get worse, so I think I'm going to go up from here! Thanks to all who helped!

-Lexi -

Comment

I wish someone had told me the following in high school when I had to wear a brace (post-surgery) and it creaked and the other kids teased me:

High school is a time in your life when you are thrown together with a whole bunch of people who often have very little in common with each other. What ends up happening is they bond by picking on others. Once you are out of high school, and you find a job you're interested in, or you go to college and study something you're interested in, you will meet people similar to you who you will feel comfortable around - and you probably won't see the kids who picked on you anymore.

A good way to make it through high school, is to find something you're interested in, and throw yourself into it (for me, it was music). You'll meet people with a similar interest (who won't pick on you hopefully because you'll all be working toward a common goal) and you'll have an outlet for your frustration.

Kids can be mean, but use it as motivation - I don't think I'd be quite as good a piano player today, if I hadn't been so motivated Good luck to all of you still in high school.
                            - 39 years old
                            - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
                            - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
                            - Harrington rod
                            - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
                            - New mommy as of February 2011
                            - Second child - September 2013
                            - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

MeAndPib, I noticed your thread and had a read through it. You talked about wanting to be a model and it reminded me of a video I saw about a young girl with scoliosis becoming a model. Here is the video. I hope this helps you fulfill your dreams---->

copy an paste this in your browser...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...263896&bbcws=1

Oh and forget those losers who make fun of you at school. When you are older and have fulfilled your dreams they will be a distant memory.
                              45L/40T
                              Surgery 25/1/2010
                              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
                              X