Sharshe update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharshe update

Hi all, Thanks Susie for posting for me. #1 YUCKY the stuff they stick your electrodes on with is gross. I tried combing it out and did ok. When my mom came in she shampooed some more out and then I got a bright idea. I used an alcohol prep pad, that got even more out but there is still some residue. Pt has been in 3 times.
    Saturday I was still in ICU. She asked me about home set up and helped me log roll and sit up. Didn’t do that long. With naturally low B.P. that went even lower + morphine it made me very dizzy and nauseous.
    Monday 9am- someone came in and put a big yellow “fall risk” band on me. I must be special.
    I have been having a urine retention problem. Kept the night people busy Saturday night. Every 1-1.5 hours I was on the commode. Sunday they finally started bladder scans and temporary catheters and sent me for a cat scan. That found nothing wrong. They think it might be some nerves went into shock and it will take some time for things to work right.
    Pt just came in again and went over more stuff and gave me a grabber and sock thing. I will need new socks after using it. I’ll also go to the gym @ 1:45 - time meds.
    As others have said do not go past med times! The nurse let me sleep through my 5:30 am dose. When I woke up it was awful Back to an 8+ and 10 on pain when I sat up. Felt like I wanted the morphine back.
    They give me iron and a softener every day , today they are adding a laxative , and I also get a shot to prevent blood clots. It goes in the belly but isn’t too bad..While the IV was in each hand it was nice for the extra shots.
    I was just put back on the Foley catheter because the temporary can cause infections if used too much. Went back to Pt and walked around and went up 1 step. Also met someone with a similar but smaller surgery that is also using Dr. Anderson.
    The next step is the posterior on Friday.
    Sharon
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Sharshe-- that is absolutely wonderful of you to post so quickly-- and in the "middle" of your two surgeries!!! My gosh, girl, you must be wonder woman!

I don't remember the yucky stuff from the electrodes... so maybe mine was different-- or just maybe my memory is really hazy from those first couple of post-op days (nature's way of helping cope?) What I think is that you are miles ahead of me at that point. I couldn't have cared an iota about hair or yucky stuff! And you can tell from the pics my hubby took!

I remember feeling very dizzy the first couple times they had me sit up and stand up... in fact, we had to wait a little while and try again. And I think it was because of low blood pressure-- and low hemoglobin too maybe... (at least I know it was low--don't know if that can help make you dizzy or not.) That brings us to the catheter business-- I WISHED I could have it in longer. It seemed like such a huge ordeal to have to sit up, get out of bed, walk to the bathroom, etc., when I remembered how very easy it all was with the Foley catheter. But, removing it did the trick of making me get up more often. Sorry to hear about the urine retention problem. Hopefully that problem will get resolved soon.

It sounds like they are keeping you busy with PT. You will be strong and able (ok--relatively) to handle this next surgery on Friday. You are one strong cookie and will do well. It sounds like you're in good hands there. I'll sure keep you in my prayers. Big gentle hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Dear Sharon,

You are amazing to take the time and effort to keep us posted on how you are doing. You seem to be handling things very well and am sure you'll also do well after your surgery Friday notwithstanding the usual post-op issues. I'm on for next month, so I appreciate hearing about the recovery process and issues involved. Take good care and we are cheering for you and wishing you well.
      Rita

Comment

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! Thanks for keeping us all updating. You are a great encouragement to me. I hope I can post so soon after my surgery next week.

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Wow, Sharon, you are really an inspiration! I'm so happy you're doing so well. Best of luck on Friday! You'll be in my prayers!

Connie
          57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
          90 degree rotation

Comment

Sharon, I sent you a PM.

sharon
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I’m baaack! Ok not really, I’m still in the hospital. Hubby just is bringing in the laptop for me to write on then he’ll post it from home-how sweet
              Well since I started with the yucky stuff last post, tonight I’ll attempt to make you all
              Jealous…I got a shower yesterday! I just couldn’t stand it ant more and asked my nurse what I could do about this filthy mop on the top of my head (the thought of going into a second surgery like this was gross). She said since the incisions were healing nicely I could get a shower!YIPEE! Remember though, I only had the anterior. Oh yeah we thought 2 slices but there are actually 3, 1 right below left rib about 3” 1 a smidge back from that 1” and one a couple inches below that around 8”. So anyway, I changed my afternoon plans of taking a walk to getting a shower, very tiring but wonderful! I’ll aim for another one Thursday before next chopchop.
              They finally added Valium to my pain meds. The Lortab just wasn’t cutting it, and I told them, I didn’t think it was doing a darn thing. So one of the night nurses asked the intern if I could have something else. The combo seems to help, I’ve actually gotten down to a 4(if I’m not doing anything and laying at just the right angle). I was able to sit up for all my meals AND probably the only reason I made it through the shower.
              Was measured for my clamshell brace and received it today (Wed).It was custom fitted taking into consideration the amount of correction expected, but he will still be able to fine tune it later if needed. Wore it to PT and redid everything that I did before…
              In & out of tub, up/down stairs, and in/out of “car”. Along with going over all the dressing junk again.
              I keeping busy in my “down time” by rough drafts, painting(brought in watercolor pencils) and reading. But they really do keep you busy.
              Susie, I’m no wonderwoman, just naturally ansty. I do have myself a superman though for going through and supporting me through all this. I keep making him list of stuff to bring and take home.
              Rita, I’m so excited for you Next month will be here before you know it. I’ll try to continue my rambly posts (its not the drugs, honest. My brain is just as disorganized as my house is/was organized).
              Shell, Good luck! You’ll do great. You’ll be in my prayers, ‘cause God can decifer even my loopyness
              So one down, one to go. Now if only I wouldn’t feel so bad about pressing a button to ask someone to close the drapes(I’m just soo lazy).
              Sharon

PS I know she is feeling better she cleaned her room today.
              Bud (Mr Sharshe)
              2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Sharon-- you sound so good and so perky!!! I'm so glad you got to shower and wash your hair today. Nothing like clean hair to make you feel good!

It sounds like they have you pretty busy with PT-- and that you are doing wonderfully! And cleaning your room too? Woowhee. Are you sure you're not wonder woman???

I sent a PM to you both earlier today, but then thought maybe you wouldn't think about checking for PMs. I'm sure thinking of you and know you'll come through with flying colors on Friday. Looking forward to more updates!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Thinking of you!

Sharon-- thinking of you and your hubby as you get ready for surgery #2. I'll be praying for you tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing how well it goes. Hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Second surgery

The second surgery went well. There is more pain and swelling as could be expected. She was face down for the approximately 7 hours so her face was swollen and she couldn't open her eyes for a while (guppy face).It was nice we knew this was going to happen. The doctor said everything went well and the after x-rays look good. She can move all her fingers and toes and is in as good of spirits as can be expected. They went from T3 all the down.

Bud
                    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Best wishes to Sharon...

Thanks Bud for the update and tell her she's an inspiration to us all. Best wishes for her recovery.
                      Susan
                      XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

That's great news! So glad she is through both surgeries!

Best regards,
                        sharon
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Super news, Bud. Thanks so much for posting. Big, gentle hugs for her. Take care of yourself too.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Thanks for posting, Bud. That's wonderful news! Now the healing and recovery can begin. Please let her know we're thinking of her and praying for her.

Connie
                            57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
                            90 degree rotation

Comment

sunday update

Sharon was up in a chair for an hour again today. They had some high heart rates last night so since they found a murmur a few weeks ago they put her on oxygen. She needed 2 units of blood after the surgery and they had to give her another 2 today because her red count was low. So she has some good some not so good but nothing bad so far.
                              Bud
                              5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Working...
                              X