Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Michael Neuwirth/Beth Israel Hospital

Hi,

I've recently starting posting in the Surgical First time area. I now accept the fact that I need surgery, and have to decide who I want to do the surgery. We saw Dr. Michael Neuwirth last week and I was very impressed with him, his staff and the whole process. He operates at Beth Israel Hospital.

In a few weeks we have an appointment with Dr. Boachie who operates at Hospital for SPecial Surgeries.

My dilema is that Dr. N and BI Hospital are in my network, Dr. B and HSS are both out. (although I do have some out of network coverage.) I think that I feel comfortable with Dr. N as a surgeon, but I'm a little leary of the hospital, as they don't have as good a record as HSS as far as infections, deaths, etc.

Has anyone used Dr. Neuwirth?

I am driving myself insane, and we haven't even met with Dr. B yet. Thanks for any advice.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Debbe-- have you done an internet search about Dr. Neuwirth and Beth Israel? I just googled them and read pretty much what I expected... all good stuff. I don't think you could go wrong with them if that's what you choose... although there are risks with any hospital and any surgeon.

I don't know if this is the correct hospital, but think it is... and its orthopedics and spine surgery accolades listed in this link sound good.

http://www.wehealny.org/patients/bi_home/bi_index.html

If you are aggressive in your desire to find out if it's what you want, you could also contact them (or Dr. Neuwirth) and explain your concerns about it not being ranked as opposed to HSS, and ask what that means in regards to your safety and care.

From what I've read so far, on the internet and on the forum, I think you would be in excellent hands with either surgeon-- and the insurance would be much easier if you go with Dr. N. This is a tough decision to make-- and ultimately only you can do that. Again, good luck/best wishes as you pursue your options and make this decision.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I will talk to Dr N's office about my concerns

someone in the other thread on 1st time surgeries posted a link that showed Beth Israel with a very good record

http://www.healthgrades.com/consumer...&useragree=yes

And someone else suggested that the HSS has such low infection rates because so many (well off) people get private nurses. So I suggested to my hubby the possibility of having the surgery at BI with Doctor N, and getting a private nurse there.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I can't tell you how much all of you are helping me get through this in my head.

Comment

Debbe ...

Things seem to take on earth-shattering magnitude as you get closer to surgery. People on here probably thought I was a maniacal, hyperfocused, anal NUT pre-op. People that knew me in person assumed I'd been bodysnatched by aliens: "organized" and my name *never* meet in the same sentence unless prefaced by "UN".

Most of my stress was over lists ... lists of things to do, to buy, how to set up the house, cooking ahead and freezing, a schedule of who'd stop by and when ... you name it, I had it on a list. I only knew that I HAD to be prepared to recover solo, had NO idea what kind of shape I'd be in, and crossing every single item off those lists became my sole purpose in life.

They were invaluable, yes. They also made me a stressed out, tweaking crazy person. Looking back, I WAS a maniac ... albeit an *extremely* organized one.

I literally had contingencies (usually x3) and backups upon backups. When it got down to days before, I was freaking over every single thing that didn't get crossed off the list. I think I seriously believed even ONE unfinished line item would ruin the WHOLE DAMN plan.

Some wise veterans told me what didn't get done wouldn't be the end of the world, and of course (back THEN) I thought *they* were nuts. They were, of course, absolutely right.

I know this is different, but I'm going to go ahead and gently suggest you're hyperfocusing just as extensively as I did.

Both Neuwirth and Beth Israel have good track records. Because Beth Israel doesn't have THE absolute lowest post-op infection rate doesn't make them substandard - or mean you need a private nurse.

Relax ... it's going to be fine .

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam, I know you're right

I could actually laugh when I read your post this morning. I know, I just need to take a chill pill and relax for a few weeks.

When big things happen like this, I'm always making lists and organizing as well. This time though I think I'll have my hubby take charge and rely on him to keep things going. I know my parents would come stay with me for a while, so that would be a great help.

Besides, any surgery is months away. I have to get myself mentally and physically in better shape.

Thanks!

Comment

Glad you could laugh ... I highly encourage it as a pre-op stress remedy!

I have faith you're going to make the right choices for you, hon, and in no way did I intend to minimize the decisions ahead of you; they're big ones.

We've all been there ... and made it through to the other side. You will too.

Your plan to focus on mental/physical strength is a good one, and one that will serve you well through recovery. Attitude plays *such* a large role pre-op, and an even larger one post-op!

Speaking of physical conditioning, I don't know if anyone's told you - focus on building up your arms, legs and core. Do NOT build up back muscles ... more muscle mass is just more the surgeon has to get through. Keep them stretched along with your entire body, but that's it. Balance balls are GREAT for doing all the exercises that will serve you well post op.

I think it's wise to avail yourself to willing sources of support (your hubby, parents, friends, etc.).

If you just *have* to make lists (I know I did - LOL!) make lists of what you'll need help with after surgery. Pretend (although it's doubtful it'll be reality) you won't be able to lift a finger. What basics would you need?

Perhaps someone to:

- take your kids to school, practices, other activities
            - do laundry
            - handle meals/pack lunches
            - wash dishes (I went all plastic/paper - and froze ahead)
            - make grocery store runs
            - pick up your meds/other medical items
            - get you to doctor appts early on
            - help you shower, wash your hair, color your hair (none of which may be needed)
            - mail bills/checks in envelopes you've pre-addressed ...

These are just a few examples. It's tough for most of us, but assume when someone asks what they can do, they REALLY want to help. Have your list ready, and let them choose what they have the time and skills to do.

That's wonderful your family is able to help you, but there's nothing wrong with letting friends give your "helpers" some help from time to time .

Best regards,
            Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey Debbe,

My anxiety level is at an all time high. That link I sent you did nothing to calm my jitters when I saw that the hospital I’m headed off to for surgery is rated * (poor) in the area of spinal fusion. And these ratings are based on the number of major complications occurring during or following surgery.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                Hey Debbe,

My anxiety level is at an all time high. That link I sent you did nothing to calm my jitters when I saw that the hospital I’m headed off to for surgery is rated * (poor) in the area of spinal fusion. And these ratings are based on the number of major complications occurring during or following surgery.

Chris
                HI Chris,
                When are you scheduled?

I yesterday when I was speaking to the nurse practitioner from Dr. N's office regarding my stinky bone density, as long as I had her on the phone I asked her about this. She that that more than anything, if a fusion patient is going to get an infection, it's because of something that happens (or doesn't I guess) during the surgery itself. She said that instead of looking at the hospital's stats, you should look at the surgeon's stats. She said theirs for this year are less than 2%. Which I guess is normal, but seems high to me!!

My anxiety level is like a rollercoaster. Sometimes, like last night, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. I am TRYING not to be a basket case, but if you asked my friends/family, they'd probably say I'm not doing such a good job right now.

Of course it doesn't help that this morning my neighbor hit my car as we were both leaving. My back was a little achy to begin with and now I'm wondering if the little 'accident' made it worse. SHEESH I need this like a hole in the head.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, my point was, see if you can get your surgeon's stats.

Comment

I’m scheduled for June 23. I know all about sleepless nights. Haven’t had a restful night’s sleep for a long time now. I find myself habitually awakening at 2:30 every morning, can’t get back to sleep, and then have to start getting ready for work at 6:00. It’s really wearing me down.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
                    I’m scheduled for June 23. I know all about sleepless nights. Haven’t had a restful night’s sleep for a long time now. I find myself habitually awakening at 2:30 every morning, can’t get back to sleep, and then have to start getting ready for work at 6:00. It’s really wearing me down.

Chris
                    Boy, does this bring back memories. Having gone through a very similar scenario, I can't imagine how you're managing to work, Chris. I feel for you.

Fortunately, my doctor put me on short term disability the day I decided to have surgery (Dec. 5th, 2007): I was to the point I couldn't sit at a desk and program anymore.

Aside from the scoliotic pain between my shoulder blades, I had near constant 3mm protrusions at C5/C6 and C6/C7 in my cervical compensatory curve. It felt like I had 100 lbs. on top of my head.

It had gotten to where I'd just sit and cry in my office all day when I had to go in (it was only *slightly* better when working at home, but at least I could take breaks on my inversion bed).

I couldn't fall asleep, and when I did (usually about 4:00 a.m. - if at all), I never slept for more than a few hours. My days and nights eventually became *completely* reversed.

Do you have any options available for paid medical leave or short term disability?

As far as the hospital infection rates, I agree with Debbe ... ask your surgeon about his infection rates - and I would even say ask hospital administration to provide percentage of overall infection rates specific to your surgeon.

Have you discussed your concerns with him? Is this the only hospital where he operates?

If the rates are truly excessive, you *could* talk to him about prophylactic antibiotics, although I can't say how amenable he'd be to the idea unless he feels the rates are excessive - or you have had a prior infection.

I had a history of MRSA (ironically from breast augmentation in 2001 at the same hospital - Methodist - where my fusion was performed), so I ALWAYS at least get IV Vancomycin during surgery. Hanson also gave me oral Bactrim the week prior to surgery. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I wouldn't recommend Vanco to anyone. Yes, it's effective, but it's extremely caustic ... that's what kept blowing my IV's post-op, and I actually had a blister on my skin where a drop landed as they removed the IV. All that said, it's preferable to MRSA *any* day.

Infection rates for MRSA and VRE are *much* lower today than in 2001. I ran across some startling facts when I found out I was infected: As many as 9 out of 10 keyboards in some ICU's (back in 2001) cultured positive for MRSA.

Today, you see signs *everywhere* instructing staff to wash their hands, and consequently, the rates have dropped *dramatically*.

Have a talk with your surgeon, Chris ... perhaps he can put your mind at ease.

Best regards,
                    Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam,

I don’t mind working (even though I’m not getting enough sleep). It keeps my mind occupied with other things besides all this scoli stuff. And I’m not in pain while working, so there’s no need for me to take a leave. I’ll be doing plenty of that after surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei
                        Hi,

I've recently starting posting in the Surgical First time area. I now accept the fact that I need surgery, and have to decide who I want to do the surgery. We saw Dr. Michael Neuwirth last week and I was very impressed with him, his staff and the whole process. He operates at Beth Israel Hospital.

In a few weeks we have an appointment with Dr. Boachie who operates at Hospital for SPecial Surgeries.

My dilema is that Dr. N and BI Hospital are in my network, Dr. B and HSS are both out. (although I do have some out of network coverage.) I think that I feel comfortable with Dr. N as a surgeon, but I'm a little leary of the hospital, as they don't have as good a record as HSS as far as infections, deaths, etc.

Has anyone used Dr. Neuwirth?

I am driving myself insane, and we haven't even met with Dr. B yet. Thanks for any advice.
                        Hi Debbe,

I live in NJ also and need surgury. It's hard to find a doctor you can trust, especially when surgury like this is risky. How did you go about finding a doctor and finally finding one like Dr. Michael Neuwirth?

Comment

Swimgirl,

I just PM'd you. Sorry I didn't see your quetion until today.

Comment

Working...
                          X