Is surgery a must for adult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is surgery a must for adult?

Hi everyone, I am new here.my name is Jesse, I am 23 .and it's been 5 years since I found I had the scoliosis.now it is 38 degree ,but five years ago it was 30 degree!

the doctor said to do the operation or not ,it is up to you. so now ,I am in a dilemma

I got from one thread in the forum that it will develop even in one's adulthood?

so what should I do now? Is surgery a must ?

thank u !~

Hi Jesse...

Most surgeons won't even consider surgery on an adult until they have at least a 40 degree curve, and many won't consider it until the curve(s) reach 50 degrees.

It's entirely possible that you'll be able to avoid surgery forever, so if I were you, that would be my first goal. If/when you start thinking seriously about surgery, you should get a second opinion to confirm that it's the right thing to do.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jesse,

I agree with Linda. It doesn't sound like your curve has quite reached the point of surgery, however, it is possible that some day it will. Just having recently gone through the surgery myselft, if I was not at the degree I was, I would have loved to skip surgery. I would also get a second opinion. At this point, you may just want to wait and see how it progresses. Plus, since you are so young, you still have time to watch it and if you still need surgery down the road, you can still do it at a younger age so it will be easier on you.

Best of luck !
      Jamie Age 29
      Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
      2008 Curves - 39/63/44
      Surgery Date - 3/25/08
      T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Thank you and some questions

Thank you ,Linda and Jamie!~
        I know that 40 degrees and over is in the range of surgery. and maybe after surgery I will get some problem while doing sports.eg, I could probabaly not play volleyball which I like very much now

so maybe keep watching is the best choice for me.but the question is I take the risk of curves-growing.

I also have 27 degree curve in lumbar, and the doc said the curve will probabaly grow after pregnancy . I also met a women whose curve did grow after she gave birth to her child.

so I am wondering if I will be like her, is doing a surgery earlier is better.
        I also heard that if the spine spins, more possibility for curve grows

so that is what I am worrying now.

another question, if I keep on watching, what execises should I do?(although I heard exercise can't keep the curve from growing?)

Still thanks for all!~

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse
          Thank you ,Linda and Jamie!~
          I know that 40 degrees and over is in the range of surgery. and maybe after surgery I will get some problem while doing sports.eg, I could probabaly not play volleyball which I like very much now

so maybe keep watching is the best choice for me.but the question is I take the risk of curves-growing.

I also have 27 degree curve in lumbar, and the doc said the curve will probabaly grow after pregnancy . I also met a women whose curve did grow after she gave birth to her child.

so I am wondering if I will be like her, is doing a surgery earlier is better.
          I also heard that if the spine spins, more possibility for curve grows

so that is what I am worrying now.

another question, if I keep on watching, what execises should I do?(although I heard exercise can't keep the curve from growing?)

Still thanks for all!~
          Hi Jessie:I just came from Germany learnning the intense Schroth Method given to 150 patients from 7 to 70 years old . www:scoliosistreatment-schroth.com for another option vrs. surgery .PM

Comment

Second opinion and Spinecor

Hi Jessie,

I agree with the others who say that you should get a second opinion. And a third....would not be bad. Have a look at the website for the spinecor brace, at www.spinecorporation.com. Not only adolescents are fitted with it, but also adults. You can also take a look at the Maclean's magazine article by Sharon Dunn, february 08, entitled "Amazing Brace". Her son is about your age, and was greatly helped by the brace. It is always worth trying.
            Keep up the search!!! Good luck.

Marie

Comment

40 degrees and over is in the range of surgery. and maybe after surgery I will get some problem while doing sports.eg, I could probabaly not play volleyball which I like very much now

Jesse,

Sports are not completely out after surgery (IF it even comes to that): I think it depends largely on what levels are fused - and also your attitude/motivation. I have every intention of returning to competitive slow and fast pitch softball in the next few months.

Also, it is not a given a curve will progress during pregnancy. I have 2 kids, and my cuvature wasn't affected by carrying either.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you all!~I think I should ask for more advices from more people.
                my parents and other relatives don\t think I should have a surgery now, but they are not sure if the curve will progress.
                my Uncle who is a doctor suggest me do not take the surgery for risks it may bring . Mom said if there is not much inconvinience in the after-suegery time, then take a surgery is OK . it is really a fussing question.

and I have a question for Txmarinemom: I saw your file in your sign ,so what makes you take the surgery? is that because of pain, or something else?(because most people do it to prevent some other symproms which may happen in their 60s or 70s )

Thanks~!

Comment

... and I have a question for Txmarinemom: I saw your file in your sign ,so what makes you take the surgery? is that because of pain, or something else?(because most people do it to prevent some other symproms which may happen in their 60s or 70s )
                  Jesse -

Yes, I had surgery on a stable curve because the pain was increasing. I had pain all my life, but over the last year or so it definitely worsened.

I don't regret it a bit in my case (it remedied the pain very effectively), but I'll also say it was a last resort.

Just keep an eye on your curve, and hopefully you can avoid surgery altogether .

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Jesse,

I agree that watching it for a while is probably a smart thing. One thing I wish I knew when I was younger was something I just read in Dr. Neuwirth's book. He suggests that an xray be taken after each pregnancy to determine if the curve has progressed.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei
                      One thing I wish I knew when I was younger was something I just read in Dr. Neuwirth's book. He suggests that an xray be taken after each pregnancy to determine if the curve has progressed.
                      Good advice, Debbe. The combination of hormones, extra weight, etc. can wreak havoc with some women's bodies during pregnancy - and definitely with their curves.

I had both my kids early (19 and 21 - gained 28 lbs with the 1st, 38 with the 2nd, so no extreme additional stress carrying them). Diagnosed as early as I was (10 years old), and dealing with pain for so many years, I had my curve x-rayed every 2-3 years in adulthood (that's how I know it never progressed).

I've also never had any hormone related issues - and I know I've read where people believe they progressed from an excess (pregnancy), imbalance, or their curve took off post-menopause.

Speaking of hormones, I recently read some interesting studies on how scoliosis can be affected ... I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

I keep a big ol' folder on my computer of article links, but I'm generally pretty remiss at giving them an intelligible name so I can find them later - LOL. (i.e., the ADHD rules, and my filing system is crap! I'm doing better than before, however ... at least they're all in one place - even IF I still can't find what I need. )

Regards,
                      Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                        I've also never had any hormone related issues - and I know I've read where people believe they progressed from an excess (pregnancy), imbalance, or their curve took off post-menopause.

Speaking of hormones, I recently read some interesting studies on how scoliosis can be affected ... I'll have to see if I can dig them up.
                        Pam,
                        Yes I'd be interested in that info. I think I've always had hormone imbalances. Irregular periods, and was on the pill for years to be regulated, as well as for BC. Then when I was trying to get preg. with #3, I was TERRIBLY imbalanced, that was after a miscarriage. During preg#3, I was low on progesterone, I had to take progesterone suppositories so I didn't lose the baby. For the past 3/4 years, I'm still not regular. I wonder if this was part of my progression problem. Thank goodness I'm going for this surgery before menopause or heaven knows how I would end up. Actually, I think I do know--just like my materal grandmother who was a spinal mess

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Bear with me, Debbe ... It was actually articles on collagen and scoliosis - and how it (collagen) can (supposedly) supress progesterone ...

I'm getting warmer, anyway ... and although I remember thinking "well ... isn't THAT interesting?", I can't recall whether I actually was convinced it was valid (i.e., your mileage may vary).

Back with what I dig up as soon as I can find where I put it ...

Regards,
                          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                          X