Rib pain pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib pain pole

I was wondering how long the rib pain lasts for different people. Mine is so sore, feels like broken ribs and gets worse if I walk just a little to far and also as the day progresses. Would love to know how long it lasts for most. It is actually much worse than the pain in my back.
    CarolS
    68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
    Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
    Osteotomy March 20,2008
    Thrilled with results!

I had awful rib pain for quite awhile. I know I mentioned it at my 2 month post op visit, and my surgeon said it could last another 8 months (which would have been about 10 months post op). I'm now about 5.5 months, and it's been gone for a while. I would say it stopped somewhere around 4 months post op.

My yoga teacher showed me some breathing tecniques that really helped. I don't remember the specifics now, but essentially it was taking slow, deep breaths (at least 4 counts inhale, 6 counts exhale) at least 10 times. It helped quite a bit (so did the dilaudid, but I hated taking it).

Good luck.
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

My rib pain was WAY more intense than the back pain and hurt a lot for at least 9 months. It is still tender and sore but much less intense than it was. I'm still very aware of it when I walk but it doesn't slow me down anymore. Honestly, I think I've just gotten used to it. Also, the warm-water therapy I've started is very soothing and seems to be helping a lot. It also helps to pull in your tummy (around your belly button) when you move around because it stabilizes your lower spine and holds things in place.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Rib Pain in Posterior Approach?

I haven't had surgery yet, so I'm wondering if there is a lot of rib pain from posterior approach alone. First surgeon I saw wanted to to A/P, but 2nd doc says posterior is all I need. I'm to see third doc (Boachie) next month.

I can see why anterior would be painful, due to cutting of ribs, but am hopeful that posterior is not too bad, as far as rib pain.

Peachy

Comment

Peachy-- mine was posterior only, and I haven't had any rib pain.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Peachy
            I haven't had surgery yet, so I'm wondering if there is a lot of rib pain from posterior approach alone. First surgeon I saw wanted to to A/P, but 2nd doc says posterior is all I need. I'm to see third doc (Boachie) next month.

I can see why anterior would be painful, due to cutting of ribs, but am hopeful that posterior is not too bad, as far as rib pain.

Peachy
            Hi Peachy,
            The rib pain seems to come from the anterior approach. They don't cut your ribs. My incision is below my waistline and it really does bother me much more than my posterior incision. Not sure if it is the fact that everything has moved about.
            CarolS
            Osteotomy March 20,2008
            Thrilled with results!

Comment

Originally posted by Peachy
              I haven't had surgery yet, so I'm wondering if there is a lot of rib pain from posterior approach alone. ... I can see why anterior would be painful, due to cutting of ribs, but am hopeful that posterior is not too bad, as far as rib pain.
              I had posterior only approach surgery, and there's still some rib pain (then again, I'm just 14-1/2 weeks post-op). It's not unbearable by any means.

It's most noticeable upon waking in the mornings, and can best be described as a dull ache and stiffness. My morning routine never varies:
              • Take 2 Norco (10/325 x 2)
              • Take 100 mg of Gabapentin (damn phantom itching ... regenerate or DIE already!)
              • 5 mg of Valium
              • Zombie walk (think "Shawn of the Dead ... yawning, moaning, smacking and all) to the kitchen
              • Carry the coffee I set up the night prior back to bed
              • Start the caffeine I.V.
              • Read or read email for 30 minutes
              • Start the day!

Throughout the day, I only take my Gabapentin and the Valium. No pain meds - even OTC ones - are usually required. Yeah, *some* days they are, but not all that often.

I will say this: The worst thing that can happen in my morning (and it's minor) is I sneeze before the meds kick in. That sh** is "not so comfy", and it will leave me more sore than usual.

Also, one of the neat benefits of surgery is my right ribcage (think under the boob - a common thing with thoracic curves) no longer protrudes. While it rarely bothers me, on occasion, it feels like there's some kind of "grinding" in there. Maybe "normal" people have this and I just never knew, ... well, you know ... because I wasn't .

At this point - all things considered - I'm feeling great. All my bending, lifting and twisting restrictions were lifted at 8 weeks, and never caused any pain once I started those movements.

Vndy and Singer both brought up some good points: Deep breathing exercises DO help, as does good posture/form (like Chris described as bringing in your belly button) and warm water. (I learned the hard way - more than once ... doh! - that heat packs are a BAD plan on a numb back ... warm water, much more safe!)

Once you're able to start core strengthening, that should also provide some relief.

Hang in there!

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

I had terrible rib pain intermittently after my first surgery, and it lasted for YEARS!!! interestingly, I don't remember having any since my revision, so I'm wondering if they loosened up some scar tissue or something. the pain was on the side of my anterior insision, on the front/side (just under the bra back strap). My surgeon couldn't explain it.
                1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
                2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
                2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
                Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

My ribs and middle back hurt so badly today, I could hardly wait to get home from work to take muscle relaxers and pain med!! I did a little more physical work today than usual in that i was packing some personal things I have accumulated thru the years at school. I didn't pick up the packed boxes, but did scoot them across the room to the outside door.

My original surgeries were 2 1/2 yrs ago, and my revision was done 7 months ago. It is discouraging to still be in such pain at this stage

Comment

Well, my rib pain has been discouraging, however it is getting better slowly but surely...
                    Had my surgery 04/04/07 ... still have rib pain especially on tiring days.. sometimes still hurts so bad that have to take narc pain meds...
                    Things are getting better though!
                    Courage.
                    Paula
                    Me: almost 43 .........
                    scoli since age 6.. milwaukee brace 10 years
                    surgery 04/04/2007 ...
                    13 verterbrae w/ rib recession ...
                    1 year post op.. feeling MUCH better.. still rib and shoulder paid but no back pain!!

Comment

Rib Pain

I am just about 2 years post op and my rib pain is horrible. It always has been and I am pretty sure it may always be that way. I can't say I have much back pain but the pain I do have is way too much. I went to a new pain clinic the other day and when I showed him where it hurt he said in the medical field they do not call that area the back. He said it was flank... I guess like the steak. Anyway, I had some injections done into my sacroilliac joint for some other hip and butt pain ( sorry i know its wierd )and next month when I go back he is going to do them under my rib to see if it will help with the excruciating pain. If it helps with the rib pain it will be a miracle and I will let you all know!!!

Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 Rib Removed
                      Anterior / June 5 , 2006
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their own stories. Looks like this is going to take more time than I had thought. I am hoping the physio has some ideas and if he does I will be sure to share. Everyone have a good weekend.
                        CarolS
                        Osteotomy March 20,2008
                        Thrilled with results!

Comment

Working...
                        X