My 3-month checkup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3-month checkup

I had my 3-month checkup yesterday and just wanted everyone to know “IT’S ALL GOOD!” Everything checked out just fine – the fusion looks good.

I still have some tightness/stiffness in my pelvic area, some lingering issues with my left leg and spasms in my neck and shoulder blades. But none of these are debilitating, thank goodness. My conservative doc still doesn’t want me to do any other exercise besides walking (and some isometrics for my neck). I can do 30 minutes on the treadmill, but can’t go very far outside yet; I still have that bending over problem when I get tired. But if all continues to go well I will be off all restrictions at 6 months.

All in all, I feel better than I have in 3 years! I’m starting to believe that this surgery might have done the trick and I can start getting back to living my life (which is what I have been doing and why I haven’t been posting much lately). I just wanted to give you an update, and to thank all of you for your support and good wishes for all of my surgeries. I think the collective positive energy worked!
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Hooray!

That's wonderful news, Felicia! I'm so glad you're able to resume "living your life"-- thanks for the update!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

That's my girl! I had a strong feeling this surgery was *it* (as you know), but more than anything, I knew if you got your foot in the door you were going to sieze control again ;-).

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Felicia!

May you remain - in the past tense (i.e., NO more troubles!) - an inspiration to all.

Big hugs,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Great news, Felicia. Keep up the good work and don't try to do too much! (I kept having to learn this over and over....)
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

trulyaris,
          what a good report. It is wonderful to hear that you are on your way to getting your life back. I wonder if I may ask you a question or two, as I am facing revison soon. Were you able to drive, participate in any social activity, shop, etc prior to the surgery? Do you anticipate being able to go back to work, have some sort of a social life, keep the young children in your family from time-to-time, etc.? I am just not sure what to fully expect after revision. Any insight would be appreciated.
          scoli appeared age 15
          untreated until age 30
          41* T & 72* L
          Harrington Rod T4 to L4
          33* T & 53* L
          neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
          Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

Yes, sort of ...

Taylor -
            As you can see by my signature, this was my fourth fusion surgery. To answer your questions, yes, I was able to continue most activities, despite being in constant pain and inability to stand upright. It just required adjustments, such as avoiding activities that required too much walking, and planning my day to allow for regular rests. Of course, driving is restricted after surgery for whatever period of time your surgeon feels best. I chose to quit work 3 years ago to focus on getting my back straightened out (pun intended!). But although I turned 65 this year, I am planning to try some freelance work sometime this year in order to pay off bills that have accumulated.

My surgery history is not typical. Although there are some people on this forum who have had more surgeries, most have fewer. And you'll find many posts on this site concerning revisions, and many who had Harrington rods (I did not).

Good luck with your decision.
            FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
            10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
            8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
            5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
            2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
            3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
            X